Rear and front suspension summary

sigtrm

Reaction score
Comparatively I have little mileage on my back, so until I rode s1000rr I did not knew how bad mt-09 suspension is. For city no problem, for cornering with higher speeds, ....
So, what I know, need some advice and opinion:
1) FRONT:
-Ohlins springs plus oil - cheap, any good?
-Ohlins cartridges - how much better than above?
-other options I am not aware of.
2) REAR:
-Maxton - ??? I know they exist
-Nitron - whole range of shocks, I can't really asset which is good, enough, etc
-Hyperpro - their website is somehow confusing, I am aware of their street kit with front springs, are those any good?
-second hand used parts retrofitted from other bikes like kawa - I am not interested in those,

I would like to hear some first hand opinions and comparisons to stock suspension from people who rode stock and changed to one of above or other aftermarket sets.

Coopie

Reaction score
Hi Sig ........ I bought standard bike but now have Maxton GP10 on the rear , at the front I have Andreani cartridges .

The Andreani's are probably the least expensive cartridge of the three I know of . Dearest of course Ohlins , and in the middle Matris .

The original stuff only has one leg with anything inside it , as the other leg just has a spring for preload and nothing else . How bad is that .

The after market stuff does one leg compression and one leg rebound and both legs preload . Much better .

I am very happy with the set up I have and as others will tell you , once the front is sorted the brakes can be used to much more effect . Double bonus .

By the way there are many other owners using just the Ohlins springs with oil and air gap changed and they seam quite happy .

At the end of the day , you pays yur money and take yur chance .

colinlinz

Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
The odd leg design isn't bad. I lot of high end stuff has been of that design. The fault, if you like, is in spring rates and damping. The springs are soft for hard usage. The damping valve bodies are restrictive and not as refined. Double the price of the bike, and I'm sure Yamaha would have put better ones in. Many bikes suffer from restrictive valve bodies, it is what causes the harsh, yet soft feel. During high speed compression damping, the porting of the valve body doesn't flow enough oil. This takes the damping control from the shim stack, and makes the porting the controlling factor.
The Matris stuff looks pretty good, and seems to get good feedback.
Matris Australia

sigtrm

Reaction score
Thanks,
That Matris cartridges, which kit is for MT-09?

sigtrm

Reaction score
Its 937EUR on andreani website, it's below 700GBP:) why not order from there ?

sigtrm

Reaction score
So anyone knows price for GP10? And what about Hyperpro and Nitron shocks? Anyone?

Coopie

Reaction score
So anyone knows price for GP10? And what about Hyperpro and Nitron shocks? Anyone?
The GP10 is a high quality hand built shock and will set you back £850 or so , unless you are really lucky and get a 6 month old second hand one for £400 :rolleyes:
I also only payed £340 for the brand new Andreani cartridges from Italy . So I now have fully adjustable front and rear suspension and it is truly awesome .
I can't believe how fast I can now attack a corner , it's transformed the bike to a whole new league