Sliding forward on MT-09 seat - mods ?

highlander

Reaction score
Now this is not something I've seen anyone else write about so maybe it's just me.....

I find that when sitting back in the wider part of the seat I inevitably get tilted forward a bit after some time which gets quite uncomfortable as it pushes me onto the gentlemen's area too much over an hour or so of riding. I can shuffle forward onto the narrow part for a little bit but I need to resort to being further back after a few minutes.

I am getting the distinct feeling that the seat is tipping me forwards and I need it to be more horizontal and/or soften the padding. So when I next get a chance I'm going to look at adjusting the bars and making some experimental angle changes on the seat to figure what will improve it.

The rear subframe is welded, not bolted so not easy to make permanent changes there. I am not sure there's a lot I can try without getting a second seat to hack up.

Has anyone else had comfort mods for similar reasons or is it all just me???

chump

Reaction score
yes the seat points you downhill towards the tank. I find it worse wearing leathers. if I wear my draggin jeans I don't slide, but the sliding stops me getting a numb arse.

you could try a Seat Concepts insert, it comes with a new cover and replaces the original foam - it flattens the seat but I found it harder to move around. Or a Street Rally seat, which is flat but higher. Shad make a decent looking seat, unlike some.

Kinjane

Reaction score
Walking stick rubbers fitted over the front frame supports may give you enough of a lift - they'll need a bit of attention with a Stanley knife but it makes sense once you realise why the rubbers wont sit fully home on the raised button. The seat will be tight to get back on at first until the middle section beds down.

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score
...I find it worse wearing leathers...
I agree. However, I like the forward position (it's more apparent on the MT10), although after an hour or so, it is a royal pain in the tackle. I have considered the Comfort Seat and am minded to buy one, particularly for long rides. Short rides and daily commute, it's not a problem though.

chump

Reaction score
the comfort seat is not better tbh, it has the same slope as the stocker, and gave me a numb arse much sooner.

cnk15

Reaction score
I did the rubber chair bottoms on the front and it does help a bit. There is also the "grout sponge" mod that some have done in the US. You undo the front staples and pull the seat cover back. Under the stock foam there is a pocket of empty space. You fill it with a cut down grout sponge or some furniture foam and then reinstall the cover.

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score
There's also a DIY install gel pad liner (ebay, I think) that occupies the same space. If it bothers you that much, perhaps a Shad or similar is the easiest option.

highlander

Reaction score
Hmmm ... SHAD, makes me SAD at 240 quid! And no guarantee it will fix the problem.

I'll get a spare seat off somewhere and see what I can do for under 100 pounds ...

I think I read somewhere that the Tracer seat won't fit to the MT-09, so I'll duck that route

Last edited:

trythat

Reaction score
Hmmm ... SHAD, makes me SAD at 240 quid! And no guarantee it will fix the problem.

I'll get a spare seat off somewhere and see what I can do for under 100 pounds ...

I think I read somewhere that the Tracer seat won't fit to the MT-09, so I'll duck that route
I got mine from here Shad Yamaha MT-09 Comfort Seat Replacement Seat SHY0M9300 £204.32, took a couple of days, it's better than the orginal thats for sure, but I still tend to sit on the tank.

Luke_Price

Reaction score
I'm currently searching for a second stock seat so I can take it to a bloke who customises seats.
Maybe that would be an option?
If I can get a seat for around £50, he's quoted me £130 for all new sculpted foam with new leather cover, along with some nice silver piping and the MT logo.

Depends on how much you're willing to spend for comfort but I think it's a good option with your own custom look.

chump

Reaction score
I reckon you'd get a Seat Concepts kit for about that. But yes it's a good option. The comfort doesn't bother me to that expense though.

extra330

Reaction score
bloody expensive

Just dropped my 09 and a friends 07 seat of for resculpting, and gel mods this morning at bootleg seats preston,
Been quoted 250 for the 09... sounds expensive but ive requested a new design, should be back thursday.. ill put a pic up in the evening.

Bon

Reaction score
Got my seat back from the Trimmer last week. Its now about an inch taller for me and the rear portion has been built up and made longer for the missus to sit on. He used memory foam as he isn't a fan of gel inserts. Feels firm but comfortable.

20160831_095426.jpg20160906_165614.jpg20160905_153855.jpg

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score
Personally, I'm not keen on the Roadster and Tourer-style stepped design of Shad and similar, and reckon a sporty seat suits the MT09 better. Sorry, that's not meant with malice!

Last edited:

Bon

Reaction score
Only did mine because the standard seat make my arse numb after 50 miles. Problem lies in the fact that work is 70 miles away ! Keeping the standard seat anyway for when I decide to change the bike and that wont be for a while.

flydnb

Reaction score
Got my seat back from the Trimmer last week. Its now about an inch taller for me and the rear portion has been built up and made longer for the missus to sit on. He used memory foam as he isn't a fan of gel inserts. Feels firm but comfortable.

View attachment 4317View attachment 4318View attachment 4319
Good god that's one ugly seat , that criss cross design doesn't suit the bike at all . just my opinion.