Tail light

Nickic01

Reaction score
Was thinking of fitting one of those integrated tail /brake and indicator all in one lights...
Are they legal in the UK?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Fluke

Reaction score
Possibly is the right answer.
I've got one fitted from Tuner-X and though they claim it's legal, it's not.
My local mechanics/MOT centre summed up the situation.
If the tail lights go out at any time when the indicator is flashing, it's illegal.
So, if you can find one which has a constantly illuminated tail, you're fine.
I'd already got mine before I found out but I guess you could write and ask before purchasing.
Personally, I don't care and when I got pulled recently, they told me my number plate was too small and weren't bothered about the rest.
You won't need an MOT yet so make sure you can find a sympathetic mechanics, like mine, when you do.

Nickic01

Reaction score
Hey.. Thanks for the replies fellas... Guess I'll just have to fit one and see!
Loving this beast.. WOW

Locksmith

Reaction score
Its hard enough being seen by other road users at the best of times, why move the indicators from where they are expected to be?

Nickic01

Reaction score
Possibly is the right answer.
I've got one fitted from Tuner-X and though they claim it's legal, it's not.
My local mechanics/MOT centre summed up the situation.
If the tail lights go out at any time when the indicator is flashing, it's illegal.
So, if you can find one which has a constantly illuminated tail, you're fine.
I'd already got mine before I found out but I guess you could write and ask before purchasing.
Personally, I don't care and when I got pulled recently, they told me my number plate was too small and weren't bothered about the rest.
You won't need an MOT yet so make sure you can find a sympathetic mechanics, like mine, when you do.
Do the indicators flash at the right speed.. Or do have to use a relay?

Fluke

Reaction score

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score
I notice there's no image to show when the tail light and the indicator are engaged simultaneously (in the bay images). Is that because it's difficult to differentiate between the two lights?

TIM80

Reaction score
Australian Designs Rules

the design rules in australia are DIRECTION INDICATOR LIGHTS
A motorcycle or motorcycle fitted with a sidecar manufactured on or after 1 October 1991 is required
to have direction indicators fitted. The bottom of the indicator lights must not be lower than 350mm
from the ground and the top of the indicator lights must not be higher than 1200mm from the ground.
Front indicators:
i. there shall be a minimum distance of 240mm between indicator illuminating surfaces.
ii. there shall be a minimum distance between the indicators and the headlight of 75mm.
Rear indicators:
i. there shall be a minimum distance of 180mm between indicator illuminating surfaces.

A direction indicator fitted to a motorcycle must, when operating, display regular flashes of light at
least 45 and not more than 120 flashes a minute, be operated by a person in the normal driving
position, be wired to an audible or visible device and flash at the same rate front and rear.
When on, a direction indicator light must be visible from at least 30 metres from the front and rear of
the motorcycle.
The colour of light displayed by a direction indicator must be:
(a) if the light faces forwards – white or yellow; and
(b) if the light faces rearwards:
(i) yellow; or
(ii) for a vehicle built before July 1973 – yellow or red.

acjimmy8

Reaction score
my 09 had installed one.

Look nice and much better than shock one!

Fluke

Reaction score
I notice there's no image to show when the tail light and the indicator are engaged simultaneously (in the bay images). Is that because it's difficult to differentiate between the two lights?
No, not really.
The light is small but the flashing is noticeable. I'll DM you so we can swap numbers and I'll show you when I'm down your way.
As locksmith kind of points out, it's not a setup you want to have if you want to make sure the other road users will see you.
I ride like other folk are not paying attention and are half blind.
My experience is that it's foolish to assume that anyone is trying their utmost not to have an accident and that I can rely on them to be paying attention to my lights.
Amazingly, I've not had any incident for ages so something must be working.