CCT rattle - to ride or not to ride.....

Matt Bingham

Reaction score
My bikes developed a rattle between 3 and 4k, just started at 1300 miles. Sounds exactly like the CCT rattles I've seen on YouTube.

Supplying dealer can book the bike in for two weeks and have advised they've never had an MT09 with a CCT issue but I shouldn't ride it.

Thoughts? OK to ride or just dump off and make them fix it sooner?

UnluckySlats

Reaction score
My bikes developed a rattle between 3 and 4k, just started at 1300 miles. Sounds exactly like the CCT rattles I've seen on YouTube.

Supplying dealer can book the bike in for two weeks and have advised they've never had an MT09 with a CCT issue but I shouldn't ride it.

I would take it down and ask for courtesy bike
until they can look at it 2 weeks is ridiculous

Matt Bingham

Reaction score
I would take it down and ask for courtesy bike
until they can look at it 2 weeks is ridiculous
I agree but they have no space, they have offered to try and squeeze it in beforehand if I can leave it there for a week but they charge £20 for courtesy bikes. Their advice was to ring Yamaha and ask if they would subsidise the cost of the courtesy bike. I've always had good service at the dealer but I think Yam are putting the squeeze on dealers and making them foot the bill for courtesy bikes on warranty repairs.

Chances are i'll only do 200/300 miles before they can look at it but am unsure of whether it'll cause damage that might rear it's head in the future.

stevecbr

Reaction score
Mine has rattled from about 1500 miles, as you say about 4000 revs. It stopped at around 5000 miles, then started again at 6000 miles. Its now done over 10000 miles, and still rattles. Its been back to the dealer a few times, but they reckon its a characteristic of the bike. I suppose a race can would sort it!

fizzy

Reaction score

Had mine changed at 2600miles, took less than a hour to do in fact probably half a hour,,,,can't see why they can't fit you in sounds like poor customer service to me

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
I developed a rattle, went to dealer and talking to him about the cct, he said theyve swapped about 1/2 dozen, everyone went to Yam for testing, and according to Yam they havent found a faulty one yet... Suppose thats just dealer speak....

Still have the rattle..

misscrabstick

Reaction score
It takes like less than half an hour to change, I feel your dealer is being a cockwomble, not heard of anyone killing their engine due to riding with chain rattle so far, I am surprised these cct issues are coming up again, it would be interesting to know what is the reason for this.

misscrabstick

Reaction score
I developed a rattle, went to dealer and talking to him about the cct, he said theyve swapped about 1/2 dozen, everyone went to Yam for testing, and according to Yam they havent found a faulty one yet... Suppose thats just dealer speak....

Still have the rattle..
Ask your dealer to explain why then that Yamaha made a "modified tensioner"!

Matt Bingham

Reaction score
Update - dealer state that they cant find a rattle on my bike (they must be deaf) but I cant have it back for another week as it's got a failed fork seal which needs sorting before riding again. That'll be two weeks I've been without it and I bet it's still bloomin rattling when I pick it up.

marthy

Reaction score
It takes like less than half an hour to change, I feel your dealer is being a cockwomble, not heard of anyone killing their engine due to riding with chain rattle so far, I am surprised these cct issues are coming up again, it would be interesting to know what is the reason for this.
Someone in the other house had some issues and apparently the chain skip a tooth.

I have the APE manual CCT for close to 10K miles now... absolutely no issues and never had to readjust it as of right now. I did a "How to" in the other house, not that hard to DIY with very minimal tools. Just follow the procedure.

Well worth the $$$ for the peace of mind!

panark

Reaction score
Engine rattle

Hello guys and greetings from Greece!

I have a 2015 MT-09, which I bought brand new in August last year. A few weeks after, during cold start I noticed a knocking noise. It only lasted a couple of seconds and then just faded away.

I didn’t worry too much to be honest, I felt it was something minor and only came up randomly. I even mentioned it in the first 1,000 km service, the mechanic just said the same and proposed just to keep an eye on it.

