So what mode are you in?

jond201

Reaction score
Taken with the possibility of trading my wee-strom for an mt-09 and I ain't even test ridden one ....er, yet. Yam reviews on the net look positive as do comments made by owners here, which is only to be expected as I guess you'll all have test ridden first. Anyhow, YouTube reviews of the machine look good but testers don't tell you what mode they're doing it in which is a shame. So, can any forum member/owners tell us a bit about modes and their preferences in that respect? D'you tend to stick with one mode or are you switching as and when? Any surprises re handling to start with? Did mode preference change over time?

Any ex-vstrom owners here who've gone MT-09? The Suzuki's a heavy, loping beast so the prospect of riding a nimble, responsive bike that's sympathetic to the slightest twist of the wrist does appeal.

Cheers...

Last edited:

Chris West

Reaction score
Hi jond,

To be honest at the start I did use B Mode a wee bit but now I leave it in Standard. It does everything I need and I ride in all weathers (with the exception of ice).
If you search this forum there's a fair bit about alleged jerky throttle.
But its got more to do with your wrist than the bike :)

Birdy

Reaction score
I agree with Chris, i dont find the throttle jerky, just INSTANT in A mode, much smoother bike all round than my old tdm 900 . I normally keep it in B back and fore work, A when i feel like a twenty year old again. It is like having two different bikes a bit Jeykel and Hide ! Love it

Stripy

Reaction score
Chris, Birdy, you're just spot on.
I've done about 1100 to 1200 meters in B-Mode, then back to Std.
Currently trialling out a suspicion I have with better fuel economy in A-mode though.
...if my brain doesn't flick in to A-mode as well ;) :p

crotchrocket

Reaction score
Im switching around for fun, but first thing in the morning I'm in b mode on the way to work. During the day and after work I'm in A. On a side note, I noticed with the Akra, the bike is surprisingly louder in A mode vs B mode.

psychoattractor

Reaction score
I'm also testing supermotoboy's theory that A mode gives you better economy, which so far actually seems to be the case but I won't know until I have used a whole tank.

I always use B mode in the rain when doing a lot of cornering. Other than that I've completely ignored std mode for a week and it's been a fun week!

Before I started testing this theory though, I used every mode. B for the wet, std for regular riding, and A for getting away from the lights first every time and thus out of danger!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevecbr

Reaction score
I have mine in B mode in the wet and around town, standard just commuting and a roads, and have used A mode back in ocotber when it was dry and warmer.
A mode is fantastic, wheelies of the throttle in 3rd! Great when its dry, not so clever when the roads are wet and slippery

Spot

Reaction score
I've only done test rides (hoping to pick the bike up in a couple of weeks) but after a period of changing modes to see what they were like I found I just left it in A mode all the time.
If the roads were wet and slippy i'd stick it in B, otherwise gimme the full monty :)

sporti

Reaction score
Not quite a VStrom, but my Mrs had a non LAMS Gladius, it has the same engine. I've clocked up quite a few K's on that bike & while the engine is a peach, it's nothing on the MT09. Obviously with the Gladius you have approx. 200cc less, but with the bigger capacity & not being a twin, it's a whole different ball game. The Gladius also weighs in just over 200kgs.........

Out of the 2?....the MT09 wins hands down.

jond201

Reaction score
Thanks again for all comments.

Sporti - yep, that confirms my suspicions. When I test rode the V-strom, its weight and handling were the first things to hit you. However, when you're 6'4" the bike has a lot going for it and it's a great tourer for longer distances. Ideal situation is to run both bikes but we'll wait and see on that one ;)

pipski99

Reaction score
Since first service I'm leaving it in standard as it is a perfect balance and does not lack performance. I have to say though I wish it was possible to change the "default" mode so that every time you switch the ignition on you can have the default start up mode set to either A or B.

As for the difference between the modes, although standard has plenty of poke A gives more aggressive response and gives a far more sporty growl under acceleration. You can get that growl in standard too but it's pretty instant and constant in A and makes the grin factor grow even more.

I did use B quite a lot during the break in period as for me it was during November & December and with all the damp and cold conditions I was being a bit of a wuss with the new bike. I have also used B mode a couple of times when I have ended up on reserve and trying to nurse it to a petrol station. I am interested to find out if A can be more economical than B but when you're 20 miles in to reserve I don't think that's the time to test it ;)

Bonsor

Reaction score
Hello mate , I have it in mode b in bad weather, In the dry ive allways had it in standard but now im used to it more i ride in a mode all the time mostly on the back wheel lol

flydnb

Reaction score
I will be using A all the time apart from when im riding back from a heavy cottaging session and I will use B .

Luismn

Reaction score
So far (100km) only in B mode. The rain, gum on the tires and the beguiling of break in do not let me go through big adventures.

tox

Reaction score
A all the way. The engine is why I bought the bike. I have fixed the problems with the throttle, suspension and other little idiosyncrasies that I had with it. Most people like the as is, but I need to tinker.

Dzjiepie

Reaction score
Up to 1000km I'm going to use B.
From 1000 km up to 1600km I will use STD.
+1600km it will be A, unless it rains.

Cypher

Reaction score
I've done a bit more than 1000 miles on it now and most it them were on B, just because initially I was a new rider (still am), then I was scrubbing the tyres in and now it's raining all the time. I do leave it in STD sometimes as well as switch to at traffic lights to get away from pesky scooter riders and cars quicker, but mostly it's B.

However, even though I use B most of the time, it does feel a bit underpowered after a while and STD feels like the right mode for the city so it really depends on how woken up you are in the morning and if you want to feather the clutch to avoid the small jerkiness in STD or even A.

I've ridden A several times too and I wouldn't really say that's it's significantly more powerful than STD. I think I read something that B has 10-15bph less comparing to A/STD but those two are the same so maybe that's why they feel similar. In city riding A is too jerky. Yes, I know I can module the clutch but it's not really something I want to think about when filtering through narrow gaps in traffic on wet white lines :)

psychoattractor

Reaction score
Chris, Birdy, you're just spot on.
I've done about 1100 to 1200 meters in B-Mode, then back to Std.
Currently trialling out a suspicion I have with better fuel economy in A-mode though.
...if my brain doesn't flick in to A-mode as well ;) :p
Right, i've just used a tank from full to the start of reserve to test the A mode fuel economy theory.

Bearing in mind, it's been pissing it down for about two months and i always do the first half mile in B mode until the tyres heat up, and i have only been commuting to and from work in 30-40mph zone (yeah right).

Strictly B mode got me 85 miles before i hit reserve, yes i know that's not brilliant but it is city commuting with lots of stop/starts.

95% A mode got me 89 miles before i hit reserve, which does indicate better fuel economy in A mode.

I also agree that the throttle is not jerky, just instant!

As soon as the roads dry up, it will be A mode for me as the bike is so much better in that mode.