Running hot, fan on most rides

stevecbr

Reaction score
Anyone else notices their MT runs hot?
My commute is about 11 miles, and the last 2 or 3 miles is in stop/start traffic.
Most days, the fan cuts in for the last mile, obviously switches off when it cools down.
Anyone else noticed this? My FZ6 & R1 didnt, unless it was a really hot suuny day.
Spoke to my Yamaha dealer and he said most new bikes do it, nothing to worry about.
Obviously, no warning lights come on, just temp gets to 102 odd degrees and fan comes on until it cools down

Mitch

Reaction score
Yer i have had the same just been keeping my eye on it , but it drops pritty quickly one I get going

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My commute is about 11 miles, and the last 2 or 3 miles is in stop/start traffic.
Most days, the fan cuts in for the last mile, obviously switches off when it cools down.
Anyone else noticed this? My FZ6 & R1 didnt, unless it was a really hot suuny day.
Spoke to my Yamaha dealer and he said most new bikes do it, nothing to worry about.
Obviously, no warning lights come on, just temp gets to 102 odd degrees and fan comes on until it cools down
Since the CO etc was sorted out the fan hardly ever comes on, I do 10.2 miles each way to work and 8 miles or so is filtering and slow town riding...

Twozup

Reaction score
Mine did same and I found I had only half a radiator full of water other half was air so I topped it up a bit and sorted fan coming on constantly.

Click [HERE] then {HERE}

Cypher

Reaction score
I didn't have mine come on for a long time until this Sunday. It kicks in at 106C if I'm now wrong but like Mitch said, drops quite quickly once you get going. I reckon that's fine. We'll know if it's not when it bursts in flames at one of the traffic lights :D

pipski99

Reaction score
I haven't had this, only ever had fan on when I have engine running at idle while stood outside my garage at the end of a ride. This is with the Evotech radiator guard fitted, which may restrict air flow to the rad by some amount.

Will have to switch my display to show temperature for my next run out and check what it's running at.

Stripy

Reaction score
Hmm, no.. there is some unnatural laws, me thinks about the expansion tank - as it is placed below the radiator.
So how it works, i'm not sure of - but deffo worth having a look under the cap!

Twozup

Reaction score
No guys if there's air in system it can lock so it won't fill unless you eject the air usually by bleeding but I just "massage" the hoses after filling. Then usually another top up of 50/50 water&coolant

Radiator should be full up to cap. Expansion tank takes care of expansion when it gets hot but you gotta take all the air out

Click [HERE] then {HERE}

crotchrocket

Reaction score
Guys i've never heard my fan come on! I guess I'm not going hard enough :) (or my bike isn't broke!! )

s0n1c87

Reaction score
Yes. I notice the bike is really hot even when i'm riding on a cooling night with light traffic. although the fan did not kick it but its was consider really hot for a night ride. my fz6 did not get this hot during the night.

Spot

Reaction score
Been watching the temp on mine out of interest for the last few days and in case anyone wants a comparison.....
With an ambient temp of about 23 degrees, taking it easy in high gears doing 50-80mph it sticks at 75 degrees. Thrashing around mainly in 3rd at very high revs and sillier speeds it goes up to 80 degrees. As soon as you drop below 40mph the temp starts to creep up and with lots of stop start traffic the highest I've seen is 94 degrees.
Seems it's happiest with airflow 50mph and above.
I have a RADGUARD Radiator Guard fitted.

crotchrocket

Reaction score
Hmm, no.. there is some unnatural laws, me thinks about the expansion tank - as it is placed below the radiator.
So how it works, i'm not sure of - but deffo worth having a look under the cap!
I like this guy !!

[video=youtube_share;0JdDWWoX-70]http://youtu.be/0JdDWWoX-70[/video]

relz

Reaction score
Been watching the temp on mine out of interest for the last few days and in case anyone wants a comparison.....
With an ambient temp of about 23 degrees, taking it easy in high gears doing 50-80mph it sticks at 75 degrees. Thrashing around mainly in 3rd at very high revs and sillier speeds it goes up to 80 degrees. As soon as you drop below 40mph the temp starts to creep up and with lots of stop start traffic the highest I've seen is 94 degrees.
Seems it's happiest with airflow 50mph and above.
I have a RADGUARD Radiator Guard fitted.
Mines similar, only I have warmer ambient temp, somewhere in the 30's.
As long as I'm riding out of the city it stays between 70-80, as soon as I get into start/stop traffic it can up to 105-110. The fan comes on at around 100. Even driving from one traffic light to the next is enough to cool it down back under 100...
This bike likes to be on the move, and the faster the better :)

My Toy

Reaction score
I like this guy !!

[video=youtube_share;0JdDWWoX-70]http://youtu.be/0JdDWWoX-70[/video]
I learned something there. My bike runs hot in traffic, as does my VFR. Fan cuts in at 104degrees and soon stops at about 99 or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MadGelo

Reaction score
Iv had mine go over 104ish today and fan turned on with only 26*C outside.

According to the manual, you should add coolant until it hits max level marker on coolant reservoir. Not filling it up to the cap.
It was full when I left, but when I came back from my first real ride, it was only half full

Last edited: