Running lean i think

scotscoot09

Reaction score
5500 miles , decided to cut off the factory silencer just after the nox sensor and fit an IXIL can (of sorts)
that came from a Kawa Z750, looks the mutz nutz, sounds ace, SPITS FLAMES and gargles like my mother in law
but i swear it doesnt run as good.
i remember the bike used to pull like crazy and get VERY light at the front with minimal effort,.
it still feels rapid but not as much.

the exhaust is blowing slightly at the join which i dare say doesnt help the POPPING,
my main concern is that there is a lack of back pressure causing it to run lean.

im going to take the plugs out this weekend for a gander, hope its just my imagination.

any pointers guys. ???

i am looking to get a power commander for my birthday purely so i can alter the
lean condition (power gains are welcome too though)

photo 2.jpg

Attachments

sigtrm

Reaction score
5500 miles , decided to cut off the factory silencer just after the nox sensor and fit an IXIL can (of sorts)
that came from a Kawa Z750, looks the mutz nutz, sounds ace, SPITS FLAMES and gargles like my mother in law
but i swear it doesnt run as good.
i remember the bike used to pull like crazy and get VERY light at the front with minimal effort,.
it still feels rapid but not as much.

the exhaust is blowing slightly at the join which i dare say doesnt help the POPPING,
my main concern is that there is a lack of back pressure causing it to run lean.

im going to take the plugs out this weekend for a gander, hope its just my imagination.

any pointers guys. ???

i am looking to get a power commander for my birthday purely so i can alter the
lean condition (power gains are welcome too though)

View attachment 1967
Which language is that?;-)

flydnb

Reaction score
I would make sure your exhaust is sealed also it might be smaller in diameter than the original could actually be worse.

scotscoot09

Reaction score
i checked the existing pipe and the pipe on the ixil can and both measured the same 52mm diameter if i remember correctly,
i had to use a sleeve and two clamps to join them though, it was the angle of the join that messed it up for me.
truth being told, the reason its blowing a little is because there aint no gaskets at the joint, just some fire putty.

Kinjane

Reaction score
I prefer silicone bathtub/shower sealant over fire putty. It doesn't shrink or crack and is easy to obtain a gas tight seal. masking tape helps produce a tidy finish on the pipe work.
I once used some on a brand new car exhaust I damaaged and it outlasted the rest of the exhaust system!
Unfortunately it can be a bit of a pain to scrape off or to break the seal if you need to remove the slip on once it's fully set.

scotscoot09

Reaction score
That's a damn good shout btw.
I work for DAF trucks , we use a grey silicone which is very similar to what you are on about , I totally forgot about it.
Cheeerz dude