The throttle snatch

Jess Wright

Reaction score
Hi so my new babe had her first run out yesterday did about 100 miles , and I quickly noticed that in standard mode when rolling the throttle open to power up out of the corners it was very jerky and nearly ended up in the hedge a couple of times . Now I know this is a fairly well known problem but as I have only just got the mt09 thought it may of left the factory with the new map .

Ok it's a 2014 model but we're they not shipping the new bikes with better maps mid 2014 . Is there any way from chassis engine numbers I can find the production date of my bike .

My local dealer says he hasn't done any bikes to the Yamaha flash yet . So it may just be me being an old git and and just not being as agile in my old age .

flipper

Reaction score
Phone Yamaha and ask them? Mine is a 2014 bike and had the original map.

I prefer the new map - I find it smoother and therefore easier to ride quicker.

flydnb

Reaction score
mine is a 2014 and has the original map so yours could do , just go back to the dealers and get them to update it, its free .

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
Jess, my opinion is to ride it for all the "brake in" period (600mil) in B-mode just to get used to mt-09's brutallity..
Then, at first service & oil change ask your dealer to reduce the throtle's grip free play to minimum.
Also (i hope) the FI equalize/adjusment will synchronize the 3 cylinders to work better.
Then ride the bike for a few hundrend miles and decide what is the best for your riding skills..

P.S.
You can check if your bike is "new-age" or "older" from chassis serial number.
If the last 4 digits are between 0300 - 3800 its obvious that your bike is in group of MT-09s that need the front light recall, ABS unit recall, Cam Chain Tensioner recall, etc. which most of us have done.
At your bike's photo i saw that there isn't an abs model (so forget about abs recall)..
In any case don't worry and enjoy your new "toy"...:cool:

Last edited:

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
Mine is May 2014, reflashing was about August/September time, had mine done, noticeable straight away. I remember the announcement in the forum, and the headlight recall so I emailed my dealer to book it in.... Was on hols at the time...

Just got kevs O2 mod, that will iron the rest out....

misscrabstick

Reaction score
Hi so my new babe had her first run out yesterday did about 100 miles , and I quickly noticed that in standard mode when rolling the throttle open to power up out of the corners it was very jerky and nearly ended up in the hedge a couple of times . Now I know this is a fairly well known problem but as I have only just got the mt09 thought it may of left the factory with the new map .

Ok it's a 2014 model but we're they not shipping the new bikes with better maps mid 2014 . Is there any way from chassis engine numbers I can find the production date of my bike .

My local dealer says he hasn't done any bikes to the Yamaha flash yet . So it may just be me being an old git and and just not being as agile in my old age .
Kev's o2 controller will fix this, the Yamaha flash in my opinion didn't do much for mine, it seemed better for a while but then i guess i got used to it and it just wasn't all that, I have an idea it works better with the original exhaust over the Akra but that's from a bike the dealer lent me I formed that opinion.

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
Kev's o2 controller will fix this, the Yamaha flash in my opinion didn't do much for mine, it seemed better for a while but then i guess i got used to it and it just wasn't all that, I have an idea it works better with the original exhaust over the Akra but that's from a bike the dealer lent me I formed that opinion.
I'll find out on Thursday Miss C, kevs mod & Akra Titanium going on... And the R&G bar ends I had off you...(months ago)

Jess Wright

Reaction score
Jess, my opinion is to ride it for all the "brake in" period (600mil) in B-mode just to get used to mt-09's brutallity..
Then, at first service & oil change ask your dealer to reduce the throtle's grip free play to minimum.
Also (i hope) the FI equalize/adjusment will synchronize the 3 cylinders to work better.
Then ride the bike for a few hundrend miles and decide what is the best for your riding skills..

P.S.
You can check if your bike is "new-age" or "older" from chassis serial number.
If the last 4 digits are between 0300 - 3800 its obvious that your bike is in group of MT-09s that need the front light recall, ABS unit recall, Cam Chain Tensioner recall, etc. which most of us have done.
At your bike's photo i saw that there isn't an abs model (so forget about abs recall)..
In any case don't worry and enjoy your new "toy"...:cool:
Frame number ends in 4332 , I,m just riding in regular mode unless it's pissing down , that 02 mod is it like putting a power commander on but without all the bells and whistles .

