The new R1

pipski99

Reaction score
While at Alford Bros Yamaha Folestone yesterday I saw a new R1 in the flesh for the first time and I nearly did a little sex wee it's so dam sexy looking. It was in blue and had a rather superb akrapovic can or maybe the full system I'm not sure. If money was no object I'd have snapped it up on the spot.

They did also have in stock a new Suzuki GSX S1000F (I know, blasphemy) which is being widely praised at the moment and is also very tempting as a second bike and stable mate to my MT. The suspension and brakes on the Suzuki certainly put the MT equipment to shame and so does the handling by all accounts.

Ponder, ponder, discuss?

Last edited:

pipski99

Reaction score

Fluke

Reaction score
Hi Mate,
You asked so I'll do my best to answer.
My comment was based on the assumption that you like the MT09 but it depends what you're after.

I used to own a FZ1 with all sorts of engine work but I didn't like it because the power delivery was too high up the rev range and I like bottom end.
The GSX1000S is another version of the same bike. If that's what you're after you'll not be disappointed but I find it a bit bland.

To give you a bit of context, I have a 1200 bandit as well as an MT and I love them both.
My bandit is my daily hack. Effortless bottom end power, comfortable and easy to ride.
The MT is utter hooliganery. Highly strung, insane acceleration and handling.
When I got off the GSX1000S it felt like the bastard love child of both my bikes.
The only reason I'd own one is because a law was passed restricting bike ownership to one per person.

I hope that helps.
All the best, Fluke

pipski99

Reaction score
I understand what you're saying Fluke but what I'm looking for in a second bike is something different enough from the MT to justify owning and running a second bike.

For example I don't want another naked, another triple, another hooligan bike, another bargain basement bike which has to have cash thrown at the sadly lacking brakes and suspension and which still can't really do a long distance touring role easily.

So think FZ-1 fazer, Z1000SX tourer, Ducati Multistrada 1200S, GSX S1000F, BMW S1000XR, maybe Trimph tiger or explorer - yes I know I said not a triple but they're far enough away from the MT to make a difference.

I want a bike to be able to load up clothes and kit for a week away and a 600 mile round trip which is what I do in my car twice a month. The MT is not he bike for that so of the bikes I mention the new GSX S1000F isn't a bad choice.

Hope that makes sense - I'm looking for a stable mate different in character to the MT, not similar to it and not instead of it - I'll still be able to take mad rides out on the MT whenever the mood takes me.

Last edited: