2017 mt_09

bloggsy

Reaction score
Asked my dealer when he will get the 2017 MT-09 in stock, he said maybe the end of this month or early January so my name is down for a demo ride and if it is better than my 2015 MT-09 I could be tempted to upgrade, the only problem is I don't like the colours that the uk is going to get.

Last edited:

FJW

Reaction score
comparison ( improvements to previous model)

Asked my dealer when he will get the 2017 MT-09 in stock, he said maybe the end of this month or early January so my name is down for a demo ride and if it is better than my 2015 MT-09 I could be tempted to upgrade, the only problem is I don't like the colours that the uk is going to get.
.Do you know what the main upgrades are from the 2016 to 2017 ?
Will be interested to hear your views after a ride.
Thanks.
F

chump

Reaction score
orrible eadlight
rear number plate hanger thing on swingarm
fully adjustable forks and shock

donut

Reaction score

I think it looks nice in black and the improved night vision and better suspension may tempt me just so long as I'd be able to swap my Akra Ti from my existing bike to the new one.

sookyturner1

Reaction score
They've got them available in Aus now. Assist and slipper clutch, quick shifter and adjustable front forks (has adjustment on both sides rather than just one). Really nice to ride and much smoother than my 14 model. Styling similar to MT10 and after seeing them in the flesh make the previous models look dated imo (i hated the look of them originally but it grew on me). Yamaha really seemed to listen to the feedback from consumers on this model.

Edit: suspension error

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm still not convinced, though it is very nice to see Yamaha taking on board customer feedback and making changes where needed.

Personally though i won't be buying a new model, mainly as i'm not keen on the looks, especially that back end number plate thing, but i'm sure Evotech/Rizoma etc will be already making their own improved version, so i'll wait and see..

But it's also bang for your buck - the main complaint with MT09s seems to be suspension, but you could go and buy a two year old bike and fit it with a full Maxton setup cheaper than a new model.

The slipper type clutch isn't something i'd go for as i actually like the process of changing gear, and i'm really not sold on the new mt10 front end, but when i've seen a few in the flesh it might grow on me.

Still, i'd say if getting anew one makes people happy, then go for it, i'll be happy to have a nosey round one and more MT09s and bikers on the road has to be a good thing right?!

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
They've got them available in Aus now. Assist and slipper clutch, quick shifter and adjustable front forks (has rebound adjusters on both sides rather than just one). Really nice to ride and much smoother than my 14 model. Styling similar to MT10 and after seeing them in the flesh make the previous models look dated imo (i hated the look of them originally but it grew on me). Yamaha really seemed to listen to the feedback from consumers on this model.
Happy new year!!
Slipper clutch and quick shifter are optional for the price of 500 euros and not std..
Forks has got compession dumping in left leg and rebound in the right...
New look seems familiar.. if it is offered at the same price as 1st gen it will be one reason for some of us to "update"..

Last edited:

sookyturner1

Reaction score
Happy new year!!
Slipper clutch and quick shifter are optional for the price of 500 euros and not std..
Forks has got compession dumping in left leg and rebound in the right...
New look seems familiar.. if it is offered at the same price as 1st gen it will be one reason for some of us to "update"..
Cheers and same to you! Whoops, forgot that one side was compression and the other rebound. In Aus the slipper clutch and quick shifter come standard along with ABS and TCS. In Europe is ABS and TCS standard?

chump

Reaction score
Cheers and same to you! Whoops, forgot that one side was compression and the other rebound. In Aus the slipper clutch and quick shifter come standard along with ABS and TCS. In Europe is ABS and TCS standard?
Yes. In the EU all new bikes over 125 have to be fitted with ABS from 2017.

Seadoc

Reaction score
I took a test drive on the 2017 about a week ago and really liked it! Hopping from my 2016 model on to the new one the changes were immediately apparent. The suspension upgrade is very noticeable (apart from the improvements to the forks it also has the XSR shock I was told) , the clutch pull was a lot lighter, seat is more comfy, fueling is further improved compared to my 2016. I thought the engine breaking was also softened a bit. The quick shifter is very nice too.

I agree the looks are a bit polarizing but the number plate holder will be the first thing I would get rid of and I think a Puig sport wind deflector will round the front off nicely. BTW, the new front light setup and lower mounted dash makes the airflow to the rider smoother too.

Best of all here in NZ the new model is only $159 more expensive than the 2016 ABS ( no TC on NZ) model.

I am picking up a blue one on 6 Jan!

demonty

Reaction score
I

I agree the looks are a bit polarizing but the number plate holder will be the first thing I would get rid of!
I think an XSR owner would snap that up as I think it might suit an XSR

Den