Wheeeeeeeelies

emptyoh9

Reaction score
Erm... so yeh. them things.

Just wondered, a few things... What's people preferred method of getting 'it' up? Do you do 'em or do you think anyone that does it is a knob who deserves to fall off/banned? (time and a place? or just all the time? Are you a clutch it up guy or power? ever had a run in with the law whilst doing a mile long minger?Best bike for 'em? i could go on....and i will.

Ok, so i'll tell you where i stand (if you're still reading :p) I did a wheelie school a few weeks ago and had a real good time, it was supposed to get it out of my system because i always wanted to try it but was worried about smashing my bike/crashing/getting banned etc.

HOWEVER it's so fu*king addictive i can't stop trying it :roll eyes:

At the school they showed us a technique kind of like a throttle chop method, which i have stopped using in favour of clutch ups. Of course any theorical attempts that i have made/mentioned have always been on closed roads or private property....:roll eyes:

;) ride safe

the voices

Reaction score
its clever and its big, i love stand up wheelies (standing on the seat) as normal ones get boring, going to get my first oil change out of the way before any proper ones.

Last edited:

flydnb

Reaction score
I love wheelies been doing them on motorbikes since I was seven, I learnt by falling off when I was a kid, wheelies are all about getting to know the balance point of the bike and you can either do clutch ups or power ups, on a moto x bike I can do a first gear wheelie power up and then balance point with one hand, when we were teenagers going around on enduro bikes I was the wheelie king I could do them as long as I wanted, its a bit more difficult with the mt as you are suddenly going 70+ mph on a public road one one wheel but on a track it would be ok, I have wheelied all my bikes and always will , I have mates that cant do one and I let them know that I am a better rider than them , I think wheelies should be part of the test no wheelie no licence lol, I think for me riding a bike is about the excitement and speed etc , if I had to just bimble along I would just take the car as I don't see the point in a bike to just cruise around and god forbid would I get a cruiser and pretend im an American.

emptyoh9

Reaction score
Cheers guys, i haven't got to balance point yet, still wussing out if it gets higher than a foot off the deck, but hey practice make perfect eh? ;) Cutch ups in 1st are a bit easier but they come up quick...i'm a bit hit and miss in second...

flydnb

Reaction score
On the mt try b mode it still wheelies easy and its more progessive .

the voices

Reaction score
Cheers guys, i haven't got to balance point yet, still wussing out if it gets higher than a foot off the deck, but hey practice make perfect eh? ;) Cutch ups in 1st are a bit easier but they come up quick...i'm a bit hit and miss in second...
on a serious note, i was known to the kings lynn police for my on bike riding and was very lucky that the motorcyclist that got me was a copper who had seen it all, and advised me to go on the empty back roads and do that, the same copper came to the hospital one day to see how i was after a mishap whilst trying to get my elbow down, hence i did get my elbow down followed by my head arms and legs, i wont tell you how or why but book into the wheelie school again and learn the safe way.

Last edited:

emptyoh9

Reaction score
on a serious note, i was known to the kings lynn police for my on bike riding and was very lucky that the motorcyclist that got me was a copper who had seen it all, and advised me to go on the empty back roads and do that, the same copper came to the hospital one day to see how i was after a mishap whilst trying to get my elbow down, hence i did get my elbow down followed by my head arms and legs,
Ouch, glad your ok mate. I get your point though i appreciate its risky and obviously illegal, i've only done it on empty back roads (nowhere near other people) That's why i thought its an interesting subject it's a fine line between advanced bike control and going too far... it is bloody fun though!

Birdy

Reaction score
A few years back , while stopped at a junction , a car tried to cut me up . I was riding a KLR 600 . I gave him a mouthful , kicked his car and wheelied off into the sunset like Steve MQueen ! Stopped half a mile up the road, to get some ciggies. As i left the shop i was grabbed, arm bent behind my back without a by your leave or your under arrest ! A bit of a scrap ensued before i was ..errr....subdued by 3 burly officers of the law. Unmarked car!! my how we laughed ! Turned out they were looking for some youth racing about on a KX motorcross bike , and saw my big green kwack , put 2 and 2 together , got 5 and nabbed me ! I got off with a warning about the wheelie and no tax , twisted shirts and bloody noses !!! Ahh the good old days.......

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
Back in 1986 i was working in a shipping company, doing bank & port police matters on a Honda MTX200R.
I was doing wheelies all the time, everywhere.. when the bike has new NGK spark plug i could clutching it on 6th....
Using rear brake i could change from 1st till 6th and reverse back till 2nd gear..
Allthough i'd spend one night in a dirty cell of traffic police station and the next day i get 45 days in prison (payed per day) bacause a traffic police biker had hunting me in an avenue while i was on my rear wheel...
The worst thing was that i had to call my father to call at the company i was working and tell there that i was sudenly ill........

Today i believe that whellied a bike is like learning how to stand on a bicycle or swimming.. Ones you learn it, you never forget how to do it.

stevecbr

Reaction score
Never felt confident enough to do them properly, occasionally get the front hovering when pulling away from lights.
Wheelie school would be a good idea for someone like me, as they do look cool, and my kids would like me to do them!

emptyoh9

Reaction score
Never felt confident enough to do them properly, occasionally get the front hovering when pulling away from lights.
Wheelie school would be a good idea for someone like me, as they do look cool, and my kids would like me to do them!
I really enjoyed the wheelie school bud, highly recommended, i was the same as you never had the confidence/balls to really try it out on my bike, but with the schools bikes and the safety cut out sticks on the back of 'em, it meant i could have a go in a controlled environment-ish. It's pricey but if you have the itch you got to scratch it even if you never do them again (but you will trust me). You'd think i was on commission shhhesh! take the kids down with you, they'd love it!

Kinjane

Reaction score
Learning to overtake people whilst up on the back wheel can't be good for the other drivers moral. :cool: