• YES, I've had more than one replacement tensioner

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Still waiting for part to arrive over 2 weeks now
It's a joke

yup!!! my dealer told me
"it's nothing to worry about. won't hurt the engine" i guess they already started running away.

This thread is making me paranoid. 9K and no noises (of which I am aware!?!)

9K?!? that's a lot... if you haven't noticed anything then probably there isn't a thing that's wrong with yours there... good on you!
glad to know someone's got a decent bike out of the box.

Motley

Reaction score
Today morning after warming up the bike to go for work, i hear..... "the noise".
My MT has now 1850 km.
The "sound" starts at 3.000 rpm and it hears until the 4.000 rpm, then dissapears.
I can hear it when the bike is on stand in neutral and when i ride it in all gears (1-2-3-4, in 5&6 the air noice cover the "sound").
The "sound" is like KRRRR...... seems like the sound of pre-detonation (if i use the correct word) but of course isn't that.
I hear it from the right side of motor, at the place where cam chain tensioner is...
I report it to the Yamaha mechanic and we will arrange to visit him next Tuesday....will see....
The fact is when i high rev the motor, the sound dissapears and, after a few minutes, when i commute in low revs the "sound" apears again..

Same symptoms as I had at about the same distance. Tighten the cct, you'll hear it improve. If the noise comes back your cct has loosened and should be replaced.

My Toy

Reaction score
Right , ok.
Took it for service, chattered on way there !
They took it out for test ride and it was bloody silent!!!
They said they're not gonna touch it till it chatters constant! ? But they did say they'll do it, as long as they can hear it.
So I rode 20mile home and it chattered for half it! Lol
So to sum up, if it ain't broke,,they won't fix it !
I think I'll be doing that fix I saw linked on here somewhere.
By the way, is anyone else's seat loose?
Be careful with that. A friend had his in to the dealer for adjustment and after TWO FULL TURNS of the bolt the noise was still there. They wouldn't go any further in case it went "out of range" New part was ordered.

Reaction score
Out of interest, does any one know what the worse case scenario is here.
Yes its a mechanical noise that shouldn't be there but are we looking at timing gears jumping a tooth?
Or is it just massively irritating?

Any one been told not to ride because of it?

Lighty

Reaction score
When in dealers talking to service manager blokey about the problem, he said the "New" part is listed but if you try to order it , it hasn't a part number.,,,,, B/S ! Maybe ?
It also could be the case that all of you that have had this "new" part fitted and then it started again ,, have in reality just had mechanic tighten it! ?
Has anyone seen the old part after it has been replaced?
I bet they said it's got to be sent back to Yamaha to be looked at for warranty claim. B/S ?
Maybe I'm just a paranoid android ; )

Reaction score
Out of interest, does any one know what the worse case scenario is here.
Yes its a mechanical noise that shouldn't be there but are we looking at timing gears jumping a tooth?
Or is it just massively irritating?

Any one been told not to ride because of it?

It's just like if u throw a cam belt on a car. Not good

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

Reaction score
When in dealers talking to service manager blokey about the problem, he said the "New" part is listed but if you try to order it , it hasn't a part number.,,,,, B/S ! Maybe ?
It also could be the case that all of you that have had this "new" part fitted and then it started again ,, have in reality just had mechanic tighten it! ?
Has anyone seen the old part after it has been replaced?
I bet they said it's got to be sent back to Yamaha to be looked at for warranty claim. B/S ?
Maybe I'm just a paranoid android ; )

I saw mine after it was taken out. And the part number ends in 03. Can get u the full part number when I get back to the workshop....!

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

Reaction score
I started getting the odd rattle, so when i took the bike in for its 1st service i mentioned it and sure enough when the mechanic had a listen ......nothing!! He told me they hadnt heard of any issues, but to bring it back if it got worse. Since removing the baffles i realised i wont be able to hear it anyway, so whilst i was there today having a mooch around i mentioned it to the sales guy, adding the issues that have been raised on this forum. He went on his computer and it immediately showed that the original part had been superseded with a new part ending in 03.That was good enough for him to put in a warranty claim.He didnt want to start the bike up or take it for a spin,he just took my word for it and ordered the replacement part there & then. I cant fault JT's Swansea for the way they dealt with the issue,especially after hearing some of bullshit that's being spouted out by other dealers. I can only urge others who are being fed bull by their dealers to quote the FACT that the part has been superseded (twice). JT's are hoping the part will be in next week, and hopefully yamaha have got it right this time so that will be the end of it.

