The tyre thread .

sigtrm

Reaction score
Have almost done 4000 miles on my S20s and they're still in good condition. I'm not pushing it hard and not doing wheelies so maybe that's the reason. The thread is still deep but I've noticed that the tyre is starting to look "cracked" in places. Not having owned bikes for long not sure if that counts as wear :)

Can take a pic tomorrow if needed.
It is very bad sign, should not happen, in new tires.

Spot

Reaction score
Can't wait any longer. Done over 3,000 miles on my original Dunlops and they're getting a bit scarey now.
I'm following the herd and am booked in to get Pilot Road 4's next Thursday (purely coz they're supposed to be best in the wet and summer is over).
Would still like like a review of the Pirelli's "FlyDnB" once you finish your Cliff Richard memoirs :)

flydnb

Reaction score
Can't wait any longer. Done over 3,000 miles on my original Dunlops and they're getting a bit scarey now.
I'm following the herd and am booked in to get Pilot Road 4's next Thursday (purely coz they're supposed to be best in the wet and summer is over).
Would still like like a review of the Pirelli's "FlyDnB" once you finish your Cliff Richard memoirs :)
I will review mate don't worry just been busy and weather has been shit whemn im free, but next week looks good so il be sticking a few hundred miles on them and giving the verdict.

flydnb

Reaction score
ok been out today not far but on mixed roads etc, well the Pirellis seem very good indeed, much more stable on fast corners than the dunfolps also not so much or a step when leaning it over its a nice and smooth lean with no sudden drop just a nice progressive movement, grip wise seem brilliant although I did get a little slide on coming out of a corner and gassing it but there still scrubbing in and I did nail it and it wasn't scary , I will update after I have properly scrubbed them in cont..................................

flydnb

Reaction score
ok more of an update on the Pirellis, they are brilliant for this bike , I gave them a good workout today, totally stable at high speed I was on long fast bends and very composed, on twisty a roads excellent and I think they have improved the handling of the bike even to the point of less bouncing about on bumpy curves they almost feel they have improved the actual ride which to be honest I cant explain, on some point and squirt twisty b roads they were brilliant also, I really cant praise these tyres enough and they are sports touring tyres but feel a million times better than the awful dunlops, if they last as long as they say these are a bargain 5 stars out of 5.

Milo Minderbinder

Reaction score
I had a puncture in my Dunlops last week and used it as an opportunity to upgrade to Pilot road 4s - what a difference, fantastic tyres, more of an improvement than I thought possible.

Mtpete

Reaction score
I'm thinking about going for a set of Michelin power one or Bridgestone BT 003 RS has any one tried either of these on the MT yet? I had a set of BT 003 RS on my 09 R1 and was very impressed, supper sticky and warmed up very fast but I love the look of the power ones.

Mtpete

Reaction score
No I haven't, but I will talk to my tyre guy in the next week or two and let you know. I hope there good for the MT because they really are a great bit of rubber.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
I'm thinking about going for a set of Michelin power one or Bridgestone BT 003 RS has any one tried either of these on the MT yet? I had a set of BT 003 RS on my 09 R1 and was very impressed, supper sticky and warmed up very fast but I love the look of the power ones.
Pete, IMO you have to read this post first from the thread "what causes a speed wobble":

Got a reply from Tyre guy at MCN, see below, but as already said Bridgestone BT023 or T30's are not suitable for the MT09

Hi Steve,

here's what our tyre expet had to say....

It has always been the case that not all tyres suit all bikes and the bikes that tyres manufacturers can have problems with tend to be big touring machinery and naked bikes.

The only tyres that Bridgestone has approved on the MT-09 are the S20 and BT-016 Pro, but these are both sports tyres and not what you’re looking for. I cannot say why Bridgestone has not approved the use of sports-touring tyres on this bike; it could be that they haven’t tested them yet or that they have tested them and found they didn’t measure up to the performance standards required for approval on this particular bike.

However, the following sports-touring tyres have been approved by their manufacturers for fitment on your bike, so you can be assured that high-speed stability will be fine. In alphabetical order:
· Continental RoadAttack 2 EVO
· Metzeler Roadtec Z8 M
· Michelin Pilot Road 4
· Pirelli Angel GT

All the best

Bryn Phillips
Sales & Technical

Cambrian Tyres Ltd

Hope to help you someway....

Mtpete

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys, looks like I got some more research to do yet.

emptyoh9

Reaction score
My rear S20 went in the bin today...slow puncture and it was getting towards the end of it's life showing a slight bit of squaring off at 2700 miles? does that seem about right to you guys? 2700 miles?

Anyway, i opted for a PR4 which i was put off by initially because of it being hyped up for it's wet weather performance, which although is important to some i mostly ride in the dry so ... We'll see how they go, once they are scrubbed in.

A bit of wet weather performance is always handy given how wank the weather is in the UK.... :p

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My rear S20 went in the bin today...slow puncture and it was getting towards the end of it's life showing a slight bit of squaring off at 2700 miles? does that seem about right to you guys? 2700 miles?

Anyway, i opted for a PR4 which i was put off by initially because of it being hyped up for it's wet weather performance, which although is important to some i mostly ride in the dry so ... We'll see how they go, once they are scrubbed in.

A bit of wet weather performance is always handy given how wank the weather is in the UK.... :p
On on my 2nd PR4 rear. Super grip in the dry and warm up in minutes. They're fantastic in the wet as well. I got 4000 miles out of the first one and although it was slightly starting to square off it still had bags of tread left. U won't be disappointed trust me. The front still looks new with 6200 miles on it (mite have something to do with never being in touch with the tarmac lol)! ;)

adam

Reaction score
On on my 2nd PR4 rear. Super grip in the dry and warm up in minutes. They're fantastic in the wet as well. I got 4000 miles out of the first one and although it was slightly starting to square off it still had bags of tread left. U won't be disappointed trust me. The front still looks new with 6200 miles on it (mite have something to do with never being in touch with the tarmac lol)! ;)
I took my bike to smc sheffield for it's 6000 mile service,only had it since may!! Anyway I put the PR4's on after 600 mile. I'm surprised I need a new rear already. It's done the 5400 but thought I'd get more. The guy at service said it just destroys tyres so a bit concerned about going for a softer compound.

flydnb

Reaction score
I took my bike to smc sheffield for it's 6000 mile service,only had it since may!! Anyway I put the PR4's on after 600 mile. I'm surprised I need a new rear already. It's done the 5400 but thought I'd get more. The guy at service said it just destroys tyres so a bit concerned about going for a softer compound.
get the Pirelli angel gts mate they have long life and grip, id be happy with 6000 miles on a rear on this bike though.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Since we dyno'd the bike (more power lol )! it's started wasting the rear tyre but I put that down to hooning everywhere lol.
Mite try a different tyre nxt time.

pipski99

Reaction score
Only at 2500 miles on my original Battlax but already decided to go with PR4 next. I had PR2 on my last bike and they rocked my world so the 4's have to be mind blowing I hope :D