Suspension adjustment

Tafy94

Reaction score
I currently have the suspension set up at factory settings, ie everything at mid point. Now I'm no expert but having read a few articles I thought I'd try a sag test. So by measuring the height of the front and rear indicators before and after sitting on the bike I have 25mm at the front and 40mm at the rear.

Firstly, is this a valid measurement point? Secondly is this a good enough test, I was sitting upright as I needed to balance and couldn't sit in a riding position? so this may have had an effect on the front/rear loading.

Now if I understand this correctly and assuming it is a valid measurement, with the rear sitting lower the castor angle will be increased consequently increasing trail in effect improving directional stability. So if I adjust the rear then could I make the bike unstable?

Of course I haven't looked at damping yet, but that's another step.

Cheers

Pool Boy

Reaction score
IIRC sag is normally measured from one point on the bike to another so it's not affected by the tyres flattening under the riders weight.
Also, the starting point for measurements is with the suspension fully extended so you need to lift the weight off the wheels for the extended length
There's loads of info on the web about how to do it - try you tube.

I can't remember the measurements from my MT but I'm fairly sure the rear was less than the front so it would appear you need to stiffen up the rear a bit.
This MAY make the bike LESS stable but not UNstable - whether you like the difference or not will be a personal thing

Tafy94

Reaction score
Thanks Pool Boy, never fiddled with suspension before so just being over cautious. It's going to have to be 1 click/adjustment at a time and suck it and see. And thanks for putting my mind at rest regarding stability.