Reaction score
I started getting the odd rattle, so when i took the bike in for its 1st service i mentioned it and sure enough when the mechanic had a listen ......nothing!! He told me they hadnt heard of any issues, but to bring it back if it got worse. Since removing the baffles i realised i wont be able to hear it anyway, so whilst i was there today having a mooch around i mentioned it to the sales guy, adding the issues that have been raised on this forum. He went on his computer and it immediately showed that the original part had been superseded with a new part ending in 03.That was good enough for him to put in a warranty claim.He didnt want to start the bike up or take it for a spin,he just took my word for it and ordered the replacement part there & then. I cant fault JT's Swansea for the way they dealt with the issue,especially after hearing some of bullshit that's being spouted out by other dealers. I can only urge others who are being fed bull by their dealers to quote the FACT that the part has been superseded (twice). JT's are hoping the part will be in next week, and hopefully yamaha have got it right this time so that will be the end of it.
will try that next week. Mentioned it to my dealer 4 times now, mechanic took mine out yesterday and said it sounded the same as their demo, so he thinks no issue. Its more irrating than anything else, 3-4000 rpm and its there, and higher ir lower revs and its quiet

Reaction score
Got a call from the dealer today mine as arrived
in stock will update with which one is fitted

Reaction score
Mine started at 900 miles when it was adjusted. Adjusted again at 1300 miles, which had a real negative effect and made it much worse. Dealer very good and processed a warranty claim straight away. Just awaiting part, which I'm told will be 3 days to arrive. I was told by mechanic that he had adjusted 2 full turns to get things quiet, but wound back as we'll out of yamaha tolerances.

Basic advise from yamaha technical is that bike should be ok for the commute, as they not had one go bang yet !! But as I know about it.......I dread to think !

Pity I don't use for the commute and prefer a more enthusiastic ride. When will yamaha get there act together and issue a recall.

Fitted by my Dealer today, the bike is at last normal again. Sounds lovely with no rattle.

Just waiting for Warranty Claim on the rear suspension now, as I have rust on the welds. I know of one other who has already had his replaced at my Dealership !!

Reaction score
Ha ha, I see what you did there.
Eyup Craig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bas !! My new username mate as bloody Ipad doesnt like the Forum. Cam chain tensioner done at SMC today mate. Top job, no more rattle !

Reaction score
Hi, i read in the service manual about the CCT on page 230-233 how to check and adjust the CCT, have anyone done this?

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
I haven't the manual but i can describe how my mechanic fix the rattle noise, for the moment.
Last Friday morning i was waiting outside the dealershop and the mechanic had the opportunity to hear "the rattling sound" between 3-4.000 rpm.
He took out the screw of the tensioner and with an allen key he gave 1/4 turn as i was keeping the engine between 3-4k...
That time he saw me -without holding the allen key- that when i rev up the tensioner was tighten.... when i lowered the rpm the tensioner was loosen...
As we don't hear any rattling anymore i let it cold... i left the bike there and used metro... when i came back and start the engine the "rattle" appeared at 2.800...
I call the mechanic and we replay the above procedure gaving 1/4 more in cct screw, 1/2 turn in total...
Riding all weekend i realize that the engine loves high rpm.... and maybe high rev use is the sollution... because the "rattle phenomenon" appear after the engine-running period (in that period i didn;t drive the bike on steady gas or in low rpm through a traffic jam as i do now).
Anyway i hope all you guys you put new cct, do the test of low rpm use for a few seconds and please wright down your conclusions.

Last edited:

boro

Reaction score
Hi Boro,I have taken the bike to the dealer (Motorcycle Central) to report the sounds.Mike,the mechanic there, heard the sounds and said they are ones he has heard before from Yamaha tensioners.
I specifically told him I was not at the point where it was concerning me,as so far, the noise only happens when cold and as soon as the oil pressure comes up ,goes away ( around 1 minute ).If it gets to the point where it doesn't stop after warm up,I will go back.I might also ask to listen to a demo bike to compare sounds.
This sound I get is not a tick or a rattle.

Hi PaulG got ,mine into Red Baron after a wait and bit of a struggle, all done now and sounds like a different bike....

PaulG

Reaction score
Did they fit a new CCT or adjust the existing one?
My bike has begun to make the noise less frequently.