Riding to Ireland, any advice?

RipGroove

Reaction score
Taking the MT to Ireland next month for 3 days, not been there before or ridden that many miles on the MT in that space of time, so any advice regarding both Ireland and the bike?

Sent from my iPhone

Swagger

Reaction score
Catch the ferry otherwise the journey gets quite wet:D

Seriously, it's a brilliant country with great people. The main roads are fine but get south and in a bit and the picture changes. Just be careful of broken surface ... it can/does rain A LOT and this brings muck onto the roads and plays havoc with the surface. When people say stay off the black stuff they're referring to the Guinness ... they're not advocating trail riding. Other than that ... go enjoy!

The Feds are touchy about speeding ...

RipGroove

Reaction score
Nice one thanks.

Sent from my iPhone

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
If you're going south you MUST ride the Ring of Kerry, that sounds so wrong :) we rode from Rosslare to Kilarney on day 1 then back via the south coast day2, I should still have TomTom routes if you want to take a look

RipGroove

Reaction score
If you're going south you MUST ride the Ring of Kerry, that sounds so wrong :) we rode from Rosslare to Kilarney on day 1 then back via the south coast day2, I should still have TomTom routes if you want to take a look
I'm not planning the route but I think we're going from Rosslare up to Dublin, staying the night there then heading up North to Giants Causeway and then exploring around there a bit

Sent from my iPhone

Chaz

Reaction score
Ride slowly in the Port Laois (spelling) Motorway area, lots of road cops. I speak from experience.

Matt Grey

Reaction score
all the best roads (and scenery) in ireland are the in the west. google 'the wild atlantic way'. start around cobh and finish in donegal. mind you that would take closer to three weeks than three days.

giants causeway is overrated imo. try the cliffs of moher in clare or slieve league in donegal, or the lakes of killarney.

if i was going there on a motorcycle i'd draw a straight line down the middle of the country, and avoid everything on the right hand side.

Last edited:

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Draw a line down the middle of the country and avoid everything on the right hand side. Now my understanding is if you are going down a country one would ride from North to South. That being the case you are never going to get to the west coast of Ireland? Regardless I agree the cliffs of Moher are fantastic but to dismiss the Giants Causeway?? really. The causeway is only part of what has to be the most spectacular biking roads in all of Ireland. The Antrim coastal route is a must. You can even take in a lap of the NW 200 road circuit.Then continue on round into Donegal and work your way south down the West coast. Ireland is not that big and you could safely do the Antrim and west coasts in 3 or 4 days. Concerning the ring of Kerry amazing scenery. Just remember Ireland is a wet country, especially on the west coast, it bares the brunt of what the Atlantic can throw at it. The east coast has plenty to offer and as a rule it's the dryer side of the country, be it North or South. How would I know I am or was a local.

Last edited: