Re Rad covers/protection

lee1980

Reaction score
Strikes me mad there is no protection I saw on the MT-09 rad, would of thought there be a simple black plastic slitted cover, like I had on my 2001 hornet, I did swap that out for stainless one.
Its pretty big on MT-09 to, did you all get one before riding to much or not bother? any major dings?

I was lking the evotech as its not to shiny bling, as go to order today out of stock lol! doh!

flydnb

Reaction score
I haven't got one and no dings , I don't like to add weight if its not really needed, the rad sits quite high anyway.

lee1980

Reaction score
I see, though sure its more likely to get a stone etc flicked up from car/bike in front!

stevecbr

Reaction score
i have the R&G one fitted from new. Personally I would definately recommend one, I often ride fast in a group, and often get stones flicked at me. I have got little nicks in the top of the forks, about headlight level, where stones have dinged the forks

alan_manic

Reaction score
i have the R&G one fitted from new. Personally I would definately recommend one, I often ride fast in a group, and often get stones flicked at me. I have got little nicks in the top of the forks, about headlight level, where stones have dinged the forks
I fitted the R&G rad guard too. It weighs feck all....don't get how folk can be concerned about the extra weight?

flipper

Reaction score
never had a holed radiator.... don't see the need to fit a guard.

I've had loads of punctures though.

Last edited:

lee1980

Reaction score
Never had a holed one either just lotsa bent fins looks crap, Id be happy with a cheapo plastic one, R&G look not to bad but pricy to! Power bronze lol looks to me it belongs on a chromed up cruiser lol

stevecbr

Reaction score
Never had a holed one either just lotsa bent fins looks crap, Id be happy with a cheapo plastic one, R&G look not to bad but pricy to! Power bronze lol looks to me it belongs on a chromed up cruiser lol
I'm the same, never had a holed one but lots of stone hits when the fins all flatten, and the outside aluminium black paint flakes off making it all look crap. With the yamaha rad covers and R&G protector, should keep everything looking good

PaulG

Reaction score
I make cheap and cheerful guards from steel mesh waste paper baskets.$15 basket ,slice it up to size with a cut-off wheel in a angle grinder using a length of steel flat bar as a straight edge,fold the edges against the flat bar where necessary,stick some plastic beading around the edge and Robert is your parent's sibling.

IMG_0660.jpg