xena disc lock.

anthony1979

Reaction score
I am waiting for my MT09 to be delivered and was looking at a good alarmed disc lock to buy. Does anyone have the Xena XX10 or the XX14?. I was wondering which size to get so it is a good fit.

Spot

Reaction score
I have never, ever bothered with disc locks, chains or any sort of anti theft protection and have never had a bike nicked (Actually I had one nicked, i'd owned it about 40 mins and it was still strapped to the back of a trailer, but that's a story to be told over a few beers) .
I have however seen plenty of mates with knackered calipers and/or fallen off due to forgetting their locks and electrical woes due to the alarm.
Are they worth the grief?

crotchrocket

Reaction score
I use an oxford boss disc lock everywhere, i just carry it in my rucksack on journeys. Its insurance approved which reduces my policy. In London, i wouldn't leave my bike unlocked. Not just for theft, but if some drunk idiot thinks my bike would look better in the middle of the road, its gonna make life difficult :) I also have a thick chain and lock at home, on a railing. So at night the bike has a chain and disc lock and at work, just the disc lock. Personally it gives me piece of mind, I've tried my best. I have a fluorescent lanyard attached to the disc lock and then wrapped around eh handlebar grip so you don't forget its on. Forgot a disc lock once many years ago and broke a calliper driving off lol.

Regarding the alarm disc lock. I read a few reviews on amazon. They seam 'ok' but a little gimmicky and not lasting more than a year. For the money i'd get a thatcham approved one without the alarm.

anthony1979

Reaction score
Unfortunately, bike theft is a big problem here in South Korea, and you can't insure a motorcycle for theft over here. So you have to keep your bikes very secure. I have always used a disc lock but I heard the Xena is a really good quality lock and the 115 decibel alarm on it is really good. Has anyone got one of these locks on here? The MT09 model I will be getting has ABS and an immobiliser but I just want to take some extra security precautions.

Birdy

Reaction score
Wow ! cant insure the bike for theft ! Must be some nervous bikers out there anthony ! I remember a test in an old bike mag , they tried to nick chained up bikes. If the chain is on the floor a good [!!!!!] thief could break even the best in under 2 minutes with a scaffold pole !! If off the floor , almost impossible without cutting gear. They didnt show how to break the chain for obvious reasons! Keep those chains up !!

Sandgroper-WA

Reaction score
Pretty sure the Xena XX6 is what your are after. This is my old one from my last bike, I was looking to change it but I'm pretty sure the pin's in the larger ones will not fit in the holes on the disk brakes.

anthony1979

Reaction score
Thanks guys.. After some more thought, I think I might look into an alarm system. Can anyone recommend a good system?

pipski99

Reaction score
Sorry I've been so slow on this but I didn't realize my disc lock is a Xena but I just noticed now.

I don't know which model it is as it doesn't say on it anywhere but it has the "X" logo and it says Xena on the keys. The sticker on it says it has a 14mm locking pin and this fits the MT-09 no problem. I also used it on my previous FZ6. I have the say the siren alarm part of it is faulty so I have removed the batteries for that so it does not work at all.

Here are pictures:
disclock1.jpg
disclock2.jpg
disclock3.jpg

anthony1979

Reaction score
Thanks Pipski99 ! I appreciate the help. I'm gonna now think about maybe just a standard disc lock and an alarm system. I have read mixed things about the alarms on the xena locks, but I heard they are pretty much bomb proof..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

psychoattractor

Reaction score
I've had a few alarm disc locks, they always seems to die after a while, except for the oxford boss alarm padlock, which is a bit heavy so it's used on my side gate instead! As the MT09 has YISS on it already, I fitted a tech7 alarm from mandp, under £20, easy to fit, very loud, and has movement sensor and current sensor...

Sent from Scott's iPhone using Tapatalk

mirdif64

Reaction score
Stick a good quality padlock through the rear sprocket at the same time as you fit the disc lock.