Rusty Chain?!?!?

Chris West

Reaction score
Any one else finding its hard to keep the chain from rusting?
Or do I have to lube it after after every ride?
The rollers appear fine but the side plates are dreadful

dapsmt09

Reaction score
Yeh very poor quality chain.
I lube mine very regularly and mine has started to rust, gives a good excuse to buy a nice gold one though I suppose.
The dealer demo also has a rusty drive chain.

Cheers daps.:cool:

Chris West

Reaction score
Cool, thought i was gonna be found guilty of 'Mechanical Negligence whilst in charge of an MT09' and get chucked of the forum.
Ive just been out and cleaned it between showers and given the chain a good seeing to with a toothbrush. Its much better now.
Things we do for the ones we love eh ;)

stevecbr

Reaction score
mines ok, ridden everyday but not rusty (I use gear oil, applied with a toothbrush)
I have noticed the brake banjo bolts starting to look tatty, not to impressed with a 900 mile bike

mt dave

Reaction score
hi guys always remember to keep a chain clean by doing this you stop grit and all the other bits of s**t which makes your chain and sprockets wear quicker i use a water based degreaser called elbow grease i put the bike on paddock stand on drive spin rear wheel while spraying the liquid on gently then get a nylon brush a kitchen brush is ideal will not damage O rings and then spin wheel while scrubbing chain spray water on gently no pressure washer use hose when nice and clean rag dry the chain will look brand new leave to dry naturally and then re lube i use wurth high performance dry chain lube used them all i found that lube the best no fly off make sure you let it dry first before riding i rarely have to adjust my chain because i keep it so clean and and lubed always clean then lube there is no point adding more lube to chain if its dirty all you are doing is trapping the grit on it the joys of riding all year round more cleaning and main

PaulG

Reaction score
hi guys always remember to keep a chain clean by doing this you stop grit and all the other bits of s**t which makes your chain and sprockets wear quicker i use a water based degreaser called elbow grease i put the bike on paddock stand on drive spin rear wheel while spraying the liquid on gently then get a nylon brush a kitchen brush is ideal will not damage O rings and then spin wheel while scrubbing chain spray water on gently no pressure washer use hose when nice and clean rag dry the chain will look brand new leave to dry naturally and then re lube i use wurth high performance dry chain lube used them all i found that lube the best no fly off make sure you let it dry first before riding i rarely have to adjust my chain because i keep it so clean and and lubed always clean then lube there is no point adding more lube to chain if its dirty all you are doing is trapping the grit on it the joys of riding all year round more cleaning and main

Here, have some punctuation on me: ;,.?!"'

Chris West

Reaction score
Thank's PaulG.
It's the only thing stopping us from helping your Uncle Jack off a horse. Comma removed for comedic effect lol.;)

KatanaAl

Reaction score
Yes I noticed my chain was looking a bit rusty, cleaned up nicely with a toothbrush and a bit of WD40. Cleaned the WD40 off and re-lubed.
My XT1200Z Super Tenere had quite a few fixings and fastenings renewed under warranty, it appalled me at the time that a bike costing so much money could be finished with cheap and nasty bolts and brackets. Don't be shy going back to the dealers and complaining. I know the Yamaha dealer ( Ian Bell) very well and he knows that I always looks after my bikes and he had no issue putting a warranty claim in to replace badly tarnished bolts and brackets.

stevecbr

Reaction score
Yes I noticed my chain was looking a bit rusty, cleaned up nicely with a toothbrush and a bit of WD40. Cleaned the WD40 off and re-lubed.
My XT1200Z Super Tenere had quite a few fixings and fastenings renewed under warranty, it appalled me at the time that a bike costing so much money could be finished with cheap and nasty bolts and brackets. Don't be shy going back to the dealers and complaining. I know the Yamaha dealer ( Ian Bell) very well and he knows that I always looks after my bikes and he had no issue putting a warranty claim in to replace badly tarnished bolts and brackets.
Good to know, I clean my MT 2 or 3 times a week, and a few bits are looking tatty. I have never had problems before with Yamaha, the finish on my R1 was great, even after 7 years looked really good. The MT is starting to look a bit tarnished after 7 weeks, christ know what it will look like come the spring!

Smurf

Reaction score
This is a bit concerning to me, I had finally decided on a MT over the Street Triple and I was intending to order one on Monday. I look after my bikes but I don't want something that is going to start corroding before my eyes and looking tarnised after a few weeks.

Chris West

Reaction score
To be honest Smurf I've done just over 4K on mine and I don't think the issue is that bad.
They have packed an incredible amount of quality into the MT09 where it matters, so I guess they had to save money somewhere.
So if it means having to fork out for replacement nuts and bolts or even a chain and sprocket set, I'd still be happy with it :)
And they are all upgrade opportunities that even the Mrs can appreciate ;)

Smurf

Reaction score
Cheers, to be honest its took me a while to persuade the missus I am fit enough to ride a bike again after a long illness so I wont be backing out otherwise I won't be getting a bike at all.

So Monday we are off to put the order in.

Martyn6241

Reaction score
All this talk of chains has given me a headache, got a bmw gs with shaft drive lol, it's 3years old done 15000 miles and none of the fasteners have a mark on them. I apply acf50 with a toothbrush and spray the bike with scottoiler fs365 which neutralises salt and puts a barrier on everything, the more you use it the better the protection. Can't wait for my street rally to arrive, just need some good weather so I can sell the gs for a fair price, fed up of turning the traction control off so I can wheelie it

Chris West

Reaction score
In fairness (Martyn6241) I've done 4.5K since October and the poor baby has to live outside.
So all in all it does pretty fekin well :) (cheap ancillaries or not)