Real World MPG

Del Mar

Reaction score
Never mind what Yamaha or the press say, how are you all finding the true MPG for your MT?

Short commutes, long ride outs, bonkers fast runs??

It must be my age, but I'd like to see a genuine average of around 45 MPG

Thanks

pipski99

Reaction score
I'm getting around 49 MPG from mine but that's only measured on my first 232 miles.

Check out www.fuelly.com and you can monitor your own real world MPG by recording your odometer reading and how many litres you add each fill up.

My profile is in the link in my signiture if you click it you'll see my stats.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

marcusfordus

Reaction score
You need a lesson on riding smooth pip. I'd be crying everytime I filled up the bike with figures like that.

Sent from my XT615 using Tapatalk 2

pipski99

Reaction score
Really? 49 mpg while running in the engine and running through the gears so as to not hold the engine at a constant rpm. I don't think that's bad at all and I'm happy with it.

lucky I don't have your expectations or I may cry too.

dapsmt09

Reaction score
49mpg is bloody fantastic!!!!!!

Most fuel efficient bike I have ever owned and believe me I have owned lots.

Cheers daps.:cool:

marcusfordus

Reaction score
The most fuel efficient bike.

49mpg is bloody fantastic!!!!!!

Most fuel efficient bike I have ever owned and believe me I have owned lots.

Cheers daps.:cool:
My 37th bike was the best for being frugal. BMW F800 GS, bought it new in 2010, ran it in properly and it could be coaxed up to 80mpg. If it dropped down to 65 it had been ridden hard for the day. 16 litre tank was all it needed.
The best from an MT is 68 so far, but I'll beat it when the weather gets warmer and I get out more ;)

dapsmt09

Reaction score
Well one of my other current bikes is an Aprilia rsv4 factory that I ust to race but is now back in road trim so that is probably why I think 49mpg is great because that does about 25mpg at best ha ha.

Cheers daps:cool:

pipski99

Reaction score
All I care about is that my MT is giving me 100 times more fun than my Saab 9-3 regardless of fuel economy but it just happens that the MT also returns better MPG than the car so with the MT it's a win win for me.

Should we ride the MT "smoothly" all the time and try to attain max MPG or mix it up and ride the bike hard sometimes? Most of the reviews I've read or watched refer to it as a hooligan, a beast or a monster. If fuel economy was the SOLE factor when choosing a bike then we may all be riding Honda PCX scooters and averaging around 120-130 MPG but having no fun.

The MT really is the perfect mix of mad fun and amazing fuel economy for me.

stevecbr

Reaction score
Getting 48mpg according to bike, works out 46mpg when I calculate it correctly. I'm happy with those figures, as using it for short commute in cold weather. I expect it will be over 50mpg in warmer weather and on longer runs. I dont particually try and ride economically though

Stripy

Reaction score
Sound about right.
Feel free to follow up and see my Fuelly by clicking the link in my signature; i commute 7 miles in through Manchester, then 5 on motorway, and 1.5 on a 40-road, so a bit stop-start and hard accelerations, can't complain about the mileage, this wonder bike gives.
And don't forget how fun it is :D

Cypher

Reaction score
Unfortunately all my riding is done in the very centre of London. 6.4 miles each way to be specific per day. All start/stop/start/stop from Stratford to Farringdon. Hence 32mpg I suppose... Can't wait till summer so that I can get outside the M25 for longer runs.

marcusfordus

Reaction score
Increased mpg on my previous bikes was helped along with a functioning Scottoiler. I have one coming for the MT too :)

On long touring holidays you could feel it was out of oil by the clunk of the gear changes !

flydnb

Reaction score
I don't care what the mpg is as I didn't order the bike with economy in mind just fun, if I want economy id buy a Honda c90 .or a 125.

pipski99

Reaction score
I just went out and filled up again and updated Fuelly. I did 95 miles and worked out to 53.7 MPG, although I have to say that was mostly in "B" mode as it was snowing for much of the time so careful was the word of the day.

Now ready to book it in for first service as soon as the dealer opens again after Xmas.