Chain tension again

Kinjane

Reaction score
Remove, measure and replace. 30 minutes max. Where's the joke? I've owned bikes that take longer than that to replace a spark plug.

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Well you must be a handy man , it is difficult enough to adjust the rear shock without leaving skin all over the place. I have never tried to remove the shock , but some people really do faff around just to adjust the chain.

Kinjane

Reaction score
Sorry, should have read...... Remove ONE BOLT, measure and replace.
Not a lot of faff at all. You only need do this once to obtain the absolute minimum slack figure.

D

Deleted member 2690

Are you happy you have the left side lock nut and adjuster tight when you put some of the torque on the single nut?
What I mean is I would get it adjusted, tighten spindle a little then recheck adjusters are firmly in place before torquing it up the rest.
But that is in general, I got the Gilles adjusters ASAP and had no problems like this with them.
Just sourced the Gilles they look smart and we'll made....but can't see any index marks....are there any

Mr. Funtcase

Reaction score
@ Dunny65

I usually don't rely on index marks for lining up, being a builder I know that you can do a lot of squaring and truing with a fantastic piece of high tech equipment commonly refered to as a length of string.

Take a loop around your back tyre and extend each end of the string as far past your front wheel as possible, check it's not snagged on anything and tie off each end around something like a brick.

Carefully move each side until the string just grazes the front of the rear tyre without kinking, with the front wheel dead ahead it's easy to see if the rear is running true with the front, and is also a good way of checking your front is running true with the handlebars as it's easy to miss align the front suspension by hitting potholes and bumping up kerbs.

D

Deleted member 2690

Are you happy you have the left side lock nut and adjuster tight when you put some of the torque on the single nut?
What I mean is I would get it adjusted, tighten spindle a little then recheck adjusters are firmly in place before torquing it up the rest.
But that is in general, I got the Gilles adjusters ASAP and had no problems like this with them.
Checked those gilles out look well made but come with a "stick on" index? Poor considering their cost why haven't they been made with index on the actual metal. I have just bought these on a well know site for £34 Inc delivery Yamaha MT-09 Tracer 900 Sport Tracker Street Rally XSR900 Chain Adjusters | eBay
I'll post when I mount them

D

Deleted member 2690

OK fitted these adjusters opinion...appear well made bolt head is a nice snug fit index marks same colour as plate (no drama though still easy enough to read) and a direct replacement for the originals. Torqued up no problem. I would recommend at £34 Inc p&p and in various colours for you pimp squad guys out there.

PM2017

Reaction score
I agree with you on both , although when I asked in local yam dealers they said that both figures were correct . I also had a wiggle at the chain on a brand new MT waiting on its new owner , chain was rediculously tight ( in my eyes ) . I adjusted my chain to 20mm , and it seems fine .
My tension on picking up the bike from new was really tight imho. The MT 07 I had previously had an up to 45mm tension advice from the manual??