Snatch is cured ! DNA Air filter

rob5006

Reaction score
I met up with a couple of MT09 owners a few weeks back who told me that they had cured the snatchyness on the MT09. I was invited to test ride both bikes and see for myself. It was true! I was told that it was due to a DNA Air filter from ebay ...from Greece at a cost of about £66. I ordered one and it arrived a 5 days later. I had it fitted along with a full Akra system. I now have a snatch free MT09.
I have blasted around on all 3 modes without any problems...just 3 different levels of response!
The DNA filter is high quality and lasts the life of your bike.
Do what you will with this information....I am sorted!

stevecbr

Reaction score
The part number is P-Y8N14-01 according to their website. Have you run your MT on a dyno to check its not running lean? The DNA filter flows 28% more air than standard

rob5006

Reaction score
The part number is P-Y8N14-01 according to their website. Have you run your MT on a dyno to check its not running lean? The DNA filter flows 28% more air than standard
I believe the part is easy to fit but i had mine done at the same time as the Akra fitting. The Air filter is also good for fuel saving and is top quality....just looked on ebay and still going for £66 with p and p included. Not sure how it has improved the throttle response but maybe something to do with more air thinning out the fuel....but it will have your throttle std and A mode response as smooth as the B mode. Hope this helps. Just type in 'MT09 DNA Air filter'....the details will be displayed..(.from Greece!)

Martin p

Reaction score
hi rob i also have an akra fitted to my MT and am thinking about your filter upgrade, could you ask your dealer that fitted your exhaust and filter if they upped the co settings via the clocks and if so what to? Many thanks Martin p

pbrickwood

Reaction score
I was going to say that by increasing the flow all you are doing if effectively changinh the air/fuel ratio and running the bike lean.
I'm also sure that the CO settings only have effect up to 2% throttle so really the bike would need remapped.

rob5006

Reaction score
I was going to say that by increasing the flow all you are doing if effectively changinh the air/fuel ratio and running the bike lean.
I'm also sure that the CO settings only have effect up to 2% throttle so really the bike would need remapped.
Got mine all done via Robinsons in Rochdale..(01706) 716650 along with braided brake hose cables...I don't know the ins and outs of the technicalities of the bike...all i can say is that the snatch is cured, fuel economy is better, brakes are even more effective and it sounds great....the MT09 on A mode (especially 4th gear) through the fast road of Settle, en route to Kirby Lonsdale, is now just beautiful compared to a few weeks ago when I was kangarooing everywhere!

Last edited:

Schultzy

Reaction score
I have this filter. I don't have snatch, but it wasn't cured because of the filter, rather the flash and Pcv. I'm not sure why the filter would help without adjusting fuel - your just making it more lean which I'd think just makes the problem worse?

The DNA filter is a good product though.

T

THAIGATE14

wish i could be cured of my snatch problem..........i spent another £100 quid on it last night........

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
My Yamaha mechanics advice: Stock pipe=stock filter..... special pipe=special filter.
You can't earn much if you put DNA or k&N with stock pipe.
The leaner the fuel is, the better low emissions burn in the chamber.
With CO on 14 the "snatchyness" is less because the fue-mix have been very reach... and put so many carbon deposits on chamber (i can't find the specific words to describe it in English that moment).
As he said, there are 5 new models of YAMAHA who have open ECU.
These are mt-09, mt-07, T-max530, xtz1200 and fjr1300 and it is possible in a few months from now to release newer versions of better software to fix the snatcyness... forever !!!
Alltough i'm proud for the DNA...

rob5006

Reaction score
Like I said...I got a Dna Air filter and had it inserted at the same time as my Akra system and now have a smooth throttle response. Don't know why, but I am happy with it as are the two lads who told me about it. Just passing on my findings. Do as you will. Good luck. Over and out!

rob5006

Reaction score
Thanks Slats....Just grateful that I bumped into Gareth and Wayne who told me about it and have allowed me to sort out this throttle response issue. Felt that it was only fair that I shared this info without getting into any technical dramas.

Last edited:

UnluckySlats

Reaction score
I agree Rob it's about sharing info to help fellow
riders. I have ordered the filter on the strength
of your experience and that it's worked for you
Do I would like to say thanks for sharing your
outcome

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've got mine booked in at Dyno Tech Racing in 2 weeks time for a new custom race map...
Will post the results after...

stunva

Reaction score
I ordered one last night after reading this, it's an improvement and a very good long life filter even if it doesn't cure it 100%, I'll post up what I discover when it gets here.

We have the 1/8th mile drags here again in mid July, so it'll be interesting to see if it makes a difference there as well as in general riding.

UnluckySlats

Reaction score
Hi Rob my air filter arrived today bit of a pig to fit
but what a difference I'm loving A mode now
Cheers Rob

rob5006

Reaction score
Hi Rob my air filter arrived today bit of a pig to fit
but what a difference I'm loving A mode now
Cheers Rob
A mode is a peach isn't it...You will love it on a fast road with few bends and twists in 4th...It's brilliant..spread the word, buddy. Hope you enjoy and will probably catch up with you at the MT09 Bellview tour!

Last edited: