Timing Chain

LewFZ1

Reaction score
I know this has been done to death , I have tried using the search link either I am really thick and doing something wrong but getting no links.
I noticed yesterday that I have a rattle when I was stopped at a junction and when I was moving off it sounded like a nose you would expect to hear from an old rocker and tappet engine bike. Could be this be the timing chain adjuster/chain needing a look at. Bike has about 1800 kms on it now she is a 2013 model.
Also I have noticed a rattle from the clutch side not concerned about this as when you pull the clutch in it disappears and Yamaha are nosey clutches anyway.
Lew

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Went for a ride today forgot to wear ear plugs. Bike sounded rough, timing chain. Anyway see attached photos. I read on here somewhere think might have been FZ-09 section that a fix can be fit a longer bolt and lock nut. When I removed the Yamaha bolt and fitted the Allen key to adjust the tensioner the Allen key was turning under it's own weight with the engine running. I let it go like this until it stopped. Gave the Allen key about another 1/4 of a turn and the engine went a lot quieter. I stopped the engine and fitted the washer and the longer bolt with the locking nut. Screwed it in hand tight until I felt a bit of resistance then nipped it about a 1/4 of a turn and secured the lock nut. I will see if this is a fix if not will put it back to standard again and take it to a Yamaha dealer. The bolt I fitted is not stainless if this is a fix I will source a stainless bolt and locknut. 20151210_172320[1].jpg20151210_171934[1].jpg

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Yea I think what happens is the adjuster is backing off and the chain is going slack. My thinking is if it is a longer bolt and the end of the bolt is touching the adjuster it cannot back off so the chain should stay at the correct setting. Time will tell. The defect IMO is that the spring in the adjuster is not sufficient to create enough tension on the chain and also to stop the adjuster from backing off.

Mark Arnold Evered

Reaction score
This seems to do the job, however there is a video online of someone who has managed to shatter his tensioner. I presume he didn't back off the longer bolt at all, causing the inner adjuster to crush between the taught chain and the longer bolt.Make sure it's definitely backed off a touch before tightening your lock nut! Just had my tensioner replaced today, wonder how long the new one will last :(

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Yea I spotted that vid on youtube, I adjusted the tensioner by letting the Allen key vibrate round on its own weight then tightened about a 1/4 of a turn. I then put the longer bolt in by hand and added another 1/4 of a turn. Since I watched that vid which shows the shattered tensioner. I have redone it again and this time turned the longer bolt until it came up against the Allen screw/tensioner and backed it off a touch and locked it in place. Things in Spain move slowly concerning main dealers etc! I am awaiting a date for them to look at the bike. It is about 120 mile round trip to a Yamaha dealer were I live. I may well take a run up to Alicante if I hear nothing in a week or so. I have a local workshop in contact with them about it.

PaulG

Reaction score
Went for a ride today forgot to wear ear plugs. Bike sounded rough, timing chain. Anyway see attached photos. I read on here somewhere think might have been FZ-09 section that a fix can be fit a longer bolt and lock nut. When I removed the Yamaha bolt and fitted the Allen key to adjust the tensioner the Allen key was turning under it's own weight with the engine running. I let it go like this until it stopped. Gave the Allen key about another 1/4 of a turn and the engine went a lot quieter. I stopped the engine and fitted the washer and the longer bolt with the locking nut. Screwed it in hand tight until I felt a bit of resistance then nipped it about a 1/4 of a turn and secured the lock nut. I will see if this is a fix if not will put it back to standard again and take it to a Yamaha dealer. The bolt I fitted is not stainless if this is a fix I will source a stainless bolt and locknut. View attachment 3713View attachment 3712
That is not the correct way to set the longer screw.You should set the allen screw to stop the rattle ( no more than 1/4 turn ) then set the longer screw so it just touches the allen screw with no tension and lock it.
The longer screw is just there to stop the allen screw backing out. The way you did it puts force on the allen screw and the tensioner mechanism. This is not a good thing.

Edit: Your later post corrected that - I'll leave my comment above so others understand the potential problem if the lock screw is too tight.

Last edited:

LewFZ1

Reaction score
That is not the correct way to set the longer screw.You should set the allen screw to stop the rattle ( no more than 1/4 turn ) then set the longer screw so it just touches the allen screw with no tension and lock it.
The longer screw is just there to stop the allen screw backing out. The way you did it puts force on the allen screw and the tensioner mechanism. This is not a good thing.

Edit: Your later post corrected that - I'll leave my comment above so others understand the potential problem if the lock screw is too tight.
Yes as you say I have corrected it. I am very tempted to take the whole thing out to look at the actual tensioner it is obviously a piss poor design. Only thing stopping me is I will invalidate the warranty, although my bike is a 2013 model and just out of the two year Yamaha warranty I thankfully have taken out the extended warranty. I have had the bike now about 2 months and when I bought it there was only 875kms on it, I now have 2500kms.
Living in Spain has certain advantages but customer care and after sales service is not one of them.

PeaceMaker

Reaction score
What about the APE manual tensioner? Anybody tested it yet? Seems to solve this problem for good.

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Well I have finally been told by my local bike shop that Yamaha want to take a look at my bike concerning the timing chain tensioner, I had best get my modified bolt out and put it back to stock. Think I will even back the tensioner off a tad so the chain sounds like a bag of hammers. The bike will be transported in a van as the main dealers is in Alicante. Thing is since my mod it has been spot on , back in stock mode I have adjust the chain every 250/300kms. This is my opportunity to see if I can get drive chain adjusting billets changed as well also query the headlight loom mod. This is not a new bike to me , she was nearly out of warranty when I bought her so I took a years extended warranty which they have now acknowledged I have. Things here in Spain move slowly, well not all the things the MT-09 is a wee pocket rocket.

LewFZ1

Reaction score
You guys are lucky if you have a dealer that actually does what they say they will do>
See above post re chain
I was told by local bike shop to have my bike at his place for Collection on Monday 11th January which I did.
I was told they will need the bike for a week as they will only do collection and delivery to this area once a week , real pain but!!!
I was in a shop near my local guy and dropped into for a chat, there is my bike still sitting there WTF!!! oh they will come for it tomorrow!!! he says.
He also says they want to adjust the timing chain before they will change to the modified part.
I have told him to tell them to fuck off I will just go back to my own setup before they can stick there extended warranty where the sun don't shine.
I think Yamaha EU will be getting a letter of complaint about how well their brand is being represented and maintained for out here in sunny Spain.

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Note the date on my post, I wish I had told Yamaha Alicante to eff off, they took the bike and guess what they still have it. There excuse is they are awaiting parts. They have had the bike 10 days now. They may deliver it back today, failing that it MAY be Monday WTF , last time they will ever see it this is not customer service.

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
I had the CCT rattling like the wife, by the time i got to the dealer, it had stopped... Last week it went in for service, only 3k miles, got it back and all the way home the wife was in the engine, she was moaning like a right bitch. Chucked it in the garage, started it today, all quiet...

I had a convo with my dealer.... They have changed loads of cct's, but yam reckon not one has been found to be faulty.. Think im gonna insist on it being changed, warrenty up in June '16..

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had the CCT rattling like the wife, by the time i got to the dealer, it had stopped... Last week it went in for service, only 3k miles, got it back and all the way home the wife was in the engine, she was moaning like a right bitch. Chucked it in the garage, started it today, all quiet...

I had a convo with my dealer.... They have changed loads of cct's, but yam reckon not one has been found to be faulty.. Think im gonna insist on it being changed, warrenty up in June '16..
Do it...!
Better to be done now then out of warranty bud.