Bye Bye Suzuki, hello MT09

Deguello

Reaction score
Hi all,

Well, after procrastinating for nearly a year, I've finally decided that my GSX1250, is going off to make a new owner very happy and I'm going to order a new MT09. I just don't use the Suzi enough, mainly because I live somewhere where it is very difficult to get my bike out and the Suzuki is so damn heavy. I always just end up taking my Firestorm instead.

I use the bike to commute in nice weather (70 mile round trip mainly A road and motorway), and for weekend blasts. I'm also going to dust off my ACU licence and do some hill climbs and a few track days.

I take a pillion sometimes, on day trips out.

I'm drawn toward the standard MT09 in orange. The Tracer looks nice with it's bigger tank, but what's the difference in the rider modes. Presumably its a bit softer? The front of the Street Rally looks like a scooter to my eyes, not really digging that. And the Tracker I'm just not sure about at all, although it does vaguely remind me of an old TDR250 that I had.

What is the opinion of the MT riding masses on the standard bike, given my use?

And ABS or No ABS?

Thanks

Deguello

Last edited:

derek28862

Reaction score
hi i have just got the street rally for doing exactly the same thing and sold a sx kawasaki 1000 and love mine

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Any colour MT will do as they're all the same lol.
I like the look of the tracer but if ur arse gets anywhere near as wet on it as it does on the MT I won't get it

flydnb

Reaction score
Any colour MT will do as they're all the same lol.
I like the look of the tracer but if ur arse gets anywhere near as wet as mine does on regular trips to didcot to meet guys for fun in the lav at mcdonalds I won't get it
yeah suppose it makes sense.

stevecbr

Reaction score
I've had my MT 15 months now, used as daily commute, weekly trips to the coast in the summer (100-120 mile trips), occasionally take wife/kids as pillion, and fast ride outs with mates on sportsbikes. Havent done a trackday yet, but know others who have and have had no problems on the MT.
Cant fault it, does what I want, cheap to insure and does 50-55mpg.
Sounds like it will suit what you need from a bike

Deguello

Reaction score
Thanks guys (and gals?)

Any recommendations for dealers in the Kent/South East area? I don't want to get ripped off, but by the same token I'd rather pay a bit more, knowing I'll get looked after if there's a problem. I think I have Laguna at Maidstone, The Bike Shop at Faversham and Sondel at Blackfen as my nearest dealers, but I'd travel a bit further if necessary.

Andy09

Reaction score
Are you my twin?

I just sold my Suzuki 1250 and have just bought an orange MT-09. And I also have a VTR1000 as well.

I just love the yamaha, so light, so much torque and just a blast to ride. It puts a huge smile on your face every time I ride it.

I wanted ABS but didn't like the colours so I decided and the standard orange because I think that is the best colour.

Cheers Andy.