What's your other bike?

pipski99

Reaction score
Ok guys, while I was saving up and shopping around for a new bike I had test ridden a few bikes and got down to a short list before the MT-09 was released. If the MT had not been release when it was, or had not floated my boat when I test rode it then I would probably not have one right now.

The thing is I still find myself browsing at other bikes and I'm kind of toying with the idea of having a 2nd bike to park beside the MT in the garage.

To justify owning 2 bikes I think the 2nd one has to be different enough from the MT, and not a direct competitor, ie not another naked bike such as a Triumph street triple, Kawasaki Z800, Yamaha FZ8 or FZ1.

So here's a few examples to throw out there that I've been looking at over the last few days and weeks:

Aprilia RSV Mille / RSV factory (V twins not the newer V4s)
Kawasaki Z1000 SX tourer with luggage (pre MT shortlist)
Triumph Tiger 800 or 800xc with luggage (pre MT shortlist)
Triumph Explorer 1200 with luggage (pre MT shortlist)
Triumph Sprint ST1050 with luggage
KTM 690 SMC
Suzuki SV1000
Honda VFR 800
Kawasaki KLX 250
Yamaha WR250

And at the very outside edge of possibility, Kawasaki ZX10R, Yamaha R1 (either pre 2009 crossplane or with the crossplane big bang motor), or Suzuki GSXR1000 - these bikes are not particularly suited to my physical size / build and I don't really do the colour coordinated leather onesie usually worn for these kind of superbikes. Also I'm not a track day person and the massive top speed and ridiculous impracticality of these bikes on the roads, along with the astronomic insurance probably means they're just dream bikes for me.

Oh and just one last thing, I test rode a BMW R1200 GS Adventure (old air cooled model) and a BMW R1200 GS (new liquid cooled model) and thoroughly hated both of them. I generally can say I love riding motorcycles and the BMW GS is the only bike I've ever been glad to get off and hand the keys back. I think they are a definite Marmite bike (you either love them or hate them), and I didn't love them.

So what have you got? What would you consider? Or is the MT-09 all things to all men as far as you're concerned?

Stripy

Reaction score
Lets see if a TDM/Adventure bike is released.
Until then, my other bike is my Mountainbike ;)

Dzjiepie

Reaction score
I had 2 bikes for a long time. When I had to choose for a second one I would definitly go for my previous one.
FJR!!!!!!!!!!!

flydnb

Reaction score
just sold my wr 250r and regretting it to be honest, but still have my little dt 125 r smoker , had all sorts over the years mainly japs and one very special Spanish, im looking for a bultaco metralla gts 250 from the 70s at the moment.

KatanaAl

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere as my main bike, the MT09 is purely for fun and it tick's every box for that. Had the Super 10 from new, it's now 3.5 years old and has covered over 20,000 miles. Can't say they have been trouble free as I have had one or two problems along the way. Starting problems have been an issue. There are two of us in the group that ride together with Super 10's and we have both had this problem. Mine also had problems with a headlight block connector disconnecting itself and more seriously an oil leak from the clutch cover. All sorted under warranty, the dealer Ian Bell was brilliant as ever. The bike is however superb and makes a fantastic long haul machine. I'm off to Switzerland in June with the lads and it will be fantastic for this trip.

stevecbr

Reaction score
My 2nd bike is currently a Honda PCX scooter, which I changed from a Honda XR400. It is mainly a winter commuter, to keep the MT clean. The XR400 was a great idea, but totally impractable (no ignition, kick start only, no indicators, no indicators, no mirrors etc), which was dire as a commuter through town.
This summer will get a sports bike, R1, blade or CBR6. I usually use ebike insurance, and adding a 2nd bike only costs a few quid more. 2 years ago I had an R1, ZX636 and DRZ400 on a multibike policy, cost under £150 for all of them.

pipski99

Reaction score
Mine is a GSR-750

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a nice looking bike, but rightly or wrongly I think that's not different enough from the MT, as I said earlier I would have to have something different enough from the MT to justify a 2nd bike.

I did go this morning and look at a nicely painted up and modified 2002 Aprilia RSV. Tempting but need a test ride first as never ridden one and only ever ridden one other V-twin which was a 2003 Honda Firestorm and I didn't really like that.

This is the one I looked at.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nice. It's loads different as it's a 4cylinder not a triple so different ride all together. Just got rid of this....

pipski99

Reaction score
It might have 4 cylinders instead of 3 but the overall design / style of the bike is too similar.

I would class the GSR as a naked street bike just like the Z800, street triple, fz8, Z1000, FZ1N, FZ6N, Honda CB etc...

Other than engine capacity and 1 cylinder difference I couldn't stand in the garage looking at a GSR and an MT and be happy that I've got 2 bikes which are intended for different purposes. They're not different enough for me.

I'd rather have the GSXR plus an MT as they're different.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Fair enuf. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The GSR is going soon but I don't knw wot to replace it with yet??

KatanaAl

Reaction score
I'm hoping that they are going to make an adventure styled bike and put the MT09 engine in it. There have been rumours as a replacement for the TDM.

Birdy

Reaction score
Cant really justify 2 bikes to the boss, but would love an old trail bike again , xl ,xr or another dr350 .Had a few trailies over the years, great in winter and loads of mountain trails down here .Currently working on my mate , who has an old honda 250rs decomposing in his garage,had 4 of them , fab little bikes for blatting about on .

flydnb

Reaction score
interesting fact I was at my local dealers and he pointed out to holes in the top of the front of the frame on each side he says they are for a fairing mount, have a look at yours guys.

trevorleigh

Reaction score
My second bike is an FZ1S Fazer model, it is different enough, and I still plan on using it for my European tours, although I will use the MT for Wales/Scotland etc. To have 2 awesome bike I feel very lucky, The MT is such great fun, but it cannot quite match the Fazer for sheer top end rush. (OK the Fazer is tuned quite a bit too, 151bhp at the back wheel!) see pics below one in sport mode, one in touring mode.
Fazer Wales.jpg Fazer Home.jpg

crotchrocket

Reaction score
This is my VN800 Drifter 'War Bastard' VERY different to the MT-09, and i LOVE IT :)

Birdy

Reaction score
Cool looking bike Mr. crotch ! A few years ago i bought 4 Can Am bombardiers, ex army . Matt green . jerry can and gun holders ! 250 two strokes , went like stink but vibrated like something from an Ann Summers catalogue ! Trev , next time you do a european tour , can i stay in the 4 berth tent on the back of the fazer ?:)