The one good thing about the Snatchy Throttle

relz

Reaction score
It teaches you clutch control.

With my previous bikes, I've only used the clutch for gear shifting. Cornering consisted of entering at the correct speed and gear, and then control the turn and lean using smooth throttle inputs.

With the MT's jumpy on/off throttle behavior, I found this impossible, and it forced me to use the clutch much more in order to smooth out the throttle inputs while turning. Actually I realized that now I've got my fingers applying slight pressure on the clutch (probably not too good for clutch wear) every time I close/open my throttle, regardless if it's in a turn or on a straight road.

Hopefully, with the revised CO settings I can go back to the good old throttle only control when cornering, without needing to worry about clutching it, but I think the habit of clutching in order to smooth out throttle power is a good technique to master.
e.g. When riding in slippery conditions (early morning tires, or wet road), I think that keeping some pressure on the clutch can help keeping the tire from skidding/slipping due to throttle changes which deliver too much power than the tire can cope with under the conditions.

Just my two cents (or pennies)...

Motley

Reaction score
Have you taken the slack out of the throttle cable? You're "riding the clutch" and that could lead to premature wear.

relz

Reaction score
Have you taken the slack out of the throttle cable? You're "riding the clutch" and that could lead to premature wear.
Yes, I took out the slack on the first day.

Are you telling me people manage to ride this bike in A mode, with the snatchy throttle, while leaning in a slow corner and only use the throttle?
I just found it too unnerving, and requiring too much concentration to operate the throttle without it jerking the bike mid-turn.

Motley

Reaction score
I'm only telling you that riding, or slipping, the clutch will lead to premature wear, not what other people are doing. You go-ahead and do what you need to, I'm merely giving you something, albeit unsolicited, to consider.

M

MT account

my brother uses ballast to smooth out any jerkiness.....:)
arsemoose.jpg

uppylad

Reaction score
You should not be pulling clutch in whilst cornering, you need drive to the chain and hence tyres to be constant, learers pull clutch in whilst cornering because they are going too fast or frightened, if riding a 115 bhp bike you feel the need to do this then maybe you need to use B mode until you are confident with the power.

marcusfordus

Reaction score
Ive read this and must commend you on the riding style. Its harder to ride on the clutch than actually being smooth with your throttle.
Something doesn't quite add up with your bike being that bad.

Sent from my XT615 using Tapatalk 2

relz

Reaction score
Ive read this and must commend you on the riding style. Its harder to ride on the clutch than actually being smooth with your throttle.
Something doesn't quite add up with your bike being that bad.

Sent from my XT615 using Tapatalk 2
I agree, I much preferred my previous bike which didn't require any fancy clutch control, the throttle itself was silky smooth from opening upwards (good old fashioned CV carbs).

As I mentioned, the mere fact that I changed the air/fuel mixture yesterday, has made it much better and indeed I don't feel the need to feather the clutch anymore. I've just got to get rid of the habit that I've been developing to smooth it out.

Or maybe I've just got beefy hands, and can't control the throttle gently :rolleyes:, but I've never had any similar issues before the MT...

relz

Reaction score
You should not be pulling clutch in whilst cornering, you need drive to the chain and hence tyres to be constant, learers pull clutch in whilst cornering because they are going too fast or frightened, if riding a 115 bhp bike you feel the need to do this then maybe you need to use B mode until you are confident with the power.
I think you got it the wrong way around, perhaps I didn't explain myself properly.
I have no problem with the fast speed or the power, the problem is most noticeable in slow corners. Blasting around a corner at high speed with half a throttle open is just fine, nice and steady :)

uppylad

Reaction score
relz, in town mine is also a pig, I change to B mode in traffic, Std is fine for open roads & A if I want a bit of a play, If you don't like the MT throttle snatch don't ever buy an MV Agusta Brutale, my 910 R tried to kill me several times on roundabouts and slow corners, and there were NO alternative modes on that one, ride safe.

M

MT account

relz, in town mine is also a pig, I change to B mode in traffic, Std is fine for open roads & A if I want a bit of a play, If you don't like the MT throttle snatch don't ever buy an MV Agusta Brutale, my 910 R tried to kill me several times on roundabouts and slow corners, and there were NO alternative modes on that one, ride safe.
lol! that might explain why my *got stupid amounts of money but been riding for 5 minutes* acquaintance never rides his........:)

M

MT account

i found *munter* was easier to pronounce.....which is why we havnt spoken since 2008.......i have a family tattoo........:)

Birdy

Reaction score
Down to emission regs all this jerking off.....bikes and cars run much leaner nowdays, to get thru all the regs,,,possible to do it with all the modern computer controlled stuff . Like you said relz, never had it with carbs, partial throttle opening , a glug of extra fuel will smooooth that nicely . My xjr 1200 was wonderful , but struggled to do more than 32mpg! Not so noticeable in cars with heavy drive weight and no chain .Ah well... thats progress...