As the winter passed by and weather became hotter, it would do it on every single start up. I called the dealer and he said we’d have a look at it on the 5,000 km service, which we did. In-between I started reading around the Internet and the magic words “belt tensioner” came up. So the decision was to replace it on warranty.

The part came and I left the bike at the workshop to have it replaced (had already 6,000 km at that time). Returned the day after, start the bike to go home and there she goes again: tack tack tack… And then faded away again. Both the mechanic and me had that baffled look on our face, couldn’t explain WTF.

We both agreed to monitor it for a couple of weeks. And then it became worse of course: not only it knocked on startup, it just rattled continuously to the point I felt the engine would fall apart in-between my legs.

Straight back to the dealer with 7,400 km on the clock. Now the idea was to replace the 20W-50 oil with a less viscous 10W-40. Still Yamalube, semi-synthetic – Yamaha apparently strictly prohibits full synthetic for this one, don’t ask me how’s that making any sense.

Dealer said the tensioner is actuated by the oil pressure built from the engine, so there was the possibility that thick oil would get a couple of seconds to circulate and therefore the knocking noise on cold start. Thinner oil would sort this out. Of course that doesn’t explain the rattling once the engine is at operating temperature, but nevertheless we had to try something.

Guess what: absolutely nothing changed, it’s even getting worse at higher ambient temperatures (we ‘re almost at 40 degrees Celsius these days). The next step is the Mechanic to contact the official importer in the country and ask for some advice.

Till then, any ideas of what could be wrong? Even if we do change the tensioner again, I don’t think it’s gonna make any difference as it should. Any proposals for you fellow MT-09 riders would be definitely appreciated.

And to make things a bit easier on what’s this noise and how exactly does it sound, I’m attaching a couple of videos for you to see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hjUrrZezRw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gZyqK5qDYg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fi9ljRg0ZY

Kinjane

Reaction score
There is a 4th generation cam chain tensioner available which is fitted along with an oil gallery modification so more oil is supplied to a revised tensioner design.
There are two part numbers,dependent on engine number. The very latest engines come with a different oil gallery design so do not need any modifications or additional tensioner.

As the 4th gen tensioner and the oil feed mod has only just become available then it would be wise to have your dealer replace your 2nd or 3rd generation tensioner with Yamaha's final solution to this problem.

https://www.docdroid.net/3Dowl5v/mt09new.pdf.html

Last edited:

panark

Reaction score
Kinjane, I have to words to thank you. I should be buying you a beer someday, somehow.

I'm off to the dealer first thing on Monday morning, with the bulletin at hand.

Thank you so much once again!

flydnb

Reaction score
There is a 4th generation cam chain tensioner available which is fitted along with an oil gallery modification so more oil is supplied to a revised tensioner design.
There are two part numbers,dependent on engine number. The very latest engines come with a different oil gallery design so do not need any modifications or additional tensioner.

As the 4th gen tensioner and the oil feed mod has only just become available then it would be wise to have your dealer replace your 2nd or 3rd generation tensioner with Yamaha's final solution to this problem.

https://www.docdroid.net/3Dowl5v/mt09new.pdf.html
Hi is this a recall will they fit this free , I have a 2014 abs ?

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It does eventually click over and tighten up again. The teeth on the cct are so far apart on the 1st 2 gen's hence the rattle for quite a while

Kinjane

Reaction score
Hi is this a recall will they fit this free , I have a 2014 abs ?
No not a recall, its listed as warranty work, so if you complain about the 'noise' the dealer carries out the remedial work and gets reimbursed for his labour under the warranty code shown at the bottom of the Tech sheet.

flydnb

Reaction score
No not a recall, its listed as warranty work, so if you complain about the 'noise' the dealer carries out the remedial work and gets reimbursed for his labour under the warranty code shown at the bottom of the Tech sheet.
Does this apply on a bike out of warranty?