Jess Wright

Reaction score
I'll find out on Thursday Miss C, kevs mod & Akra Titanium going on... And the R&G bar ends I had off you...(months ago)

Had a play with the r&g website the other day , have the rear hugger , bar ends and rear peg eliminators on their way .

Jess Wright

Reaction score
Ok just sent Kev message think that controller is the was to go reading all 24 comments about it .

Kinjane

Reaction score
Frame number ends in 4332 , I,m just riding in regular mode unless it's pissing down , that 02 mod is it like putting a power commander on but without all the bells and whistles .
Mines in the early 6000's and needed the headlight sub harness fixing and still had the first generation map. The free updated Yamaha map definitely works.
The O2 Controller wont boost your top end like an ECU flash or power commander but will noticeably improve the lower ranges

Last edited:

Jess Wright

Reaction score
Mines in the early 6000's and needed the headlight sub harness fixing and still had the first generation map. The free updated Yamaha map definitely works.
The O2 Controller wont boost your top end like an ECU flash or power commander but will noticeably improve the lower ranges
Just been looking throught the facebook page as well now have the O2 controller on order. and seriously thinking of haveing that ecu flash done in Newbury . Not really worried about top end stuff I,m not a massively fast. Rider but want a really smooth ride .

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just been looking throught the facebook page as well now have the O2 controller on order. and seriously thinking of haveing that ecu flash done in Newbury . Not really worried about top end stuff I,m not a massively fast. Rider but want a really smooth ride .
Well if u want it done just give me a shout and I will fit u in somewhere for the flash...

UnluckySlats

Reaction score
I had mine flashed through TT and all I can say is money
well spent the difference is amazing it was like
getting a new bike all over again

Davy

Reaction score
Ok just sent Kev message think that controller is the was to go reading all 24 comments about it .
I have Kev's mod, bought from ebay I think the day before he offered it for sale to the forum with a discount doh! anyway I only got round to fitting it this morning, took about 20 mins and for me it's made a big difference to how the bike behaves at low speeds.

I had really given up on Standard mode as I felt I was lurching forward at low speeds, roudabouts being the worst or bumpy roads I was surging forward at a minuscule turn of the throttle so in town it was usually B mode but lately I leave it in A as for some reason it wasn't as jerky as Standard mode, no idea why.

After fitting the mod I did about 120ish enjoyable miles just larking about around Fife/Edinburgh/Kincardine area up here in sunny Scotland, stopping to view the bridge, mix of town, A roads and motorways..think I may have been caught by a speed camera unfortunately lol but I'll find out later when the postie visits. The point is though I deliberately kept it in Standard mode most of the day and found it to be quite enjoyable, no kangaroo gas, B mode was as smooth as ever and A mode was fine too.

I'm still on the original map, I'd asked the dealer about the updated map at the 600 mile service which he said he would do but wanted me to see how the bike was after the service and I didn't get it done after all as I found A mode to be OK for most days a B for when it's slippy and I couldn't be arsed frankly, I've done about 3500 miles now.

I doubt I'll get it flashed now..maybe get the custom one in the summer to curb the insane engine breaking or maybe I'll just get used to that too.

Kevs mod big thumbs up from me.

Crazytown

Reaction score
I had my MT remapped by Yamaha, mixed feelings:-

Mode STD = Far better than before, not as mad off the line and more of a smooth delivery. The response when cruising in higher gears on closed to slightly open throttle is much better. Not jerky or "on/off" like before.

Mode A = OMG- what have they done. What was a great ride from a standstill is now even worse. Really flat up to 4,000 then it takes off, the slow start encourages clutch slip but the bang at 4K is really off putting and has the effect of the clutch grabbing.
What were they thinking?

Mode B = don't know as I never use it.

Why couldn't they have separated the modes STD and A better. In my view A mode was great for those times when the red mist descended. I do admit STD mode is far better.
I have also noticed a worse fuel consumption after the Yamaha remap.

Given the choice now, I would have left the bike as it was from the factory. Unfortunately, we are told there is no way back.

Would a Power Commander sort it out?

Location is Singapore by the way. Bike = 6K KMs.