Wiring loom connectors MT compared to FZ 09

matt.b

Reaction score
I'm going to buy an integrated tail light from a company in the USA, it's obviously advertised for the FZ-09.

It is designed to plug directly in to the factory lighting loom for the rear tail light, brake and indicator.

It also comes with a flasher relay that should plug in to the loom.

My question is can anyone say for definite if the plugs on the loom of the FZ-09 are the same as the MT-09. Only I wouldn't be surprised if for some reason Yamaha made everything different for those of us in Europe.

Incidentally it's made by a company called CustomLED I anyone has any experience with the specific light?

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm going to buy an integrated tail light from a company in the USA, it's obviously advertised for the FZ-09.

It is designed to plug directly in to the factory lighting loom for the rear tail light, brake and indicator.

My question is can anyone say for definite if the plugs on the loom of the FZ-09 are the same as the MT-09. Only I wouldn't be surprised if for some reason Yamaha made everything different for those of us in Europe.

Incidentally it's made by a company called CustomLED I anyone has any experience with the specific light?
Best person to ask is MT account as he has both the MT and FZ...

M

MT account

i could answer that but no one ever reads what i write anyway..........lets talk about remaps............anyone know for a good remap cos i cant ride a bike with fuel injection....................

.................oops, off topic. where the topic police tonight?

M

MT account

The Topic police are out arresting hazlenuts, nougat and caramel.
hahhhaaa, good 1. do they still make them? i bought 3 caramacs for £1.20 today..........gonna have to go back n buy the bloody box.

Mtpete

Reaction score

I bought a integrated tail light for my MT from a company in the USA called lupus lights, they were very good and the light is perfect. The connections are exactly the same just plug and play, I did have to solder on the oem indicator plugs but that was not because there was a. Difference between the MT and FZ the guy told me I would have to use my own. Hope this helps.

M

MT account

I bought a integrated tail light for my MT from a company in the USA called lupus lights, they were very good and the light is perfect. The connections are exactly the same just plug and play, I did have to solder on the oem indicator plugs but that was not because there was a. Difference between the MT and FZ the guy told me I would have to use my own. Hope this helps.
theyre promoting them on here actually.....in the FZ section. i couldnt be arsed to pay more in postage than the light cost. i had a helmet sent over from the states for £5.65 so cant see the postage value in $60???

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
hahhhaaa, good 1. do they still make them? i bought 3 caramacs for £1.20 today..........gonna have to go back n buy the bloody box.
Yes they do...topics are my favourite chocy bars...

When I was posted in Northern Ireland that's all I ate lol...

Luckily my job kept me fit (and skinny)!...

Mtpete

Reaction score
theyre promoting them on here actually.....in the FZ section. i couldnt be arsed to pay more in postage than the light cost. i had a helmet sent over from the states for £5.65 so cant see the postage value in $60???
Yeah the postage is a bit steep, but the product is first class quality.

RipGroove

Reaction score
Are these integrated tail lates MOT friendly over here?

M

MT account

Are these integrated tail lates MOT friendly over here?
there is a width requirement, cant remember exactly what it is. they are right on the centreline of the bike which isnt the best idea in the dark but its a smart looking unit in operation

MT-Pete

Reaction score

I don't know the CustomLED one, but I got one from Lupus in the states. The tail light/brake light connection is the same on MT/FZ but the indicator connections are different. I also have fitted the Yam tail tidy so used the wiring connectors from that to modify the new indicator wiring so it just plugs into the bike loom.

Let me know if you want any more info.

matt.b

Reaction score
Interesting, was gonna cut the loom and use posi-taps or similar to re join the wires.

Was it fairly easy to re wire the oem plugs?

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know the CustomLED one, but I got one from Lupus in the states. The tail light/brake light connection is the same on MT/FZ but the indicator connections are different. I also have fitted the Yam tail tidy so used the wiring connectors from that to modify the new indicator wiring so it just plugs into the bike loom.

Let me know if you want any more info.
Good post...
Thanks Pete.

MT-Pete

Reaction score
Interesting, was gonna cut the loom and use posi-taps or similar to re join the wires.

Was it fairly easy to re wire the oem plugs?
Yup, you could use the connectors off your (now redundant) indicators. Cut the connector you don't want off the new tail light & cut the wiring a couple of inches from the connector on the indicators & solder it on to your new tail light.

matt.b

Reaction score
Cool that's the plan then, I'll update with some photos when I get one ordered

MT-Pete

Reaction score
I'm not quite sure as I haven't seen them in "action" so to speak...I think they "flash" to quick for UK legislation but please don't quote me on that...:rolleyes:
New relay sort's that - so long as you fit LED indicators to the front as well, otherwise you need those poxy resistors... :)

matt.b

Reaction score
The CustomLED guys told me that with their replacement relay and the led rear lights it will work fine even without LED's on the front