which helmet cam should i buy

kriss

Reaction score
hopefully some-one will give me the advise im after as im sick of looking and havnt a clue but basically im after a good helmet camera so any advise please ? many thanks in advance.

fizzy

Reaction score
Gopro works well for me,good quality and plenty of accessories available

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
hopefully some-one will give me the advise im after as im sick of looking and havnt a clue but basically im after a good helmet camera so any advise please ? many thanks in advance.
what do you want to use it for ?
will you need an external mic ? the built in ones are shite (mostly) and suffer from wind noise
will you be using it for long sessions ? more than a couple of hours
will you be using it in the rain ? some need a waterproof case
do you want fancy features like gps tagging, time laps, photo burst ?

I use a Drift Ghost S because it has everything I want, I use an external mic, I like the remote control with the LED indicators and carry loads of batteries cos I'm usually out 12+ hours during the summer
if I was after a cam for just short runs and wasn't fussed whether or not it had external mic I'd look at either the...

Drift Stealth 2
Sony HDR AS100V or similar model
Garmin Virb (mate has one and thinks it's the dogs danglies)

all those are similar shape and size but...
Drift has the most versatile mounting system and rotating lens
Sony has image stabalisation
Garmin has some good built in in video data features, will show speed, gps position, G force and other info on the footage

there are many many options out there, good luck :D

BTW, I don't include the GoPro as I don't like the size and shape, great as a chest or bike mounted cam but looks stupid on a helmet (IMHO)

Last edited:

boro

Reaction score
-1 on the gopro although they have great picture quality the lens on the long flat profile is a PITB and creates a lot of drag if mounted on the helmet. Next time I'll go for a slimmer profile camera.

kriss

Reaction score
I should of said but cam will be used for maybe 2 to 3 hours at a time but would be good if batteries could be changed if I wanted longer and use it wet sometimes and all I want it for is straight shooting video while out on rides. im really up to much about these things being 62 used to button on button off sort of thing so don't want to much to rack what brains ive got left.i did look at the contour roam range but would need an external mic fitted as I don't want wind noise. the other 2 I looked at were the gopro range and the ghost drift s so I think its going to be one of these 3. the only thing that's I don't like about the gopro is I think it would look out of place stuck on a helmet. if I could find somewhere that could fit an external mic on the contour roam id go for one of these but think I need to do more homework and not just dive in and regret later. many thanks for all your help and advise guys, .

kriss

Reaction score
Check out this site Techmoan - Techmoan I am trolling through it when bored seems to be some good advice there. From a budget point of view Git 1 gets a decent review and about £75.00
just checked out the git1 and does look pretty good with external mic aswell, cheers mate that could be wht im looking for

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
just checked out the git1 and does look pretty good with external mic aswell, cheers mate that could be wht im looking for
that looks like a Gopro clone, plenty of them about, even Aldi or Lidl were selling one not long ago for around £30 I think ?

kriss

Reaction score
all sorted now guys and bought an svc 400 complete kit inc waterproof case mounts etc 46 quid delivered. I need to find a good external mic now so again any advise would be gratefull for and would like to say a huge thanks to all who gave advise on which cam to buy so thanks everyone.