Starting problem

tox

Reaction score
Anyone have the problem starting first time for the day. Where the pump sounds like it's priming when the key is turned, but the bike has to be thumbed to start the prime then thumbed again to start. What a pain in the rear. Called yamaha, was told it's normal and the will havea look next service.

Stripy

Reaction score
Neither on mine - starts at the slightest tickle.
I hardly hear the fuel pump

Its just so nice ;)

Is it behaving, even after engine have run warm?

I'd roll in to them and ask them to check it - it is not normal you have to attempt to start twice.

Chris West

Reaction score
Been riding every day, no sign of any kind of reluctance to start.
Maybe they meant normal for a Street Triple ??

Credry

Reaction score
Yes, noticed it omn mine, if I turn the key on and the kill switch is off, but if I turn the key on with the kill switch in the run position it starts first pop.....
Give it a try.

pipski99

Reaction score
Never had any of this with mine. I always have the kill switch set to run when I turn the ignition on so that the fuel pump cycles. The bike always fires instantly and runs fine, whether starting the engine warm or cold.

tox

Reaction score
Ok. Back from xmas, For me, if you already have the starter set to run. Turn the key. Wait for prime noise. Wait for about 10 seconds then thumb it. It should go. I think maybe different countries/weather, different starts. At the moment since I've had the bike it's been hot, so maybe fuel system has been dryer than usual. Works for me

Stripy

Reaction score
Just been out for the Manchester Bike Show. Frost all over the morning, it was only +2 when we set off at noon, started liked a grinning Cheshire cat ;)

tox

Reaction score
Man, The whole forum stuff saps my will. It's good to hear that everyone's bike starts great, but that was not my idea of this thread. I and others don't need to filter through that. That can go in the general part of the forum. Please comments other than useful fixes or relating elsewhere. Cheers

Last edited:

pipski99

Reaction score
Take it to the dealer, it's faulty. Everybody else doesn't have any problem like yours.

That's what I would take from the comments on this thread.

Credry

Reaction score
Hey Tox, I also have this problem, doesn't always start first pop but always catches second time very quickly.
Being that we're from the same area and most of these other posters are from Pomgolia maybe it's a te,mperature thing, not supplying enough (choke?) in the warmer weather.
Either that or it's our batch, from the serial number thread we must have some of the earliest models.

tox

Reaction score
Credry. Turn the Co level to 10. Starts first pop.

braedan

Reaction score
I also have this problem. I didn't have the problem before I took the akrapovic silencer out, but now after im running the exhaust without the silencer, it doesnt always start first time, but always second time. Thought it was just to do with the exhaust? CO level is set to 14 each cylinder (that setting was recommended by someone else on the forum). I came to the conclusion it must have been something to do with less back pressure because of removing the silencer?

Should i take mine in to get it looked at?

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have the same set up as u. i.e. Akrapovič without baffle and CO set to 14. I found that if I have the kill switch off and turn the ignition on and fire it up it doesn't always start first time. If u leave the kill switch on and THEN turn the ignition on the fuel pump etc has time to prime while u wait for it to do its checks and the dash has done its sweep. Try that and see if it works.

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

braedan

Reaction score
Yea i know what u mean TT, but i never usually turn my killswitch off. I usually just turn the bike off with the key and leave the killswitch to run position.. I always wait until the fuel pump finishes (until the bike stops making noise) before i try starting, but usually just on the first start for the day it wont always go.. hoping my PC V will fix this (if it ever comes!)

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does sound like there may be a problem then as I do the same as u. I leave mine on an just turn the bike on and off with the key.

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!