wierd sound/feel when using back break

MadGelo

Reaction score
Hello,

Every time I start using back break after riding a while, I hear like a snapping sound and feel as if it was stuck a little and came lose.

any one know anything?

thank you

Mtpete

Reaction score
Hello,

Every time I start using back break after riding a while, I hear like a snapping sound and feel as if it was stuck a little and came lose.

any one know anything?

thank you
Have you recently removed your rear tyre? If so make sure the rear calliper is slotted in to the grove on the inside of the swing arm, otherwise it can rotate then when u brake it snaps against the stop.

MadGelo

Reaction score
Thank you for the swift replies

Havnt had my rear tire removed since iv got the bike.
Not sure what grove you mean, nothing seem to move, least by hand.

Looked at rear disc, looks fine from here

I gues Ill have to put the bike on rearwheel stand and see if i can reproduce the issue, while running .

Mtpete

Reaction score
Thank you for the swift replies

Havnt had my rear tire removed since iv got the bike.
Not sure what grove you mean, nothing seem to move, least by hand.

Looked at rear disc, looks fine from here

I gues Ill have to put the bike on rearwheel stand and see if i can reproduce the issue, while running .
The grove that I'm talking about is two rectangles on the inside of the swing arm that the brake calliper slides into to stop it moving, it can be hard to see you have to get up real close and you will see.

My Toy

Reaction score
I'd guess it's the pads moving slightly in the calliper. I get a knock on the front if I have used the brake to stop the bike whilst wheeling it backwards causing the pads to go in the opposite direction against the normal direction of movement if that makes sense. Then when I put the brake on going forwards I get the knock as the pads settle back to the position they are normally in when braking. The same can apply to the rear brake if for example you use the brake to hold the bike on a hill before setting off. A small amount of clearance between the pads and the calliper is necessary so that the pads can move ever so slightly sideways when the brake is applied and released.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

billygatso

Reaction score
I think I would remove the pads, give the calliper a clean and reassemble with a little copperslip on the pins. Could just be a build up of brake dust and crud stopping the calliper operating smoothly.

MadGelo

Reaction score
Thanks, gonna take a look at it:)

just to add, it sounds and feels like a string gets stuck and released....or something arg..gonna take apart and see if it helps:)