This is torture (engine break in)

RipGroove

Reaction score
Picked the bike up Saturday with only 3 miles on the clock, sun was shining yesterday and there were loads of bikes out on the road. Having to keep it below 5600rpm while there are bikes all around you, overtaking and having fun etc is absolute torture! Having to shift UP a gear to overtake (in order to get the required speed without high revs is weird and makes me look like a pleb!) Felt like I was on a dam moped :-( So far have managed 280 miles out of the required total of 1000 miles. Am working long days this week so won't get another chance to make a dent in that mileage until next weekend now :-(

Twozup

Reaction score
Bring back the good old days (20's/30's?) when, without shame, you could hang a bit of cardboard on the back with "please pass- breaking in" written on it haha!!!

Click [HERE] then {HERE}

RipGroove

Reaction score
Bring back the good old days (20's/30's?) when, without shame, you could hang a bit of cardboard on the back with "please pass- breaking in" written on it haha!!!

Click [HERE] then {HERE}
lol that would be mint.

Chuck

Reaction score
Avoid prolonged operation above 5600rpm. Doesn't say keep below 5600

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Click [HERE] then {HERE}
I think only u wud remember that lol. Was that back when centurion was a rank, not a tank lol

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Click [HERE] then {HERE}
Only u wud remember that bud. Was that back when centurion was a rank , not a tank lol

RipGroove

Reaction score
Avoid prolonged operation above 5600rpm. Doesn't say keep below 5600

Yeah I know but I'm just playing it safe tbh, dealer told me the odd blip to 6k was ok but tbh if I can't ride it properly then whats the point.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I know but I'm just playing it safe tbh, dealer told me the odd blip to 6k was ok but tbh if I can't ride it properly then whats the point.
Just pin it lol. To be fair, as long as u dont labour the engine and give it bore wash u shud b fine...!

Chuck

Reaction score
Yeah. It's badly worded. You could blip it to redline and still be within their recommendation ;)

Twozup

Reaction score
Only u wud remember that bud. Was that back when centurion was a rank , not a tank lol

Haha I'm not that old still a youngster in my own mind

I remember seeing it somewhere maybe in late 70's or maybe on telly?

Agree that the odd forray into the high end of the rev range prob does more good than harm (bloody hope so anyway)

As an engineer (civil not mechanical I hasten to add!!) I know there will be more than one school of thought and both will be sitting on opposite side of the fence!

Just use the force Luke

Click [HERE] then {HERE}

RipGroove

Reaction score
As I bought the bike new and need to preserve the warranty I have to do it by the book really. This is what I'm doing:

600miles of going up down through the revs on B roads and town keeping any prolonging at any revs to a minimum, all the while not exceeding 5600rpm.

600mile service.

600-1000miles, same as first 600miles but upping the max revs to 6000rpm.

1000miles reached, normal riding increasing the max revs from 6000rpm to max revs slowly increasing by 1000rpm at a time.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As I bought the bike new and need to preserve the warranty I have to do it by the book really. This is what I'm doing:

600miles of going up down through the revs on B roads and town keeping any prolonging at any revs to a minimum, all the while not exceeding 5600rpm.

600mile service.

600-1000miles, same as first 600miles but upping the max revs to 6000rpm.

1000miles reached, normal riding increasing the max revs from 6000rpm to max revs slowly increasing by 1000rpm at a time.
I think ull find its 6800rpm 600-1000 but I cud b wrong lol

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Haha I'm not that old still a youngster in my own mind

I remember seeing it somewhere maybe in late 70's or maybe on telly?

Agree that the odd forray into the high end of the rev range prob does more good than harm (bloody hope so anyway)

As an engineer (civil not mechanical I hasten to add!!) I know there will be more than one school of thought and both will be sitting on opposite side of the fence!

Just use the force Luke

Click [HERE] then {HERE}
In the 70's. My god how old r u lol

Spot

Reaction score
We'll find out who was right about engine break-in when we starting hitting the dyno....

As for engine longevity who gives a monkeys? I bet most of ya change bikes before you get anywhere near a high mileage ;)

RipGroove

Reaction score
We'll find out who was right about engine break-in when we starting hitting the dyno....

As for engine longevity who gives a monkeys? I bet most of ya change bikes before you get anywhere near a high mileage ;)
This is true but as an engineer I can't help but look after anything mechanical.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My mate jokes that I never keep a bike long enuf to get it dirty. This is my 4th bike in 14 months. He shud be grateful as I've bought them all off him as he owns the dealership lol

flydnb

Reaction score
My mate jokes that I never keep a bike long enuf to get it dirty. This is my 4th bike in 14 months. He shud be grateful as I've bought them all off him as he owns the dealership lol

I would call you my best friend if you were buying bikes off of me that regularly .