Compared to the FZ8, here's what sets the FZ-09 apart from the old FZ8:

A shorter wheelbase, less trail.

Lighter wheels by 0.85 pounds that help to reduce weight, improve
acceleration, braking ride, handling

A Whopping 53 pounds less wet weight, 414 pounds wet weight

Cheaper to purchase

It has more Horserpower & Torque:

• The FZ-09′sthree-cylinder engine makes
  • 113bhp at 10,000rpm & 63lb-ft of torque at 8,500rpm. Compared to the FZ8 that made 105bhp at 10,000rpm and just 60lb-ft of torque at 8,000rpm.

Handlebar Grip: 53mm taller 40mm back

Footrest: 26mm lower, 2mm back

Slimmer between the legs, spacious, more of an upright riding position

51-degrees of lean

JSP

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lighter and more power than FZ8... I hope they have a demo day or something around me. Really want to ride this baby.

BDazzler

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused by the motard styling, but I'm OK with it. I also expected peak torque at a lower RPM with a triple. I've never ridden a triple, so I'm very anxious to ride one. I hope they push for test rides on the FZ-09 like they are with the Bolt right now. It is something different that can set Yamaha apart from the other Japanese bike makers. I'm very curious about the larger displacement triple that hasn't hit as of yet and what will happen to the R1/R6 and the rest of the FZ line. CP4 in Gen III FZ1?

Rabbitman109

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, United States
I agree Dazzler, I am curious what they will do with the other bikes.

I think they will definitely push demos. They are trying to make a move to be top dog here, and I think they are using the Bolt for their cruiser line, and the FZ-09 from the sport bike line. I assume that is why the FZ-09 is priced so aggressively.

Attachments

JSP

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Really excited to see if they throw this in the R6/R1! Super sport 3 cylinder... yum.

Brock Kickass

Reaction score
Really interested in riding one. With more power than the FZ8 and a significant weight reduction, the acceleration shouldn't be far off an FZ1, and probably a bit more nimble in the more technical stuff. I want to see how it responds to high speed sweepers. My FZ1 feels like it was made for them, and I am interested to see how a much lighter sport tourer will behave. The styling has my attention, too. I am curious to hop on one and see if it feels as "dirt bike" as it looks. Lots of people are seeing this as a replacement for the FZ8 with lighter weight and more power in a similar displacement, but I think it's going to be more of a complete departure from the current FZ line in a lot of ways.