Track day tyre pressures

stevecbr

Reaction score
Booked in for track evening coming Monday.
I have a new set of Michelin Pilot Road 3's fitted recently.
Just wondered whats the best pressure to run these at?
Was thinking around the 32/32 mark

boro

Reaction score
Booked in for track evening coming Monday.
I have a new set of Michelin Pilot Road 3's fitted recently.
Just wondered whats the best pressure to run these at?
Was thinking around the 32/32 mark
Seem to recall someone mentioning 28/28 as I had cold tear on my track day.

Patrick

Reaction score
there is no definite answer. Only a ball park average. Unless you go by the 6.5 psi rule which is effected by both air and track temperatures. If you are riding multiple days and the weather stays the same try a pressure you think might work. ride the bike till the tires are as warm as you think they are going to get and measure again. Try to aim for a 6.5 psi rise in pressure. If your over than you need to run higher pressure cooler tire. If it's lower than you need a lower pressure warmer tire. I don't remember where I got this info. It's been years. You will see that the front and rear will be at different pressures. Typically lower in the front and higher in the rear. Do not adjust the pressures while the tires are warm. Allow them to cool down. If you have a ir temp gun it makes it much easier, and you can have it all worked out in a couple of hours.

Last edited:

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score
As you say, track temperatures and tyre choice will play a huge role in right pressure. Personally, I'll see what knowledge the instructors at Circuit de Catalunya are keen to share for the 3 days.

Patrick

Reaction score
Tires as you know react drastically different to pressure. By finding a baseline and going from there. You are better able to decide which characteristics work best for you. No one can tell you what pressure to use. The 6.5 psi rule is for that purpose to give you a point to go off of. Have fun, and tell us how it goes.

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score
Tires as you know react drastically different to pressure. By finding a baseline and going from there. You are better able to decide which characteristics work best for you. No one can tell you what pressure to use. The 6.5 psi rule is for that purpose to give you a point to go off of. Have fun
Good call :)

stevecbr

Reaction score

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score
You pretty much had the track to yourself. Looked like a nice evening for it too. I need to get some track practice in so I know what to expect and get a feel for it. Where's the track you were at?

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
The rider (on a gsxr600 maybe?) that you overpass from inside lane at 2:36-2:42 doesn't has his feet on footrests properly..
The otherone near 2:00 was lowsided obviously... wrong turn-in and throttle closed are the causes.
Why there aren't any supervisor/insructor to learn the unexperienced riders how to sit on bike and use the gyroscopic manner to turn?
P.S.
Steve, your angles became better when you trust your tires!
What gears did you use?

stevecbr

Reaction score
Track was Snetterton, run by MSV, was only £39.
There were a couple of instructors, but what tends to happen is people on sports bikes get upset when a naked bike on sport touring tyres is ahead, and the red mist descends!
Track was fully booked, I'm only posting the videos when I'm not held up. If you do a track evening MSV only run 2 sessions, so its 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off. You get quite a bit of track time
Another clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc1-GisplUA

Last edited:

valvestem

Reaction score
28 28 is a good pressure, Gives good ride and remember this is a light bike. Not a 650 lb. plus sport tourer.
Take a ride, then check tire heat.

Ride safe U All
valvestem