cam chain tensioner replacement

stevecbr

Reaction score
Mine an S1 CCT.It does rattle.but some days more than others. I have been to my dealers 4 times, they say it sounds the same as their demo bike, so I complained to Yamaha UK. I mentioned modified CCT's and replacement parts, and this is their response:
Dear Mr Burrows

We thank you for your enquiry regarding your Yamaha MT-09 and are sorry to hear of your concerns regarding any possible excessive cam chain noise.

As you may appreciate it is always difficult to comment upon a reported noise, although if having heard it, your dealer considers it to be characteristic of this model, we would in the circumstance suggest that there is no cause for concern here.

A small number of MT-09 have had their cam chain tensioner adjusted in response to concerns and in a very few cases, thereafter replaced.

The fact that you cam chain tensioner has "01" stamped on it, doesn't mean that it needs to be automatically replaced, for one from a later production run.

Please however keep in contact with your dealer, should you have any further concerns, regarding your machine.

Regards,

Customer Service
Service Department
After Sales Division

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mine an S1 CCT.It does rattle.but some days more than others. I have been to my dealers 4 times, they say it sounds the same as their demo bike, so I complained to Yamaha UK. I mentioned modified CCT's and replacement parts, and this is their response:
Dear Mr Burrows

We thank you for your enquiry regarding your Yamaha MT-09 and are sorry to hear of your concerns regarding any possible excessive cam chain noise.

As you may appreciate it is always difficult to comment upon a reported noise, although if having heard it, your dealer considers it to be characteristic of this model, we would in the circumstance suggest that there is no cause for concern here.

A small number of MT-09 have had their cam chain tensioner adjusted in response to concerns and in a very few cases, thereafter replaced.

The fact that you cam chain tensioner has "01" stamped on it, doesn't mean that it needs to be automatically replaced, for one from a later production run.

Please however keep in contact with your dealer, should you have any further concerns, regarding your machine.

Regards,

Customer Service
Service Department
After Sales Division

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

slowrider

Reaction score
report!!!

i don't know if it's my ears or just my imagination but i think it is still a bit noisy sometimes... low rpm around 2k. but not as much as before.
but anyway it is an easy fix for this problem. adjust it and then lock it up using a longer bolt than the stock one.
i saw it somewhere in this forum...

RipGroove

Reaction score
report!!!

i don't know if it's my ears or just my imagination but i think it is still a bit noisy sometimes... low rpm around 2k. but not as much as before.
but anyway it is an easy fix for this problem. adjust it and then lock it up using a longer bolt than the stock one.
i saw it somewhere in this forum...
http://www.fz09.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2363

Sent from outer space

Birdy

Reaction score
Checked mine today .....drum role.......s2! I think s2 is the one with the intermittent rattle LOL

Birdy

Reaction score
I understand TT has S2 as a replacement...fnarr....only joking mate it will be fine ...probably... nothing to be worried about...probably....:)

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I understand TT has S2 as a replacement...fnarr....only joking mate it will be fine ...probably... nothing to be worried about...probably....:)
Lol. I've done about 1500 miles with this CCT and so far heh hum.... all is well. Probably ;)

flydnb

Reaction score
im not sure this S2 S1 thing means anything , triple when the tensioner goes does it rattle really loud on decel ?

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
im not sure this S2 S1 thing means anything , triple when the tensioner goes does it rattle really loud on decel ?
Yes. Lots......
Also if u hold the power on between 4-5k revs while traveling and move ur rite knee away from the bike u will hear it more clearly...

UnluckySlats

Reaction score
Quick update, just got my bike back from the dealer with a new CCT and its an S1 with a white dot on it.
I checked the dealers new arrivals and they have this same CCT on them.

Luismn

Reaction score
Quick update, just got my bike back from the dealer with a new CCT and its an S1 with a white dot on it.
I checked the dealers new arrivals and they have this same CCT on them.
I also had my CCT replaced this week! It is the same you mentioned ( S1 with a white dot). The rattle sound vanished almost completely, but I still hear a smooth rattling. I will pass by the shop to get a slight adjustment! I'll keep you updated

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
Last Friday i went to the dealershop and said to the mechanic that the rattle noise was heared again sometimes.
He immediatelly asked me for the "number registration card", copied it and send by fax a warranty claim for CCT replacement...
So now i'm waiting for his call when the new CCT arrives...

Bon

Reaction score
Ok. Reading this thread with interest. Mine is a spanker . Had it for almost 2 weeks and have only done 150 miles. [12hr shifts are the reason !] Ive got the ABS version and checked the CCT today. Mine has S1 and a white dot on the casing. I presume that the white dot indicates some kind of "mod" to it. On start up the bike sounds slightly noisy [or what I would call "gutteral"] compared to my old Thundercat and before that a Bandit 600. [which were both very very quiet]. On riding the 09, its quiet enough till dropping the throttle off but nothing worth worrying about But. [theres always a bloody BUT isn't there !] If you stretch your legs wide [embarrassing but all in the interest of education you understand !] she s a bit noisy, but not again anything I would worry about yet.
Ill ave a word with Saul at Flitwick when the 600 service comes around and see what he has to say. He is a very good and knowledgable bloke and I would trust what he has to say.

As an aside, is it just mine that the engine goes silent and deadly smooth once I get to 6th gear ???

As another aside, still running in, but in Std mode, pulled away in 1st, shifted to second at 6K then dropped throttle and belted it on and up came the front wheel. Only by a few inches but made me chuckle !!

Fcucking AWSOME engine !

Last edited:

flydnb

Reaction score
Ok. Reading this thread with interest. Mine is a spanker . Had it for almost 2 weeks and have only done 150 miles. [12hr shifts are the reason !] Ive got the ABS version and checked the CCT today. Mine has S1 and a white dot on the casing. I presume that the white dot indicates some kind of "mod" to it. On start up the bike sounds slightly noisy [or what I would call "gutteral"] compared to my old Thundercat and before that a Bandit 600. [which were both very very quiet]. On riding the 09, its quiet enough till dropping the throttle off but nothing worth worrying about But. [theres always a bloody BUT isn't there !] If you stretch your legs wide [embarrassing but all in the interest of education you understand !] she s a bit noisy, but not again anything I would worry about yet.
Ill ave a word with Saul at Flitwick when the 600 service comes around and see what he has to say. He is a very good and knowledgable bloke and I would trust what he has to say.

As an aside, is it just mine that the engine goes silent and deadly smooth once I get to 6th gear ???

As another aside, still running in, but in Std mode, pulled away in 1st, shifted to second at 6K then dropped throttle and belted it on and up came the front wheel. Only by a few inches but made me chuckle !!

Fcucking AWSOME engine !
try it at higher rpm for real fun, that's how to start the mt 09 infamous long floater.

lou

Reaction score
Mine was already S2 and when it was replaced last week it said S1 so I am now totally confused Lou

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
I just did the change of CCT in my bike..
The new tensioner is S1 but -as the mechanic explain to me- the last code number is 3 than 1 and 2 which had before..
No more ratling noise, which was increased the last days between 4-6K rpm.
As i saw in my own eyes after the installation, the new cct doesh;t tight more when the revs up, or loose when revs comes down (when the allen key is on the bolt).
So, if it is now possible, please put mine MT in those that have changed the cct and have no more "rattling" sounds.... yet.