suspension

derek28862

Reaction score
Well i have bit the bullet and got the Ohlins rear shock and front cartridges on order hope this will make a difference as the original is dangerous on the twistys would love some feedback if you have changed yours and how its changed your riding

Locksmith

Reaction score
Id hardly call the OE stuff dangerous!!!
Plenty of room for improvement granted :)

Makes a great upgrade, find myself riding faster now. quiet possibly ohlins is dangerous :lol

derek28862

Reaction score
where i am the roads are pretty up and down with adverse cambers the helmsley rd in particular and even though set the suspension stiffer doesn't feel right

Deadhead

Reaction score
I've got the Ohlins upgrade on mine and can happily confirm it's a massive improvement over stock.

fizzy

Reaction score
Well i have bit the bullet and got the Ohlins rear shock and front cartridges on order hope this will make a difference as the original is dangerous on the twistys would love some feedback if you have changed yours and how its changed your riding
Did you get them off the bay from Italy?

derek28862

Reaction score
Yes i got it from omni racing but instead of going through e bay i went direct to his shop made a few offers on ebay but was refused.Ended up paying 905 euro which came to approx £667 all in

lee1980

Reaction score
Yes i got it from omni racing but instead of going through e bay i went direct to his shop made a few offers on ebay but was refused.Ended up paying 905 euro which came to approx £667 all in
Good stuff and from Italy no import or custom charges? I think for shock it will either be ohlins or penske one from stoltec moto about same price for cheapest one.

Davy

Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting these too, did you give them your weight and riding style for them to set the shock or do they send it with generic settings?

Fluke

Reaction score
I went the budget route fitting a 2008 zx10 shock and a set of ohlins springs up front.
The zx10 shock worked a treat and the only thing I would say about the front springs is that you may want to put 7.5 weight oil in for a bit of extra damping (instead of the 5 weight which is standard.)
Otherwise, I'm really happy especially as the whole job including parts and labour was less than three hundred quid:D

lee1980

Reaction score
I went the budget route fitting a 2008 zx10 shock and a set of ohlins springs up front.
The zx10 shock worked a treat and the only thing I would say about the front springs is that you may want to put 7.5 weight oil in for a bit of extra damping (instead of the 5 weight which is standard.)
Otherwise, I'm really happy especially as the whole job including parts and labour was less than three hundred quid:D
This may be how I go, at mo find rear end not to bad its more front, so may just do springs and heavier oil first and see!
but love a bit a of ohlins bling to hehe!

lee1980

Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting these too, did you give them your weight and riding style for them to set the shock or do they send it with generic settings?
I would think only option be different spring weights on shock and maybe fork springs or they might be all same.
oh ohlins only has rebound to bit crap for price, would like options for remote preload adjuster to!

Last edited:

Fluke

Reaction score
That's interesting cos I found the softness of the rear made it feel a bit vague putting power down coming out of corners.
Also, I had my wife on the back once and the suspension bottomed out over bumps, (she's quite slim before you say anything:D), I don't carry any passengers anymore though.
A mate had his bird on the back on a motorway and somehow the mudguard/numberplate got sucked into the back wheel cos the back was so soft.
Anyway, the ZX10 shock was a cheap and easy solution

boro

Reaction score
Can understand the lack of confidence in the stock suspension.
Especially on the Helmsley road (used to ride it a lot back in my youth).
I went with the Soltec springs/oil up front with the ZX10R rear with the OEM spring. (Yes I'm cheap) and for me fantastic.....

But saying that I also took a test ride on a Andreani/ Ohlins bike and could't really tell the difference at the back, yes the front was a "bit" more composed but not enough for me to think about the expense.
I'm happy with what I have and as I've mentioned before, even on track is far superior to me and my ability.

I would say that ANY upgrade to either end is an worthwhile expense, I thought for my weight the rear was worse as it would weave around coming out of bends, whilst the front just used to dive (which you could anticipate)

derek28862

Reaction score
Like you said when you road the helmseley road when you were young it is a lot different now with pot holes etc. Flew up and down there on blades and gixers all the time over the years but a different story now

zine

Reaction score
Who installed the front cartridges? I'm looking to do the same.