2016 MT09 Rear rebound adjustment

wakers

Reaction score
Hi there got a new MT09 only had it a week, loving it but could do with a tad more rebound on the rear, does the 2016 model have rear rebound adjustment ?
I'm seeing settings that are recommended but for the life of me i can't see where you adjust it, probably just being a numpty...

Thanks

martin watson

Reaction score
Have a scout on here and you will see most people seem to be replacing the suspension as it's pretty crap, if your keeping it standard you just have to adjust it a bit at a time until you find a compromise that your happy with.

chump

Reaction score
the rebound adjuster is at the top of the shock - it's all upside down. accessed from the left side of the bike through the aperture in the frame. it's in the handbook.

turn fully clockwise until seated then out 1 turn, or 1/2 turn if you want really stiff.

wakers

Reaction score
the rebound adjuster is at the top of the shock - it's all upside down. accessed from the left side of the bike through the aperture in the frame. it's in the handbook.

turn fully clockwise until seated then out 1 turn, or 1/2 turn if you want really stiff.

Awesome thanks a few cables dangling down hiding it...

R6owdlad

Reaction score
Best getting it done professionally to suit your weight, driving etc. if you don't want to upgrade suspension.
Best £30 I've spent in a long while...

Jetty

Reaction score
Best getting it done professionally to suit your weight, driving etc. if you don't want to upgrade suspension.
Best £30 I've spent in a long while...
Ditto! Surprising how people aren't investigating the standard Yamaha suspension. By investing £30 to set the sag etc. then carefully adjusting for personal style and usually used road conditions, it is actually possible to get a fairly good setting. Many on here are telling people how many turns to make on adjustment. How does that work then? We're all different in height, weight, riding style and our roads differ too. If there was one perfect setting, we wouldn't be able to adjust out of it!

chump

Reaction score
Ditto! Surprising how people aren't investigating the standard Yamaha suspension. By investing £30 to set the sag etc. then carefully adjusting for personal style and usually used road conditions, it is actually possible to get a fairly good setting. Many on here are telling people how many turns to make on adjustment. How does that work then? We're all different in height, weight, riding style and our roads differ too. If there was one perfect setting, we wouldn't be able to adjust out of it!
that's right, we're all different. We all like different things. Sag for one does not suit another. Best bet is to learn how to do it yourself. Is there anything wrong in sharing ideas or experiences? I don't think so.

pavc

Reaction score
Had my tracer just over a month, at first left the suspension and seat height as supplied (seat height was on high setting). So far not touched the rebound settings, but have put the seat back to low even though at 6'2" found the lower position makes you feel part of the bike rather than perched on it. Found that when going around bends it was skipping rather than holding the road, turned the rear pre load up one level which improved it a lot and thought I would tackle the front end. I thought I would at first wind the pre load all the way down, but instead wound it down two rings. This made the front end a lot better for me, think will try it out at these settings for a while before doing any more tweaks, like looking into doing the sag setup as in you tube vids.

Not worth giving up on the standard suspension until one has tried to set it up the best one can, as it's quite a cost in replacing the shocks with aftermarket ones.

chump

Reaction score
you will eventually reach the same conclusion as so many other MT09 owners................

wakers

Reaction score
I'm quite happy with the suspension so far the roads around here are mostly bumpy and in poor condition, having said that I'm still running it in, thanks for the advice I'm not getting new units just yet ?

olivierzx

Reaction score
More than 90% of MT-09 owners still have stock suspension.

The aftermarket suspensions are delivered with the settings you ask for, this is why they seem better than original that were never adapted to you.

I think that 90% of motorbike riders don't know what SAG stands for ...

chump

Reaction score
More than 90% of MT-09 owners still have stock suspension.

The aftermarket suspensions are delivered with the settings you ask for, this is why they seem better than original that were never adapted to you.

I think that 90% of motorbike riders don't know what SAG stands for ...
enlighten me.

chump

Reaction score
Oh I see. A link to a poorly written how to guide. Not a word about why, or how the desired sag figures are determined.

chump

Reaction score
even so, setting sag to some arbitrary number and adjusting the adjusters you have available does not make crap suspension good.

wakers

Reaction score
In fairness there are so many variables that suspension isnt going to be suitable for everyone it's just not possible, I'm luckily average height, average weight so most things can be made to suit pretty good, other than the rear end not having enough rebound (which I've now adjusted) the bike feels pretty good...

olivierzx

Reaction score
even so, setting sag to some arbitrary number and adjusting the adjusters you have available does not make crap suspension good.
NO, but it's better than stock setup and it's enough for 90% of riders.

But you can try to find better number than the one used for many years in competition.
I'm sure that you're a very good fluids engineer, you should join Yamaha Factory Racing team to give them help.
Rossi will be happy to work with you.