Wheel Bearings

MartinB

Reaction score
Hi All,
During my detailing and general get ready for winter service I have come across an issue which I have experienced before.

Examination of the rear wheel spacers I noticed that the seals had started to create a groove in the spacer, This occurs when road dirt and grime gets into the seal.
Yes I use a jet wash, which I know is probably half the problem I might add I have experienced this on my last three bikes, Z1000SX, GTR1400, and now the MT09.

My solution is basically very simply, By adding two plastic discs over the top of the seals it adds another layer of protection.

Upon removal of the wheel bearing oil seal, I could see evidence of water ingress.

I will try to post dimensioned drawings of the seals and my covers

Chain side is an easy fix, as shown above. Opposite is a bit more complex especially if you have ABS.

I will look at the front wheel now to see if they are OK,

These discs are free to float on the bearing spacers and cover the seal but do not fit tightly and there is plenty of clearance so they do not rub, and if they do get stuck they are only plastic so would just crack and fall off.

Watch this space,

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Martin I assume the groove you are referring to is the one left of the bearing? Are you replacing the bearings or just winterizing the bike? On one of my posts TT has advised I look at the chain adjusting blocks, How are yours?
Lew

MartinB

Reaction score
Steve and Lew
I don't believe so, I had the same issue on myZ1000SX, and the GTR1400 which ended in complete bearing failure at around 17000 miles
Lew the groove is on the bearing loose spacer, The first picture.

Will let you know how it goes

Martin