Rear Shock replacement

D

Deleted member 614

Hi has anyone gone to the trouble of replacing the rear shock yet?
The original unit with no damping adjustment makes it impossible to set up properly. (Compromised with preload but not happy) I'd also like to upgrade the forks for the same reason . Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

stunva

Reaction score
If you do a search you will find many have replaced the rear shock for the reasons you mention,

Some have gone with model specific new units from Penske, Ohlins and many others. While some have gone with units from the ZX10R, ZX6RR or GSXR and Hayabusa.

If you put rear shock in the "search" bar up on the top right of the page you will find plenty to read.

RipGroove

Reaction score
Hi has anyone gone to the trouble of replacing the rear shock yet?
The original unit with no damping adjustment makes it impossible to set up properly. (Compromised with preload but not happy) I'd also like to upgrade the forks for the same reason . Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers
There is a damping screw on the original shock.

Peachy00

Reaction score
I think Fast Bikes magazine have put one on their long termer 09. Check the mag I guess and see what they say,

Spot

Reaction score
I was going to go down the Ohlins route when I had the cash spare but a mate of mine who races swears by Nitron and they're significantly cheaper! :)
Like Stunva says, have a quick search as our friends who post in the FZ-09 section seem to have done a lot of work fitting used shocks (mainly Kwak) as a low cost improvement.

Pool Boy

Reaction score
There is a damping screw on the original shock.
I was under the impression that that was for rebound damping and that there is no adjustment on the compression damping.
But hey, what do I know - I only picked it up today ?

RipGroove

Reaction score
I was under the impression that that was for rebound damping and that there is no adjustment on the compression damping.
But hey, what do I know - I only picked it up today ?
I'm not 100% sure then, I know the screw on my GasGas trials bikes Sachs rear shock does both compression and rebound at the same time, I assumed the MT wad the same.

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
I popped in to RevsRacing in Halesowen a few weeks back, they've done quite a few mt09's recently.. They recommend Wilbur... Got quoted around the £750 mark, but the shocks and springs are made for you... Same stuff, weight, pillion, bags, top box etc is all taken into consideration... This includes, front and rear....

Reports from some that have had it done luv em, totally transforms the bikes...

Revs Suspension Services

M

MT account

i had a nose on ebay, theres 2 types of zx10 shock. the late ones fetch 45 quid while the early ones that will fit the MT are 3 times more..........:D i think it will be a nitron for me unless maxton sort out a remote shock.

sporti

Reaction score
I'm putting a Penske 8983 in tomorrow morning.

Had the GP cartridges show up today too :)