Carbon Fibre - Extended Front Mudguard and Extended Rear Hugger

Spot

Reaction score
As no-one yet seems to be making a decent extended front mudguard or rear hugger I wondered how difficult it would be to have one manufactured in carbon fibre.
Rather than doing "real work" i've been having a bit of a google-fest this morning and there do seem to be a number of local companies who are prepared to do small runs of stuff like this.
But.... It seems there is a substantial initial CAD design and mould cost of around £750 for each item (yikes!) which is a bit of a show stopper for a one off.
So I wondered how many of you would also be interested in a carbon fibre extended front mudguard and hugger?
If enough people are interested i'll pursue this further. It's just an idea at the moment so obviously I don't have any costs, etc but just wondered how popular such items would be?

Twozup

Reaction score
Definately interested in rear hugger but would need to be reasonable price and cover right up to almost too of wheel. Kind of hard to commit until see pics/ mock up

Click [HERE] then {HERE}

Twozup

Reaction score
Would look better without the lip but I'm not that fussy as I said in another post I think function gonna have to override firm and keep me free from spray. Some carbon wrap like crotchrocket has will make it look bit better. Down to price now I guess....

Click [HERE] then {HERE}

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Would look better without the lip but I'm not that fussy as I said in another post I think function gonna have to override firm and keep me free from spray. Some carbon wrap like crotchrocket has will make it look bit better. Down to price now I guess....

Click [HERE] then {HERE}
I'd have that if they didn't "take the piss" on price as usual for their bits...!

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

marcusfordus

Reaction score
That's the best looking one so far I've seen, as TT says it's down to price from R&G.

Whats it worth ? as much as someone is willing to pay. So we can dictate by not buying it if they take the piss with the UK price. The internet is a big place and rather quick at getting reviews out there, so if we bought one, paid way over the odds and gave it a damning review it wouldn't do so well from that point on.
This forum does influence the UK MT-09 market as it pops up on all the search engines :)

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's rite my friend. Power to the people. Haven't u ever wondered how all these companies find us so quickly when they want to flog their "fantastic goods" to us. I have seen our forum links on ALOT of google searches to do with MT-09 so I have no doubt at all our reviews will filter down to the masses.

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

Birdy

Reaction score
Better looking than the french porpoise... sacre bleu !!!! £80 or so and will be breaking open my piggy bank , sorting thru the sixpences , florins, gas tokens, iou,s , changing my mind and waiting for a cheap one off fleabay , or nicking her purse and dammit ... i wear the trousers in this house.... what was that ... coming dear....:eek:

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Better looking than the french porpoise... sacre bleu !!!! £80 or so and will be breaking open my piggy bank , sorting thru the sixpences , florins, gas tokens, iou,s , changing my mind and waiting for a cheap one off fleabay , or nicking her purse and dammit ... i wear the trousers in this house.... what was that ... coming dear....:eek:
Haha. I know exactly what u mean...

Bel

Reaction score
As no-one yet seems to be making a decent extended front mudguard or rear hugger I wondered how difficult it would be to have one manufactured in carbon fibre.
Rather than doing "real work" i've been having a bit of a google-fest this morning and there do seem to be a number of local companies who are prepared to do small runs of stuff like this.
But.... It seems there is a substantial initial CAD design and mould cost of around £750 for each item (yikes!) which is a bit of a show stopper for a one off.
So I wondered how many of you would also be interested in a carbon fibre extended front mudguard and hugger?
If enough people are interested i'll pursue this further. It's just an idea at the moment so obviously I don't have any costs, etc but just wondered how popular such items would be?
I've been reading the board for a while (since October) but haven't posted up. I make carbon fibre parts for bikes. I have a box of MT-09 parts waiting to be made into moulds but cash is the main thing that kept me from being able to do it so far.

I did a extended fender with another guy for my Triumph Street Triple in 2009. Took absolutely ages to get it right. First added the fenda extenda and filled the gaps. Smoothed it back to look like one solid piece and then did a mould of it. That started my previous carbon fibre business (I sold it to my business partner in October 2012). That part is still on my bike and works a treat. When I started my new company that was my 1st part I got moulded. It has to much history for me not to do it again and it's normally a good seller (the extended hugger beats it hands down though). Since then I did a extended hugger (longer and wide) and a extended chain guard (30mm longer) as well.

I didn't realise you guys are in the same boat at the Street Triple guys. The 2013 ST hugger is a joke. I just bought a ST swingarm arm to make a longer and wider version of the 2013 hugger. I have the 3D scan of the hugger (and 2013 chainguard) already but it's a complicated shape. Luckily I know someone that might be able to help me manipulate the scan.

I have thought of 3 ways to extend the hugger.
- 3D file modified, then printed with a 3D printer and then moulded for production after test fitting
- Take the OEM part and leave the base in tact and then build it up in fibreglass till you have a part you can use to mould from
- Wait till you find someone else that has made it and buy it and modify it to suit.

I went to a engineering firm on Wednesday and he was saying that I could get a plastic injection mould done locally for about £1k (was for a smaller part though) and the part would be cheap to produce. Not that I have £1k lying around. I use 4 different factories to make my parts and carbon moulds tend to be cheaper than that. Hugger mould should be around £300-£500 depending on the end design.

Anyway just my input as I've done this a few times and busy doing it again with the 2013 Street Triple.

When I get the MT-09 parts moulded I'm come ask permission from the forum owners to post it up. Till then I'll keep a eye on this thread as I feel there is only one group that should give input into modified parts and that is the community of owners as they know the bike inside out and the ideas are always great that come out of the community.

If anyone would like to fabricate the extended hugger (with of course the MT-09 community's input) then come talk to me as I should be able to help out with producing it in carbon or plastic (carbon definitely, plastic is about 90% definite).

PS:I don't want to post up any commercial info as I don't feel it's fair on the forum as I'm not here to advertise my business just keep up to date on the MT-09.

PSS: Dennis you guys have a done a excellent job with the change over. After our last chat on email I've transferred 3 of the 4 FZ-09 domains to Yamaha USA. Strangely they haven't bothered with the MT-09 ones, give it time and Yamaha EU will probably come after the other lot as well.

Last edited:

Stan09

Reaction score
Pyramid Plastics are doing a huger & front fender extension, The front is on sale now. The huger should be in production in about 4-6 weeks. It's under $30 (quid). Sorry got an American key board, no pound sign. I don't like the front extension, but the huger extension looks cool.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pyramid Plastics are doing a huger & front fender extension, The front is on sale now. The huger should be in production in about 4-6 weeks. It's under $30 (quid). Sorry got an American key board, no pound sign. I don't like the front extension, but the huger extension looks cool.
Pictures please....

Stan09

Reaction score

Stan09

Reaction score
Hi TT.

Just had a thought there are some Vids on YouTube about Pyramid Plastics parts for the MT/FZ 09's.