WINTER SALT INFO

alan_manic

Reaction score
Sorry for being off topic. I live in North of Scotland and my MT09 has been in the garage since the end of October. Dying to get out for a ride but concerned about the corrosive salt on the roads. How's your MT09 coping with all the winter muck?

Locksmith

Reaction score
Itching to ride mine today as the suns out but don't fancy giving it a full wash down after :(

If I did It'll probably be covered in fur next time I look !

flipper

Reaction score
Mine is coping very well by hiding in the dry warm garage. No way is it coming out til the weather is warmer and a good downpour has washed the salt away.

Last edited:

flydnb

Reaction score
I have managed to ride every month since ive had it although 2 rides in December and one in January , in the summer I was on it all the time.

Kinjane

Reaction score
I recently threw a bucket of water at the front of the engine where it's most noticeable and it appears to be holding up rather well.
The black plastic looks worse because of grey deposit discolouration but I haven't bothered cleaning the bike because I think it'll probably suffer more from being put away clean and wet than salty but dry.
The cold is definitely limiting my mileage - roughly just 650 so far this year.

Last edited:

Locksmith

Reaction score
We're obviously not real rufty tufty bikers are we? :)

Kinjane

Reaction score
Nope, 'cause the rufty tufty lot are still trying drag their bikes out of the snowdrifts at this weekends Dragon Rally :rolleyes:

flipper

Reaction score
sod that for a laugh.

I don't remember the last time I rode the bike, it was so long ago.

must commute on it this year.

lee1980

Reaction score
lol I got mine beginning of January rode it to work nearly every day, so far looks good worse part is front of engine headers etc, better since got fender extender I have an arrow system so sure the pipes will clean up well for summer dont want polished either just clean. First wash after I doused it with ACF 50 stuff smokes alot at first but seems to do the job of dissolving salt and protecting against corrosion/tarnishing.
Im hoping it still looks as good once it warms up.

If I had choice I would probably put mine away over winter but working in city centre the bike rules for commuting even when its below zero!!

alan_manic

Reaction score
20150208_151537_resized.jpg

The bikes now had a good clean, coated in ACF-50 and back in the garage. Will wait for better weather now I got it out of my system.

marksim

Reaction score
Fair play mate and glad you enjoyed BUT ?
Hate cleaning bikes LOL

mirdif64

Reaction score
Alan,
I'm in the town centre. Had the bike just over a year and it's matt grey.
Not as brave as you. Mine is still in the garage at the moment.
Cheers,

Steve.
Hi, it wasn't me. I stay in Culloden, where abouts are you? How long you had the MT09?..... and, final question, what colour you get?

lee1980

Reaction score
Currently here in Bristol dry but salt still all over roads, we need a good down pour to wash it away.

Not quite so cold now ride in this morning was ace, the cold crisp air sure seems to me to make bikes go even better, in standard mode still braking it in keeping under 6k it really flies, more so than even more powerful bikes I had in past. Must be the torque triple and light weight!