Yamaha MT-09 12V DC Outlet

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
Has anyone successfully used this for a TomTom or iPhone 5...

Was thinking of getting one, there is a thread started but I couldn't see any answer.....

Any input greatly appreciated....

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Was thinking of getting one, there is a thread started but I couldn't see any answer.....

Chipfatbob can answer this one I do believe...

MadGelo

Reaction score
have one, doesnt deliver enough juice to keep my Galaxy note 3 with GPS & WIFI on at even battery level, still loosing energy.

Last edited:

MartinB

Reaction score

Connected my Tom Tom via this plug, so far so good, Will now monitor it closely however. Will let you know if anything untoward happens.

Chipfatbob

Reaction score
Hi Smurf.

Had mine installed before delivery. Works extremely well with iPhone 5s, but haven't tested it with GPS (I use Navfree on the iPhone).

Very important to ensure you are using a charger/adapter with a minimum 2.1 Amp rating, otherwise you'll have charging issues. I got this one from Amazon and its brilliant Griffin PowerJolt 2.1 Amp In-Car Charger with Apple: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

flydnb

Reaction score
yeah its not a problem with the dc outlet its that a lot of people don't use adapters with enough throughput , I had same probs with charger in my car with my galaxy note and went to the Samsung shop and got a proper charger and no probs since and charges nice and quick.

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
Hi Smurf.

Had mine installed before delivery. Works extremely well with iPhone 5s, but haven't tested it with GPS (I use Navfree on the iPhone).

Very important to ensure you are using a charger/adapter with a minimum 2.1 Amp rating, otherwise you'll have charging issues. I got this one from Amazon and its brilliant Griffin PowerJolt 2.1 Amp In-Car Charger with Apple: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
Thanks for everyone's response, I already have a Belkin adapter for the iPhone 5s, which I can use, I know for sure that it's output is fine.. Think I'll get one fitted when bike goes in for light recall mod.

Just took a look at the power jolt.... Looks good, bonus with curly cord...

I have several nav apps on phone, so spoilt for choice.... Suppose I'll choose the one that takes the longest route and takes me through the twisties.... Lol

Last edited:

sigtrm

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's response, I already have a Belkin adapter for the iPhone 5s, which I can use, I know for sure that it's output is fine.. Think I'll get one fitted when bike goes in for light recall mod.

Just took a look at the power jolt.... Looks good, bonus with curly cord...

I have several nav apps on phone, so spoilt for choice.... Suppose I'll choose the one that takes the longest route and takes me through the twisties.... Lol
FYI: Mt09 aux has 2A fuse.

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
Just installed yam 12v DC outlet, tested on iPhone 5s with a Belkin USB adapter and std lightening cable.... Works a treat, also slapped my TomTom XL in too, that works fine too! Result!.... Cradle on order.....

sidestreetrick

Reaction score
Not enough power

Yamaha rate the DC socket at 2amps Max.
Only way to charge at higher rate is to directly wire a socket directly from the battery.
Trouble is alternator output is only just enough to run the bike. Coupled with such a small battery you're asking for trouble is. Flat battery if you try and take much more power out.
Only ever charge items with engine running.
Don't know if uprated alternators from a different model may fit.

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
Yamaha rate the DC socket at 2amps Max.
Only way to charge at higher rate is to directly wire a socket directly from the battery.
Trouble is alternator output is only just enough to run the bike. Coupled with such a small battery you're asking for trouble is. Flat battery if you try and take much more power out.
Only ever charge items with engine running.
Don't know if uprated alternators from a different model may fit.
Cheers, My TomTom spec is 1.2, so that should be ok.... Will only be using when really necessary (when lost)... The DC fitted is the genuine yam one, which connects directly to the battery...so nothing will be left in to drain it..... Bikes garaged with power available...