Re-Gearing

Twozup

Reaction score
I'm going to be replacing my rear tyre within next month or so and was toying with notion of gearing down the bike ie losing some top end speed for low down grunt (something I've done previously on other bikes and what a difference!)

Anyone did it to the 09 yet?

I don't use the top speed much and would sacrifice that last 10-20mph for more drive lower down.

Sent from my mind using my fingers

marcusfordus

Reaction score
If it lifts the front in third gear at the moment, are you aiming to go skywards ?

There is so much torque, I often set off in 2nd gear anyway !

flydnb

Reaction score
heres my 2 penneth, right the mt is quite low geared anyway and I think any lower would be just be to low as I think first gear std gearing is a bit to low anyway , if anything I would gear it a tad higher with a couple of teeth smaller on the back, then with change of gearing you will probably have to get a speedo healer too.

marthy

Reaction score
I looked into it this week. -1 front is about 350 RPM @ 70 MPH. Thinking about for when time comes...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Losing a tooth on the front is always recommended over adding on the back. That's gonna be one crazy wheelie machine if u do that mate, (like it isn't already one at the moment)! Lol

MT-09. Wheelie Wheelie Mental

RipGroove

Reaction score
Going down a tooth on the front?! You're mad! I was actually thinking of going down a tooth on the back to get some rideability rather than keep wheelieing everywhere.

Sent from outer space

Schultzy

Reaction score
lol

I made gearing changes like that to my R1 which worked a treat as they are geared for top end speed etc, but on this bike (which is already geared well for the street with power available straight away) to drop a tooth will mean you will have a nuts wheelie machine.

Normally you'd do that to get more acceleration but your just going to get more wheelies on this bike - great if you want a stunter!
[MENTION=154]flydnb[/MENTION] - good point re. speedohealer - if you change gearing it will send your mileage way off so youll want to adjust it with a speedohealer

marthy

Reaction score
Losing a tooth on the front is always recommended over adding on the back. That's gonna be one crazy wheelie machine if u do that mate, (like it isn't already one at the moment)! Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Birdy

Reaction score
I once had aGSX 750 twin shock ,which i monod (?) using a ZZR 600 swing arm and wheel....all was going well till i ordered a new chain and sprocket set from my local bike shop .Had to be made up specially because of the chain size . In my haste to order , i picked up an old sprocket off my XR 250... are you sure its 52 teeth he said....of course i am , im not an idiot....thought something was amiss when i picked it up ... the sprocket was allmost the same size as the rear wheel , and i was the proud owner of about 9ft of chain .... now that was undergeared .This is brought up with tedious regularity with my "mates".

MT-Pete

Reaction score

Losing 1 tooth off the front equates to adding 3 teeth to the rear, so you don't have the same fine adjustment altering the front as you do the rear.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I once had aGSX 750 twin shock ,which i monod (?) using a ZZR 600 swing arm and wheel....all was going well till i ordered a new chain and sprocket set from my local bike shop .Had to be made up specially because of the chain size . In my haste to order , i picked up an old sprocket off my XR 250... are you sure its 52 teeth he said....of course i am , im not an idiot....thought something was amiss when i picked it up ... the sprocket was allmost the same size as the rear wheel , and i was the proud owner of about 9ft of chain .... now that was undergeared .This is brought up with tedious regularity with my "mates".
Haha. I think we shud call u sprocket from now on lol

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was debating whether to post this...had enough piss taking over years..but i knew you lot would be more mature ! :rolleyes:
Oh mate u know we wudnt ridicule u like that...! Lol. Well not all of us anyway tehehe