This is torture (engine break in)

RipGroove

Reaction score
Not at all mate, didn't take it like that at all :)

anthony1979

Reaction score
I enjoyed watching mine clock round from 1599 to 1600 Knowing that the break-in was complete today. Got a new oil filter and made the switch to Motul full synthetic, lubed up the chain and gave her a good wash. Man it opens up a whole new world taking it over 7000rpm !!

RipGroove

Reaction score
I enjoyed watching mine clock round from 1599 to 1600 Knowing that the break-in was complete today. Got a new oil filter and made the switch to Motul full synthetic, lubed up the chain and gave her a good wash. Man it opens up a whole new world taking it over 7000rpm !!
Man I can't wait, I've just finished the first 600 miles, now I have to do another 600, upping the limit to 7800rpm will defo make the next 600 miles more fun, amazing what a difference it makes.

Sent from outer space

flydnb

Reaction score
7800 rpm after 600 miles? I thought it was 6800 ? check the manual mate.

RipGroove

Reaction score
7800 rpm after 600 miles? I thought it was 6800 ? check the manual mate.
Yeah my bad thats what I meant! That extra few rpm gets you in the real power for a few seconds so is much more fun than the previous 5600rpm.

Sent from outer space

misscrabstick

Reaction score
Some of you guys seem very anal about running in, I was always taught don't labour it and don't rev the nuts out of it for prolonged periods, otherwise use it normally. There is an old school of thought that engines nursed through the "running in" period end up burning oil and having low compressions due to bore glaze.

RipGroove

Reaction score
Some of you guys seem very anal about running in, I was always taught don't labour it and don't rev the nuts out of it for prolonged periods, otherwise use it normally. There is an old school of thought that engines nursed through the "running in" period end up burning oil and having low compressions due to bore glaze.
Seems to be 50/50 arguments for each case, but for me personally I'm doing it by the book as I bought it new and don't want any warranty issues.

Sent from outer space

flydnb

Reaction score
I don't nurse mine or labour it either I just use the revs and I don't go above the stated 5600 then 6600 for long periods.

RipGroove

Reaction score
I don't nurse mine or labour it either I just use the revs and I don't go above the stated 5600 then 6600 for long periods.
Now I've done the first 600 religiously I might adopt that technique for the next 600. Worth noting during the first 600 I've mainly just been going up and down the revs and gears and trying very hard not to hold it any any rpm for any amount of time.

Sent from outer space

Last edited:

Birdy

Reaction score
I think i may have misread my manual...thought it said do not let revs drop below 6800 for first 600 miles ....:(

RipGroove

Reaction score
Have read a few articles now on this subject and am starting to lean towards maybe straying from the book.

So far I've done 600 miles in city and on B-roads going up and down through the revs and gears all the while not exceeding 5600rpm and keeping any constant rpm to a minimum. And have just had the 600 mile service done.

Then another 50 miles of varying speeds keeping the revs below 6800 rpm.

So now I'm thinking maybe I'll just go out for a few hours Saturday and do say:

20 miles of varying speeds keeping the revs between 5600 & 7600

Stop and cool down

20 miles of varying speeds keeping the revs between 7600 & 9600

Stop and cool down

20 miles of varying speeds while slowly inching up the rev range until I reach MAX revs

Then for a few rides after that just ride it normally but in the knowledge that its still a new engine so keep acceleration smooth and generally not hammer the f*ck out of it and not maintain any stupid high speed or revs for any prolonged period.

Can anyone see a problem with that?

Sent from outer space

Last edited:

flydnb

Reaction score
Have read a few articles now on this subject and am starting to lean towards maybe straying from the book.

So far I've done 600 miles in city and on B-roads going up and down through the revs and gears all the while not exceeding 5600rpm and keeping any constant rpm to a minimum. And have just had the 600 mile service done.

Stop and cool down

Stop and cool down

20 miles of varying speeds while slowly inching up the rev range until I reach MAX revs

Then for a few rides after that just ride it normally but in the knowledge that its still a new engine so keep acceleration smooth and generally not hammer the f*ck out of it and not maintain any stupid high speed or revs for any prolonged period.

Sent from outer space
I would just ride it going up and down the gears but don't give prolonged use above 6800 like down the motorway for hours on end, the occasional burst to max revs will be ok even do it some good. What I plan to do is when I get to 1000 miles is do an extra oil and filter change just because im anal about oil changes on bikes, coming from an off road background ive seen how frequent oil and filter changes make the engine run sweeter.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Stop and cool down

Stop and cool down

Sent from outer space
Yes I see a problem with this...unless you only use first and second, maybe third...u won't be able to keep between 7600 & 9600rpm and be the rite side of the law lol. I do well over a tonne in third doing 9-10k revs mate. I like ur thinkin tho. Personally... I rode as per the book till my 600 mile service then rode it "Normally" and have done ever since since. I've just clocked 1550 "enjoyable" miles.

RipGroove

Reaction score
Yes I see a problem with this...unless you only use first and second, maybe third...u won't be able to keep between 7600 & 9600rpm and be the rite side of the law lol. I do well over a tonne in third doing 9-10k revs mate. I like ur thinkin tho. Personally... I rode as per the book till my 600 mile service then rode it "Normally" and have done ever since since. I've just clocked 1550 "enjoyable" miles.
lol I see ya point, you get my logic though :)

Sent from outer space