Anyone know where I might get a spare throttle tube?

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is it in standard form, what to file would be down to trial and error and personal preference. Its a 1/4 throttle by the looks so you wouldn't really want to file too much.

Sent from outer space
Which bit r we filing?

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

RipGroove

Reaction score
The tape shows the stock radius and the pen shows what I'm thinking I might file...

I'm just guessing here mind lol

Sent from outer space

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The tape shows the stock radius and the pen shows what I'm thinking I might file...

I'm just guessing here mind lol

Sent from outer space
I'm being a bit thick here cos I can't really see WTF I'm supposed to be filing. Lol it is Sunday...

RipGroove

Reaction score
It is a tricky one to explain, I put tape on the end of the throttle and cut it with a craft knife so it follows the edge of the diameter of the stock throttle. Then I marked in pen where I want to remove material. Heres a pic of it done, the arrows poiny to where I removed material...

Basically, the smaller the diameter that the cable sits on the slower the throttle response, obviously we dont want to slow down the whole range of the throttle se the theory is to make only the first part of the diameter smaller, and blend it out to match the larger stock diameter, thus the cam shape.

Sent from outer space

Last edited:

RipGroove

Reaction score
Going to test ride it now, back shortly.

Sent from outer space

sporti

Reaction score
It is a tricky one to explain, I put tape on the end of the throttle and cut it with a craft knife so it follows the edge of the diameter of the stock throttle. Then I marked in pen where I want to remove material. Heres a pic of it done, the arrows poiny to where I removed material...

Basically, the smaller the diameter that the cable sits on the slower the throttle response, obviously we dont want to slow down the whole range of the throttle se the theory is to make only the first part of the diameter smaller, and blend it out to match the larger stock diameter, thus the cam shape.

Sent from outer space
Your theory is correct.

It is also down to personal preference. The start of the lobe is the part to file as you have done.

I have ridden with Tox's 1st effort, which was near on perfect. Subsequent attempts were no as successful as the 1st. A bit of trial & error may be required. The 1st effort took a lot more of the cam in a straight line to approximately 1/5th of the throttle tube. Start small & work your way up to it.

Think of it this way....the total diameter of the cam is 100% of your throttle. Your only want to adjust the initial bite of the acceleration, yeah? Be a little more aggressive with your modification for this 1st section of tube to smooth the throttle response out, then back to the stock cam profile.

Last edited:

RipGroove

Reaction score
And the verdict is.....?

Sooooo much better! Roll on is no where near as jerky, I reckon I'll be permanently in A mode now. I won't be needing that spare throttle tube now put it that way :)

Sent from outer space

RipGroove

Reaction score
This is what I've done, it's definitely worth doing IMO.

Dimensions are pretty close to what I've done.

Sent from outer space

RipGroove

Reaction score
Your theory is correct.

It is also down to personal preference. The start of the lobe is the part to file as you have done.

I have ridden with Tox's 1st effort, which was near on perfect. Subsequent attempts were no as successful as the 1st. A bit of trial & error may be required. The 1st effort took a lot more of the cam in a straight line to approximately 1/5th of the throttle tube. Start small & work your way up to it.

Think of it this way....the total diameter of the cam is 100% of your throttle. Your only want to adjust the initial bite of the acceleration, yeah? Be a little more aggressive with your modification for this 1st section of tube to smooth the throttle response out, then back to the stock cam profile.
Got any measurements of the one that worked out best? Be good it we could get this information out there so less trial and error for people. I've added my measurements to the post above, but again I was just spit balling. Result is fantastic though.

Sent from outer space

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is what I've done, it's definitely worth doing IMO.

Dimensions are pretty close to what I've done.

Sent from outer space
Can I see a pic of it done without the tape on. Gonna go and have a crack at it this afternoon before I go for a blast in the sunshine

RipGroove

Reaction score
Can I see a pic of it done without the tape on. Gonna go and have a crack at it this afternoon before I go for a blast in the sunshine

Material removed...

Arrows pointing to where material has been removed...

Sent from outer space

sporti

Reaction score
Got any measurements of the one that worked out best? Be good it we could get this information out there so less trial and error for people. I've added my measurements to the post above, but again I was just spit balling. Result is fantastic though.

Sent from outer space
I'll work on getting the dims over the next week or so.

Glad you had a good result :)

RipGroove

Reaction score
I'll work on getting the dims over the next week or so.

Glad you had a good result :)
Awesome you'll have to let me know, be curious to see if I got it right or theres more to be had.

Sent from outer space

Chris West

Reaction score
Mr Groove, I did have another we go at it after my initial routing session.
But still it only extends a couple of cms from the nipple clamp graduating from about 3mm.
I didn't need to work on the flanges put my effort into the groove.
If you know where Im coming from ;-)

RipGroove

Reaction score
Do you mean you started your cam down in the groove (red arrow) somwhere down near where the cable nipple goes (blue arrow)?

Is this where you filed (but inside the groove)?

Sent from outer space

Last edited: