Wonder why Yamaha has not released a revised ECU map?

RipGroove

Reaction score
As above, it's painfully obvious that the MT/FZ-09 has some serious problem with fueling, obviously there are a lot of people trying to remedy this or work around it via various methods (at their own expense), IE: Power Commander, Dyno tuning, fuel controllers, throttle mods, ECU flashes etc. So as there is such an obvious issue it begs the question as to why Yamaha haven't done anything about it? Surely a simple warranty recall to go in and have a revised map flashed would pretty straightforward and make a lot of people very happy.

Schultzy

Reaction score
I assume some of it has to do with passing emmisions regulations?

sent from my Galaxy S5 via Tapatalk

RipGroove

Reaction score

I'm not talking power mods here, just smoothing out the crappy fueling. I can't see how mapping out the snatchy throttle response and over excitable engine breaking fuel cutoff would bugger up emissions. But what it can and does do is upset the bike during cornering while rolling on the throttle. The rear wheel is supposed to be loaded throughout the turn to give the rear tyre the right amount of grip, and this only happens if you are constantly applying throttle throughout the turn (thanks Keith Code Twist of the Wrist II: Amazon.co.uk: DVD & Blu-ray ). If you have a jerky throttle roll on you can easily unload the grip from the rear of the bike to the front (not good at all), which can causes crashes. Smooth roll off and roll on through a turn is the only thing that controls which tyre gets the right amount of grip. and smooth roll off and roll on is like hens teeth on the MT09, thus IMO making it dangerous in some situations.

Last edited:

Schultzy

Reaction score
Decel fuelling is usually always crap to pass emissions - at least in australia - especially injector cut offs/on.

But yeah, I think many people would agree its far from ideal.

Spot

Reaction score

Like wot he said.
I believe there's a huge dip in fueling on the overrun between 3,000 & 6,000 rpm specifically to get it through emissions tests and that has a lot to do with the snatchiness.
Why it's so bad on the MT-09 and not as noticeable on other manufacturers bikes is down to the amount of budget they want to spend on getting it right.
Like in a lot of business these days there's probably some knob manager at Yamaha who thinks he's Alan Sugar, with a tight budget and even tighter timescale to produce the fuel map, so you end up with something that's a bit shite.

M

MT account

i read the fuel is shut off completely above 4600rpm on decell. that would cut emmissions by shedloads on a type approval test but make the bike well aggressive on engine braking.....which i find it does. im expecting a lot of tailslides when i get to ride it on glassy road surfaces.

RipGroove

Reaction score
I stand corrected then, stupid emissions lol

Sent from outer space