What's done on 6000 mile service?

RipGroove

Reaction score
As above, bikes booked in for its 6000 mile service in a couple of weeks, just wondered what I'm actually getting for my £240 besides a stamp.

Also, what 'should' the cost be? I've been quoted £240 which seems high after a quick Google.

Sent from my iPhone 

Last edited:

chump

Reaction score
oil and filter. check and adjust chain. adjust clutch. adjust throttle free play. lube bits.

also allegedly sync throttle bodies, clean and gap plugs but I doubt that will get done.

Last edited:

chump

Reaction score
I got hit for £150 for the 600 mile service. Used to be free.... grumble mumble. I'll be doing my own from now on in.

RipGroove

Reaction score
Haha OK thanks, not so bad then, there anywhere official I can print that from so I can make sure it gets done.

Sent from my iPhone 

chump

Reaction score
your owners handbook? downloadable from the Yamaha website.

RipGroove

Reaction score
your owners handbook? downloadable from the Yamaha website.
My handbook isn't at my house currently, I'll have a look for a download.

Sent from my iPhone 

RipGroove

Reaction score
I can't actually navigate to that page atm as I'm on my phone and their website doesn't play well. But interesting while Googling it, it seems £120-180 seems like the going rate. Can anyone else comment what price they paid for this particular service?

Sent from my iPhone 

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Just a wee tip from an old fart, always try and time serving to be carried out around about the end of the first week in January. Why you may ask. Dealers are not wanting to lay off their staff. Seeing it is the mostly time of the year they will be scratching their balls with feck all to do a deal can be worked out. How do I know that, a dealer friend of mine told me that years ago.

Burg308

Reaction score
My friendly dealer relieved me of £146 to change my oil and filter,was fully synthetic, but it will be the last time.

Kinjane

Reaction score
Eventually a time will come when the amount spent on servicing will outweigh the value of the bike :eek:

RipGroove

Reaction score
Interestingly my two local Yamaha dealerships both have different takes on the 6000 mile service. Skellerns in Worcester do NOT balance the throttle bodies but Spa in Cheltenham do!

Skellerns charge £180 and Spa charge £240. I find it pretty odd that two Yamaha dealers would have different items listed for the same service?!

Sent from my iPhone 

chump

Reaction score
Absolutely. Sounds like Skellerns don't read the service schedules. Of course, the TB's may not need balancing.

RipGroove

Reaction score
Absolutely. Sounds like Skellerns don't read the service schedules. Of course, the TB's may not need balancing.
Yeah they may not but I asked them if they checked it on this service and they said no.

Sent from my iPhone 