Tyre wear

Birdy

Reaction score
2250 miles and my rear Dunlop down to wear markers ! Think i will be getting a hack for daily commute :(

crotchrocket

Reaction score
I was looking at mine yesterday (1900 miles) thinking.......SHIT, thats getting low!! Haven't heard anyone rate Dunlops on a bike. I hear Michelin Pilots are good ??

Cypher

Reaction score
Here's a page from the latest MCN where one guy is asking a question about the best hypersport tyre:

I've got the Bridgestone S20 on (like many of you) and can't fault them really. Maybe Dunlops are just rubbish.

Stripy

Reaction score
My Dunlops D214 are worn down now at 2900 miles.
Michelin PR4's to replace them.

flydnb

Reaction score
dam il need new tyres then by the summer, do you think the mt is bad on its tyres ?

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here's a page from the latest MCN where one guy is asking a question about the best hypersport tyre:

I've got the Bridgestone S20 on (like many of you) and can't fault them really. Maybe Dunlops are just rubbish.
I took the dunlops straight off before I even rode it out the dealers. They're wank..!

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

Facebook:-
www.facebook.com/spudrees

dapsmt09

Reaction score
Know what your saying guys, I clocked 1500 miles yesterday and the rear Dunlop is down to the wear markers already and squared off.

Was going to put another on as the front is still OK but false economy I think and never really had much confidence in the Dunlop's either.

Might try a pair of Pirelli Rossi 2's next an see how they wear.

Cheers daps!!!

crotchrocket

Reaction score
Why did they fit them then :( thats another £250 sunk into the bike, lol. Sounds like some people got bridgestones

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Out of the two bikes that r left in my dealers one has the dunplops on and the other has the S20's. Seems like its random luck which tyres r fitted

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

Facebook:-
www.facebook.com/spudrees

stevecbr

Reaction score
Mines got the S20's and the wear rate is poor. I will be fitting sport touring tyres next, I find they are much better, warm quicker, wear better, and handle better (the track rubber tends to have a pointy front, which is great for quick turn in in track, but makes it more prone to get slappy on bumpy roads. Sport touring tyres are more rounded, which makes for slower steering, but on a naked with wide bars like the MT, makes no difference really as you can counter steer to drop it in quick.
I will either go for Bridgestone BT023's, or the newer T30's depending on price.
Riding through winter on the S20's was not nice, I'm already half way to work before they have warmed up, and theyre a liability when cold!

anthony1979

Reaction score
2000km on my Dunlops now.. the centres are nearly down to the markers. not impressed.
They do seem fairly soft to me though, and they heat up pretty quick. But I think I will go for another brand when the rear is completely worn.

Cypher

Reaction score
Mines got the S20's and the wear rate is poor. I will be fitting sport touring tyres next, I find they are much better, warm quicker, wear better, and handle better (the track rubber tends to have a pointy front, which is great for quick turn in in track, but makes it more prone to get slappy on bumpy roads. Sport touring tyres are more rounded, which makes for slower steering, but on a naked with wide bars like the MT, makes no difference really as you can counter steer to drop it in quick.
I will either go for Bridgestone BT023's, or the newer T30's depending on price.
Riding through winter on the S20's was not nice, I'm already half way to work before they have warmed up, and theyre a liability when cold!
Speaking of T30, here's another article from last week's MCN where they compare it to a 10 year old racing tyre:

Thought you might be interested.

stevecbr

Reaction score
Thanks Cypher, interesting article. I had the old BT023's on the FZ6, and they were brilliant. Great in the wet, great in the dry, and did a snetterton track day on them, and they were fine. They had done 5000 miles when I sold the bike, they had at least another 3000 left in them.
I know they are good, as Ron Haslam had them on his cbr6's and blades at the Ron Haslam race school, and he is now running the new T30's.
Ron rates them highly, and if they are good enough for all his race school bikes, they will be fine for me!

Birdy

Reaction score
Dont find dunlops that bad to be honest , riding thru winter no probs , had loads worse , like my old xj 650. My local bike shop sold me a rear IRC (indian rubber company !) with the immortal words "your bottle will go before that tyre " Kin liar !! lol To be honest tho , ive got to be told about most things, i tend to ride around most problems and convince myself there is no problem !:eek: Bought a tyre off my mate on weekend , some Avon thing he never got to put on his GSX 1100 sprint bike before it detonated last year , 60 quid , new , bargain ! He also took bike for a spin , came back and played with rear suspension. Hes like that . I noticed .... nothing, but thanked him anyway .

pipski99

Reaction score
do you think the mt is bad on its tyres ?
I heard it said once in a review of an Aprilia RSV 1000 that due to the amount of torque the bike produces it wears its rear tyres out very quickly. Applying this theory to the MT and I suppose the lashings of torque we love from the engine could wear the rear tyre quicker than something a bit more docile like a Triumph street triple :p

I'm waiting for mine to wear enough to justify a set of Michelin Pilot Road 3 or 4. I had the PR2 on my FZ6 and loved them so the newer ones should rock my world.