Tracer C0 Adjustment Guide

Juvecu

Reaction score
I have some trouble with the closed loop fuelling being very touchy because it runs too lean (damned emission regulations :mad: ) It's like riding with some chain lash on very small throttle openings and even in B mode on the Tracer it's not smooth when you open the throttle from fully closed. This is hindering smooth gear changes and things like fine control when putting the power back on for a corner exit. It's also annoying riding like this in town traffic. I read that there is a C0 setting per cylinder that can be used to richen things up a bit. On the XT660 forum I found some instructions, but they didn't quite match what I saw on the Tracer when I went to go do them so I took pictures. I hope this helps someone else, but please research the C0 setting first before you make any changes so that you know what you're changing and what the effects are. This is only a guide, it's your responsibility to know what you're changing and to live with the results (may they be good results!)

Start by making sure your kill switch is in the STOP position.

Press and hold both the TCS and RESET buttons and then turn the ignition ON. Doing this is a bit tricky, you need some force to press them in well, but you can feel them engage when you do.

Keep holding the buttons and after about 8-10 seconds and the right side of the display will flash ECU, let go of both buttons when this shows.

Now press and hold the TCS and RESET buttons again for about 3-4 seconds and you should see DIAG at the top of the screen, let go when this shows.

Press the TCS button once and the screen should show C0 now.

Now press and hold both TCS and RESET buttons again until C0 and 01 shows in the middle of the screen (takes 3-4 seconds), let go when this shows.

Pressing TCS or RESET now will cycle through 01 --> 02 --> 03 --> 01 --> etc. This changes the cylinder data that you're going to look at/modify.

When you are on the cylinder number that you want to modify, press and hold the TCS and RESET buttons for 3-4 seconds and an extra DATA field will appear, let go when this shows.

I have a stock bike, my values were showing 0 for all three cylinders. Pressing TCS or RESET will modify this value up or down. I didn't check, but I think the range is from -128 to 128. I set all three my cylinders to 10 and will see how it feels on the way to work tomorrow.

Once you've set a specific cylinder you can step back by pressing the TCS and RESET buttons together once and letting go right away. You'll be back to the previous level where you can pick between the cylinder 01, 02 or 03. If you're done setting all the cylinders there is no way to step further back than where you choose which cylinder to view/modify so simply turn the ignition off, all values are saved on the fly as you modify them. I recommend going back in and checking that all the C0 values are as you set them (assuming you made changes) before you start the bike with the new settings. As far as I'm aware, all cylinders should always be set to the same number.

Pool Boy

Reaction score
The FJR guys used to do the same mod (typically +15) with good results
However, there was a fairly wide range of starting values - both from bike to bike and from one cylinder to another which (kind of) implies that the ECU was set up in the factory to satisfy some test parameter or other.
Never really got to the bottom of this.

Juvecu

Reaction score
It makes sense to try the free options first before paying for a mod.

misscrabstick

Reaction score
You joined this forum last month, you are doing stuff we did over a year ago, save yourself some time and go back and read the old posts, like when we did the co adjust on the dash, like when we fitted throttle tube tamers, like when we messed about adjusting throttle cable free play, and finally when we found something that works with that closed loop snatch, the kev mod.:)

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You joined this forum last month, you are doing stuff we did over a year ago, save yourself some time and go back and read the old posts, like when we did the co adjust on the dash, like when we fitted throttle tube tamers, like when we messed about adjusting throttle cable free play, and finally when we found something that works with that closed loop snatch, the kev mod.:)
Lol. Miss C u tell him. On a serious note though. We did work all those things out (apart from the kev but)! over a year ago now

Phlewc

Reaction score
Thanks Juvecu - some of us less experienced people around here didn't know about this, very useful information (dunno if i am brave enough to play with it though :) ).

Juvecu

Reaction score
Feel free to delete it then if there's another thread like it with good pictures and all. I've searched the Tracer part of the forum and didn't find anything, other new members will have the same problem.

sprint

Reaction score
Yes very useful indeed.
I am just wondering if any reset was done on my bike after the 1000 km service, since it was a tad more sluggish after that.. Now I mentioned this to the service department & they may not have wanted to tell me about any reset they did.. Anyone know what they could have done..?

misscrabstick

Reaction score
Yes very useful indeed.
I am just wondering if any reset was done on my bike after the 1000 km service, since it was a tad more sluggish after that.. Now I mentioned this to the service department & they may not have wanted to tell me about any reset they did.. Anyone know what they could have done..?
On the MT09 Yamaha did release a flash for the ecu to tame the power delivery down and to reduce snatch a bit, it wasn't that good to be honest, perhaps they flashed it as part of the service?

J.J.B.

Reaction score
Thanks Juvecu, I followed your very clear instructions after fitting my Akra on Saturday and set the CO levels to 12 on each cylinder. It's just one of those situations where the Tracer is slightly different from the classic MT09 and it made sense to follow instructions intended for the relevant model instead of something similar, but not the same.

Ozzie

Reaction score
Been having trouble with my Tracer since its birth in May 2015. Adjusted throttle slack which improved things then discovered this post and have made the adjustments exact as described. Only had a short test drive but feel far more stable under small throttle openings. Thanks for the info. Dont think i will bother with a Kev now as this seems to have fixed the glitch. Dont give a shit about EU emission regs.

Last edited:

MJ09

Reaction score
UK, Midlands between coventry and Birmingham
Hi Juvecu, very interesting, I think you are right to make this post, there are quite a few "junior" members now and its not always easy to find the old information. Anyway, as the Tracer has a new map the results may be different. How did you get on after you went to the +10 adjustment, could you feel a difference?

I must search for "the kev mod", not found out what it is yet...

Fatwasp

Reaction score
Thanks Juvecu

Hi Juvecu, very interesting, I think you are right to make this post, there are quite a few "junior" members now and its not always easy to find the old information. Anyway, as the Tracer has a new map the results may be different. How did you get on after you went to the +10 adjustment, could you feel a difference?

I must search for "the kev mod", not found out what it is yet...
I've just joined the forum and have gone straight to the Tracer section. Just what I was looking for mate. I don't have an MT-09 so didn't look in that section. Silly me.

Much appreciated, Thankyou.

Fatwasp

Reaction score
Results of 02 reset....

Three cylinders set to 14. A mode and standard transformed.... Smooth as a buttered bannister. Ta very much.

Tafy94

Reaction score
Thanks Juvecu, very helpful. Did the mo last night but haven't had chance to try it yet hopefully will have a spin later today.

MJ09

Reaction score
UK, Midlands between coventry and Birmingham
Following the guide in this thread, I adjusted my tracer co this weekend, set all 3 cylinders to 15. I am sure that it has smoothed the very initial on/off jerk and low speed turns are easier now.

I know that the "naked" MT09 guys dispute that this can work but the ecu's must have different maps and it seems fine for a Tracer. However, I think that the adjustment only affects idle, and just the very first fraction of throttle opening, I do not expect that the CO adjustment will affect any fuelling issues at higher revs.

By the way, am I the only one who records an average fuel consumption of 57.1 mpg no matter how or where I ride?

takahe

Reaction score
Another thank you for the how to. Set to 10 10 10.
Now have smooth throttle take up coming out of corners Tracer standard French spec.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know that the "naked" MT09 guys dispute that this can work but the ecu's must have different maps and it seems fine for a Tracer. However, I think that the adjustment only affects idle, and just the very first fraction of throttle opening, I do not expect that the CO adjustment will affect any fuelling issues at higher revs
Correct on both counts.....