Bike cleaning tips

DCsomerset

Reaction score
Hi All,

My MT-09 is the first bike I have owned and wondered if anyone could share any tips on cleaning, not too much in detail just general cleaning after a bit of a dirty ride maybe.

Currently the chain etc. looks a bit grubby so I wouldn't mind giving that a thorough clean.

If anyone could recommend some good products or how they might go about cleaning there way it would be very helpful.

Cheers

DC

flydnb

Reaction score
Hi mate most bikes are pretty similar , the best advice i can give is to go on youtube and look at what people do , for your chain get some chain cleaner spray it on , you could use a brush if its really sludgey then wipe dry, once dry add your lube/wax some people warm there chain up by running it round the block first but i never bother, also if you have a standard mt09 then get some bobbins and a paddock stand this makes light work of all cleaning duties .

Unfazed

Reaction score
Normally I use muc off chain cleaner when the chain gets really mank but little and often with the spray is the best way. Paraffin also works but messy

Body work I've been using mucoff as I got a job lot of it cheap and it does a reasonable job if you give it wine over with a damp cloth while it's on. Spray on/wash off doest get it all off.

AutoGlym car wash works really well. On the wheels, car wash or muc off but on the back wheel where the chain lube gets deposited, WD40 or something like that sprayed onto a cloth gets the crap off.

Always give the bike 2 good rinses first before getting in with the cleaner of choice as you can make a paste with the dust and you get swirl marks eventually

Give a good dry off with a microfibre cloth and you're done :D

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
Ive been using WD40 Chain Cleaner, does the job well, and Castrol Chain Lube... Just bought WD40 Lube (tried the Wax... Didnt like it).

M&P have a good offer on if you buy 2

Search results for: 'Wd40'

General cleaning using Muc Off, sponge off and when dry, i use WD40 Polish, then cover in WD40 Silicon Spray... Stuff smells like bubblegum.

Going to try snow foam soon...

bobh

Reaction score
Don't use a stiff brush to scrub the chain - it can damage the O-rings or force dirt into them.

My own somewhat unconventional method of cleaning a chain is to lube it generously with engine oil, wipe off any excess and take it for a run. Repeat as necessary. Then clean all the oil fling off the swing arm and the back of the bike (and if you're feeling really OCD, the collection of crud inside the front sprocket cover and underneath the chain guard). Re-lube with your preferred product once all the "loose" oil has been flung off and the chain starts to look dry.

If you fit a Scottoiler (or other chain lube device) it will do this job for you.

Personally I prefer to use Wurth (or Dr Bike - I think it's the same thing re-labelled) High Performance Dry Lube - being dry it doesn't collect dirt like waxes or grease, so the chain rarely needs cleaning.

MTrider

Reaction score
I used to use chain lubricants with wax to get a good sticky chain that was well lubed for a long period. I still sprayed fairly often at around every 400 kms. It was a pain in the a.. to clean the rear wheel, frame, svingarm, not to mention the chain, which had collected all the sand and dust from my favourite roads.
Now I use something called Lubral FLC 1010 (perhaps a danish product, but googled it and found something quite identical called Elcalub FLC1010). Its a thin oil, not sticy at all. I lube every 200 - 300 kms, little but often, make sure the o-rings gets oiled too, and take of excess oil with a cloth. It stains the wheel a little, but if you wipe off thoroughly, its not bad at all. The good thing is, the chain allways looks as new, never dirty and thick and sticky. And the spray on the wheel can be removed just with a cloth.

Cleaning the rest of the bike is as you feel for. There have been some good advise in this thread. One thing people forgot to mention, is:
Take it out in the sun, have a beer, and enjoy the whole proces! :)

jay86jay

Reaction score
for my chain i find the motul cleaner is really good and you dont need much . leave it 5 mins to work in and give it a scrub with a cheap soft brush . i use a tooth brush but im ocd lol