Scottoiler - Anyone getting "spray" issues?

Spot

Reaction score
Hi Gang,

I've got my scottoiler nib positioned as recommended by scottoiler (see their supplied pic below) but i'm getting excessive spray which is going over my wheel, even getting flipped up onto the top of my seat and most worryingly coating about 15mm of the edge of the tyre!
That's not going to help grip!
I don't believe it's delivering excessive oil. I reckon it's putting out about 1 drop every 90 seconds.

Anyone else having this problem with their oiler? Any suggestions?
MT-09 dispenser.jpg

Last edited:

flydnb

Reaction score
look at that rust on the chain and the state of that bike, that's why I don't like to rely on scottoilers .

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
They're ok ish but they don't oil the outside on the plates...!

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

M

MT account

ive got 1 on the bike i just bought and the delivery pipe is 3 inches from the chain! the chain is nicely oiled tho, its set on minimum........whats yours set on?

marcusfordus

Reaction score
Move that dropper.

My chain is spotless and not positioned where yours is, did you follow their on-line guide, as I fitted mine before that even came out and used a bit of common sense and used experience of where they work (must have had 10 of these things and thousands of miles of use).

Twozup

Reaction score
Hi Spot
I think your dropper set too far back from your chain and I'd bet that at speed the oil is getting blown out as it drops before it gets a chance to reach your chain properly resulting in spraying/misting by the turbulence as described. I was going to go into negative pressures and vortices but that would show me up for the tw@t I really am!

When you slow down gravity takes it's course and oil finally finds it's way down the sprocket side as I can see from pic and gets onto your chain making it look like it's working properly

As suggested above move the dropper needle thingumy till it almost but not quite touches the chain.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

MT account

must book mine back in with stevie wonder then......must have been him who fitted this 120140514_203152.jpg

marcusfordus

Reaction score
011.jpg

Here's mine just in front of the teeth on the sprocket, but central onto the sprocket. It drips directly onto the roller and gets sucked into the direction of travel of the chain meaning it doesn't vaporize and mist onto the wheel and tyre.

Spot

Reaction score
Hi Spot
I think your dropper set too far back from your chain and I'd bet that at speed the oil is getting blown out as it drops before it gets a chance to reach your chain properly resulting in spraying/misting by the turbulence as described. I was going to go into negative pressures and vortices but that would show me up for the tw@t I really am!

When you slow down gravity takes it's course and oil finally finds it's way down the sprocket side as I can see from pic and gets onto your chain making it look like it's working properly

As suggested above move the dropper needle thingumy till it almost but not quite touches the chain.

Hope that helps!

Here's a pic of my oiler on my actual bike.....

P1110328.jpg

I'm wondering if maybe it needs to move forward a bit?

M

MT account

i perfer mine to be the same as marcus's so the roller gets it and it gets to both sideplates. on my current set up the car behind gets it........:rolleyes:

Spot

Reaction score
View attachment 1407

Here's mine just in front of the teeth on the sprocket, but central onto the sprocket. It drips directly onto the roller and gets sucked into the direction of travel of the chain meaning it doesn't vaporize and mist onto the wheel and tyre.
A-ha! I'll try giving that a go.
Thanks.
I positioned mine according to an email and pics they sent me before the online guide was out. (Which is where the pic I first posted came from)

marcusfordus

Reaction score
Here's a pic of my oiler on my actual bike.....

View attachment 1408

I'm wondering if maybe it needs to move forward a bit?
That looks pants, and I can see how much has gone onto your rear wheel. Reposition that tube hanger on the inside of the swingarm, There is a bolt head in a perfect position you can use, and you can get at it without taking the rear wheel out.

Last edited:

lou

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have always had scotoilers. on my ducati single sided swingarm they advised me to put the tube on the front sprocket it was perfect and out of sight. So I did the same with my Mt and it works perfectly with no spray on rear wheel. Hope this helps Lou

Spot

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have always had scotoilers. on my ducati single sided swingarm they advised me to put the tube on the front sprocket it was perfect and out of sight. So I did the same with my Mt and it works perfectly with no spray on rear wheel. Hope this helps Lou
Any chance of a photo of where you fitted it? Ta!

lou

Reaction score
Hi Spot I fitted mine to the inside of the front sprocket cover with the drip tube lying just above the chain close to the sprocket but ensuring it dosen't foul the sprocket or the chain when moving. However on retrospect I think it might have been even better if I had drilled holes in the front part of the cover alligning the drip tube to feed the chain from that position, it might be worth experimenting after all how much would a new cover cost once you have decided which is best. I personally haven't bothered as mine works fine and feeds both sides of the chain as the oil migrates across the chain links. I am going to try and post pics but I never seem to be very successful. Hope this helps Lou remember (life's to short to grow up):cool:IMG_0130.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

lou

Reaction score
Hi again Spot I have managed to post pics one is upside down but have posted another hope this helps let me know pronto as I am moving to scotland on Tuesday and my email will then be different regards Lou

RipGroove

Reaction score

That looks pants, and I can see how much has gone onto your rear wheel. Reposition that tube hanger on the inside of the swingarm, There is a bolt head in a perfect position you can use, and you can get at it without taking the rear wheel out.
That is one seriously clean chain! The chain is the one thing I can never keep shiny on any of my bikes, any chain lube I use seems to just attract grime. Any tips?

Twozup

Reaction score
That is one seriously clean chain! The chain is the one thing I can never keep shiny on any of my bikes, any chain lube I use seems to just attract grime. Any tips?
Unfortunately to keep a chain as clean as that it's all down to hard work with a toothbrush and chain cleaner before every re lube. Soon get sick doing it!

marcusfordus

Reaction score
I wipe it over with GT 85 and a rag then let the Scottoiler do the work.

Sent from my XT615 using Tapatalk 2