What's the part number of the revised Cam Chain Tensioner?

RipGroove

Reaction score
I 'tried' to get my cam chain tensioner replaced a year ago when the bike was still under warranty (I have email proof that I brought it to their attention within the bikes warranty period) but the dealership said they couldn't hear it as my Akra was too loud (baffle was out) so they didn't even investigate it. Meanwhile the tensioner is still just as noisy today as it was when I asked them to look at it. I've now put the baffle back in so the tensioner rattle is now even more prominent but now the bike is out of warranty.

I have emailed them again stating that I brought the issue to their attention within warranty so I'd still like it sorted but I'm guessing they'll tell me to sod off as they don't seem that helpful so I'll probably have to source one myself so I need to know the best part number revision to get?

This is the very same dealership that when the oil light came on on the way home after its first service (600 mile) just told me to "buy some more oil and top if up"! So I don't hold much hope of them helping me out here.

Sent from my iPhone 

Last edited:

RipGroove

Reaction score
Also does anyone know if it's just the outer part that I need to change or do I need to take the engine cover off and change the internal parts also?

Sent from my iPhone 

stevecbr

Reaction score
its held on with two bolts, just remove the old one and fit the new one. It took my dealer about 15 minutes to replace.
After many requests mine was finally changed at 2 year, 12000 mile mark, just before warrenty ran out
It had been rattling on and off for last 7000 miles

RipGroove

Reaction score
I'm a month out of warranty now so I'll probably just have to order one and fit myself, I just want to make sure I end up getting the latest revision. Even easier then if it's just the tensioner part that needs doing, should only take 5 mins.

Sent from my iPhone 

LewFZ1

Reaction score
RipGroove, name and shame your dealer, that way you may save some other prospective 09 owner the grief you have had. Also a month out of warranty? ask the pricks do they not have any kind of good will in their locker, social media is a powerful tool and giving them a reminder about that may help. Glad you got the latest part number as I am having similar issues. My bike is still under extended warranty. The local Yamaha dealer were I live is servicing my bike this week and I have asked them to look into it for me. This is not the dealer that I got the bike from so we will see how I get on.

RipGroove

Reaction score
RipGroove, name and shame your dealer, that way you may save some other prospective 09 owner the grief you have had. Also a month out of warranty? ask the pricks do they not have any kind of good will in their locker, social media is a powerful tool and giving them a reminder about that may help. Glad you got the latest part number as I am having similar issues. My bike is still under extended warranty. The local Yamaha dealer were I live is servicing my bike this week and I have asked them to look into it for me. This is not the dealer that I got the bike from so we will see how I get on.
I've emailed them again today for a definitive answer as to whether they are going to do anything or not. If not I'll make a post with their name and my experience with them since I've had the bike.

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
Found this today... Looks like there is a v4 available... Funny how the problem doesnt exist... But 3 revisions..? Someone's telling porkies!

1RC-12210-04-00

RipGroove

Reaction score
Anyone know anywhere online I can just order one? I've not got time this week to go to a dealer and I could really do with one by the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone 

Kinjane

Reaction score
Some have just removed them by undoing 2 bolts and been lucky, others have not - it's all dependent on where the engine has come to rest because once the tension has been removed there is enough play for the cam chain to jump a tooth.

The side cover should be removed and a wedge placed between the rear section of the casework and the rear of the tension to hold it all in place, basically replacing the tensioner before the tensioner is removed.
At £120 for a replacement I'd be tempted to try the yamaha disapproved 6mm bolt option first where it's screwed in just enough to contact the rear of the adjuster to prevent it backing out after the adjuster has been rotated first to reduce the excess chain slack.

Neither MSP or Fowlers have the part in stock, Expected time of delivery is approx 5-8 business days dependent on collection or sent to home address.

cam chain tensioner minor changed (post #13)
How can you tell that the timing chain has jumped teeth? Please advise!!! - Page 2

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Had a service done on the bike today, I had asked the dealer to check out the Timing chain tensioner, I bought this bike in Spain last October, It was not new to me but had only done 875 kms from new (Nov 2013) bike. I repeatedly asked Yamaha dealer in Spain to look at the thing they even had the bike for two weeks at one stage. Long story short they did feck all , today I collect the bike( I now live in France) I have an extended Yamaha warranty on the bike. The dealer says he has requested Yamaha for permission to order and carryout a warranty claim for the tensioner. Absolutly made up.
Delighted with the service I received today.
Beat this if you can, I only got two keys with the bike, Master key and normal day to day key. I got a new chipped key, full service and suspension setup, €200.00 all in. Happy chappy I am, also as mentioned they are putting in a warranty claim for the CCT.:)

RipGroove

Reaction score
With all this talk of timing I've spoke to another dealer who are going to inspect it hopefully next Saturday and so far they haven't ruled out a warranty claim on it. Either way it needs to get done whether I pay or they pay.

Sent from my iPhone 